Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by egypt123 Mine is about 1/2" to 3/4" at the top of the shifter. Just took the car ...
    egypt123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Review: PISNUOFF's Custom Short Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by egypt123 View Post
    Mine is about 1/2" to 3/4" at the top of the shifter.
    Just took the car out for lunch and I'd say it's more like 1/2" or less from side to side while in gear. Again, much less than what I had with the stocker.

wcryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V Maggied

How much brian, I want one

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Just took the car out for lunch and I'd say it's more like 1/2" or less from side to side while in gear. Again, much less than what I had with the stocker.
    Guys, bear in mind that the likely culprit of side to side movement in gear is the shifter self locking bolt that you can get at from under the car. If it's too loose you will get very very sloppy shifter movement. Too tight and you won't be able to move the shifter.

I had major slop with my UUC shifter until I went under and tightened it up a few turns.

It's mostly trial and error here.
    Scott2012 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    Guys, bear in mind that the likely culprit of side to side movement in gear is the shifter self locking bolt that you can get at from under the car. If it's too loose you will get very very sloppy shifter movement. Too tight and you won't be able to move the shifter.

I had major slop with my UUC shifter until I went under and tightened it up a few turns.

It's mostly trial and error here.
    Is that the bolt connecting the shifter to the tranny linkage? If not, does anyone have a picture of where it might be? I was under the car this past weekend and it's hard to see anything up there around my Borla exhaust.

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Is that the bolt connecting the shifter to the tranny linkage? If not, does anyone have a picture of where it might be? I was under the car this past weekend and it's hard to see anything up there around my Borla exhaust.
    Yeah, that's the one. It's actually a nut I believe. Don't remember it was a while ago but you essentially have to wrap your arms around the exhaust to get to it.
    Scott2012 likes this.

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wcryan View Post
    How much brian, I want one

Here's a link to the ordering process.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...g-process.html

Zo6PwRd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    Yeah, that's the one. It's actually a nut I believe. Don't remember it was a while ago but you essentially have to wrap your arms around the exhaust to get to it.
    its a nut on the passenger side, and a allen head bolt on the drivers side a size 5 i believe(just installed a b&M two days ago.)
    Scott2012 likes this.

Just wanted to give everyone an update after some time using the shifter. So far I haven't had any problems and the shifter is performing great. I love the shorter throw and less play with it.

As for the mounting bolt, it is an allen head on one side and a nut on the other. Do not tighten down too hard on it or you won't be able to move the shifter. Also, grease is your friend when it comes to the rubber grommets on the shifter linkage and the white sleeve that goes over shifter ball.
    Scott2012 likes this.

garrettg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

I installed and am a bit surprised how much leverage has been lost, meaning the extra force it now takes from my arm to change gears. Could I have messed something up? The gear lever while in any gear has 1-2 inch of side to side slop play. The whole unit doesn't move now the uuc bushing are in place. This play seems to be more in the transmission linkage possibly at the front of the linkage than at the shifter connection point as I have that afore mentioned nut snug and can rock the unit right to left even while under the car when the shifter is in a gear. The shifts are very short and precise, but my fiancé will need to muscle up to drive the car. I use to be able to with just 1 finger shift it from 1st to 4th. This setup is precise but requires a person to be very committed to the shift change desired.

2manycars is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Did you have Randy shorten it?

If you did, you will lose some leverage in doing that.

PISNUOFF Guest

Garrett: The force required to enter the gate of each gear will increase with any short shifter as there is a loss in leverage. I'm concerned about the 1-2" of side play when in gear. I have seen this once before. Does it 'click' when entering 3rd gear? Think you can get a vid of that email it to me? .............................

Adam Boca is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS V

Can someone post photos or a .pdf of the install?

Thanks!

Adam Boca

Yes it snaps/clicks video on the way showing the play.

Thanks for the response on the lost leverage, just suprised how much; but its good for me as I come from putting 100k on a BM shifter in my SN95 so its all good.

I would like to thank Brian(PISNUOFF) for all his help, first class all the way with his modified shifter project.

PISNUOFF Guest

I spent a couple hours tonight diagnosing the issue and found the problem and a solution. The problem was worn nylon bushings on a couple of the returned stock shifters. Some of them had the o-rings completely demolished and the nylon wore out. I am having my die shop fab up some new ones to take up the excess clearance on the olderer returned shifters. I don't think anyone else's had this issue, but if anyone feels there is excess movement I'll be more than happy to send them new bushings.

Adam Boca - I have a Power Point file that I can email to you. It's too large to attach here. My email address is: ...................

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.