Cadillac Owners Forum banner
32K views 170 replies 47 participants last post by  LadySara 
#1 ·
JimmyH suggested I post my review of the Galaxy1000 in a seperate thread for better exposure.

http://www.galaxy1000.com

I FINALLY was able to get time to get the Galaxy1000 installed last weekend and have used it all week and can give a good report/review of it's function and operation.

INSTALL :

Install was VERY easy. The OnStar module is located on the passenger side of the trunk. To access you just need to remove 6 screw down fasteners that hold down the trim peice that is on the rear most part of the trunk and side trunk liner. After that, you can pull away the trunk line on the passenger to access the OnStar module and wiring. To install the Galaxy 1000, you unplug the only two connectors that go into the OnStar unit ( both are white AND are different shaped/keyed so NO WAY to get them confused/connected wrong) and plug them into the Galaxy1000 unit.

Mounting the unit is going to be an owner by owner decision. For me, I found that I could "wedge" the Galaxy 1000 between the trunk floor and the OnStar unit/wiring very solidly. I placed a peice of adhesive on the top/bottom of the Galaxy1000 where it would contact the trunk floor and OnStar unit. After 1 week, I last night checked on the unit. Still solidly in place. No rattles or otherwise were heard at all during normal operation so I am happy with this solution. Others may choose use the mounting tabs formed into body of the Galaxy 1000 case (3) or otherwise.

SETUP :

This was an absolute breeze and the Galaxy comes with excellent included instructions as well as being available to print from their website.. Hold down the OnStar key for 5-10 second to put unit into paring mode. Go into your cell phone and find the unit labeled "ARGUS GALAXY" and connect. Password is "1234". Done and Done.

OPERATION :

I am an IT consultant/technician and am in/out of my car all day. Galaxy 1000 powers up/connects when I start the car, turns off/disconnects when i shut off the car. Have had ZERO issues this week and I talk a good 500 mins or so in the car on average per week. I had a Motorola T305 ( VERY nice external solution) and find that the Galaxy outperforms it in all aspects. I REALLY enjoy how it lowers the music volume when a call comes in (sometimes I crank out my Alice in Chains a bit loud ) and turns off the music when a call is accepted. Had to do this manually with my Motorola external unit. Same goes for turning the Motorola unit on/off when I got in/out of the car. Alot of times I stay within range of the bluetooth and when I would pick up a call onsite, it would transfer to my phone and I'd have to change over before talking to the client. PITA at times. The integrated OnStar microphone seems to be excellent. My car has a Corsa exhaust and not one person has complained or mentioned any increase/decrease from my previous setup. Most people say I sound better when comparing it to my Motorola unit.

At this time, I have not a solitary negative thing to say about the Galaxy 1000. I wish it was cheaper (isn't that true of every modification) but for me, it's was 249.00 WELL SPENT. Would not hesitate to buy it again. I will be ordering another unit for my wife's Tahoe.

See less See more
#141 ·
Hey everyone,

I am new to the cadillac family and I just picked up a 06 CTS. I was very surprised when i found out there was no bluetooth device installed. After reading this thread I am still contemplating going with the galaxy100 because of the price. It seems like a really expensive replacement at $249 + s&h. Now i say replacement because it will be replacing the onstar which i am not thrilled because i still would want that option available to me if i decide to subscribe. I am also looking to upgrade my head unit from stock to a touch screen, with bluetooth which costs less than this device. It just seems to me that the cons outweigh the pros. Now i could see myself paying 250 for a product that doesn't remove the onstar. now my question is (and this might sell me on it) does the button that is located on my steering wheel (used for onstar) work with this device?

#142 ·
If you want to keep onstar, you can do the parrot kit like I did:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...mk6100-install-bluetooth-handsfree-music.html

It's a little bit cheaper, you don't have to unplug onstar, but it's ALOT more work to install. Not difficult, just time consuming. But, you can stream music to it, and if you get the MK9100, it has direct plug in for an ipod. I mounted the wireless button panel on my steering wheel, and it worked well.

#144 ·
You can pair more than one phone. They can't both connect at the same time, though.

I'll use this opportunity to post that after some time, I'm not overly impressed with the sound quality of this device. Everyone I talk to says I am hard to hear, quality is poor. Phone is an LG Optimus V, though it was the same with an older flip phone. I can hear others fairly well, or at least no complaints about it.

I used the G1000 in my wife's Aurora initially, and she was always pretty hard to understand. She got sick of it (though she also found the mirror buttons hard to remember), which is why I have it.

I have a friend with the CoStar on his '07 Corvette through a Blackberry Storm, and he sounds pretty clear when I talk to him.

#146 ·
exactly. some kits are better at echo and noise cancellation than others. I think it's a balance between how much background noise is acceptable, and how much voice quality you are willing to give up. I have talked to people in cars where there is lots of background noise, and others where it is relatively quiet. It isn't really any easier to understand the person with the quieter setup, because there seems, to me anyway, to be voice distortion. and some of it gets completely dropped (as in short periods of dead silence)

#147 ·
2things to try, first raise the volume on your phone while it is connected. This will increase the microphone gain. The second thing is to update your phones firmware. These 2 things should do the trick. Feel free to call me at 781-523-1900 tomorrow if you would like. I will be traveling but will return your call as soon as I can if I miss you.

Fred

#152 ·
Well that was easy. I have both my phone and my wife's phone paired up. We have swapped back and forth with one of us in the car and the other in the house. We have played with making and taking calls. I've adjusted the volume as suggested and all is good. So far both of us are very happy with this product.

Tim

#153 ·
Quick question...does this unit support on screen called ID dipslay to the NAV? Even if it was just the phone number, that would be great. Still weighing my options on doing this, or getting the OnStar upgraded and turned on.

#155 ·
Just installed my Galaxy 1000 a few weeks ago in my '07 V. IT'S GREAT! Perfect. Exactly as advertised. Could not have been easier, works flawlessly. It's like it came that way factory. I'm so happy I've been able to get this feature - thought I was out of luck knowing that bluetooth didn't come factory until '08.

#156 ·
Is there any way to play sounds from the phone through the speaker? I would like to have my police scanner app on my iphone come through the car speakers so I can actually hear it while I'm driving. I know it plays the ringtone though the speakers when the phone rings but what would need to be done to get sounds from an application to come through?

#160 ·
I ordered the Galaxy1000 bluetooth solution and installed it this past Friday. Installation was a breeze. This product replaces a similar, integrated solution that I had in my vehicle. The other solution worked just fine until I started upgrading my phone. After that, pairing was hit or miss and when it did pair, it wouldn't stay connected. Since I couldn't use it any longer, I was back to my cheap, portable BlueAnt S4. It worked but I wanted another integrated solution that worked WITH the car. So I started reading this thread and visited the Galaxy1000 website. After that, I placed a call to Fred and ordered it. Got my device less than 24 hours later and installed it a few minutes after that. My new HTC Thunderbolt, which did not work with my first integrated solution, works perfectly with the Galaxy1000. It pairs instantly when I power up the car and stays connected until I turn it off. I wish I hadn't waited so long to make the swap. Thanks Fred! :thumbsup:

#162 ·
I'd wondered about that, but I think our mic is on the bottom of the rearview mirror and smaller. I think this is the downside of the G1000, I've stopped using mine in favor of a little headset unit. The voice quality is pretty atrocious for the person on the other end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.