Cadillac Owners Forum banner
32K views 170 replies 47 participants last post by  LadySara 
#1 ·
JimmyH suggested I post my review of the Galaxy1000 in a seperate thread for better exposure.

http://www.galaxy1000.com

I FINALLY was able to get time to get the Galaxy1000 installed last weekend and have used it all week and can give a good report/review of it's function and operation.

INSTALL :

Install was VERY easy. The OnStar module is located on the passenger side of the trunk. To access you just need to remove 6 screw down fasteners that hold down the trim peice that is on the rear most part of the trunk and side trunk liner. After that, you can pull away the trunk line on the passenger to access the OnStar module and wiring. To install the Galaxy 1000, you unplug the only two connectors that go into the OnStar unit ( both are white AND are different shaped/keyed so NO WAY to get them confused/connected wrong) and plug them into the Galaxy1000 unit.

Mounting the unit is going to be an owner by owner decision. For me, I found that I could "wedge" the Galaxy 1000 between the trunk floor and the OnStar unit/wiring very solidly. I placed a peice of adhesive on the top/bottom of the Galaxy1000 where it would contact the trunk floor and OnStar unit. After 1 week, I last night checked on the unit. Still solidly in place. No rattles or otherwise were heard at all during normal operation so I am happy with this solution. Others may choose use the mounting tabs formed into body of the Galaxy 1000 case (3) or otherwise.

SETUP :

This was an absolute breeze and the Galaxy comes with excellent included instructions as well as being available to print from their website.. Hold down the OnStar key for 5-10 second to put unit into paring mode. Go into your cell phone and find the unit labeled "ARGUS GALAXY" and connect. Password is "1234". Done and Done.

OPERATION :

I am an IT consultant/technician and am in/out of my car all day. Galaxy 1000 powers up/connects when I start the car, turns off/disconnects when i shut off the car. Have had ZERO issues this week and I talk a good 500 mins or so in the car on average per week. I had a Motorola T305 ( VERY nice external solution) and find that the Galaxy outperforms it in all aspects. I REALLY enjoy how it lowers the music volume when a call comes in (sometimes I crank out my Alice in Chains a bit loud ) and turns off the music when a call is accepted. Had to do this manually with my Motorola external unit. Same goes for turning the Motorola unit on/off when I got in/out of the car. Alot of times I stay within range of the bluetooth and when I would pick up a call onsite, it would transfer to my phone and I'd have to change over before talking to the client. PITA at times. The integrated OnStar microphone seems to be excellent. My car has a Corsa exhaust and not one person has complained or mentioned any increase/decrease from my previous setup. Most people say I sound better when comparing it to my Motorola unit.

At this time, I have not a solitary negative thing to say about the Galaxy 1000. I wish it was cheaper (isn't that true of every modification) but for me, it's was 249.00 WELL SPENT. Would not hesitate to buy it again. I will be ordering another unit for my wife's Tahoe.

See less See more
#45 ·
Ross,

Thank you so much for your interest. I wish we could sell our units in that range, we would probably be selling 5 times as many. We could lower our price if we wanted to get a volume of product produced in China, we would however be giving up our Made in America that we are very proud of along with quality control. Even with a unit mass produced in another country I do not think we could be anywhere near the price your talking about. I know there has been discussion of a group buy, I am trying to think of a way to be able to do it, if I can, I do want everyone from the Cadillac Forums who has purchased a unit to know that the only fair thing to do is for me to send them a check back for the discount we provide. So do not let the fact that there is no group buy in place stop you, if we do something you will get that price as well.

Thanks for thinking of us,

Fred

#44 ·
i doubt they will do a group buy for that low but.. im in for whatever kinda deal we can get.. hook us up Fred!

#47 ·
JimmyH, I agree 100%.

You should check out the standard CTS thread I posted in. They are calling for a price tag in the $100-$125 range.:cookoo:

All depends on how you use it. For someone like me who uses it 2-4 hours a day, the ROI of $250.00 is EASY.

Great product, AMERICAN MADE, and a excellent company that stands behind it. More than enough for me to be a happy customer. :)

#57 ·
Fred immediately answered several questions I had and I ordered my unit on Sunday. He immediately responded to my order by email and I saw that a shipping label had been made up the same day. The unit shipped first thing on Monday and I got it at noon on Wednesday.

It really does take almost no time to install. In fact, I put several strips of velcro on my unit before putting it in the car, but it wasn't necessary (the unit wedges under the Onstar unit without velcro). Total plug and play and worked perfectly.

The best customer service I've ever seen, the easiest install I've ever had on a mod, and a product that works exactly as advertised. A total WIN/WIN situation when you order this from Fred. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks, Fred.

Mike

P.S. Ross: Hopefully she'll read this and you can tell her you know me.

#60 ·
Count me as another happy customer of the Galaxy 1000. No, it does NOT play songs through bluetooth, but I have a feeling it's "doable", albeit with a completely different module. This unit is seriously incredibly easy to "install", and even easier to use. You don't really have to do anything once it's installed and paired with your phone. I have the Motorola Droid, and each time I start my car, it's automatically paired and I can take calls, with clear reception and voice quality, even if I keep my phone in my pocket.
Now, if someone comes up with an equally easy to use and install product that ALSO will allow playing songs from our memory card via bluetooth, in stereo, I WILL buy another one. That's the "holy grail" of these units, to me. Great job on the Galaxy 1000 and I'm really happy with it.

#62 ·
even if they software upgraded the module to allow audio streaming, I doubt it would sound very good. The amplifier in the CTS changes audio equalization (it seems so to me anyway) when onstar mode is active. Probably optimized for voice quality. Music would probably sound pretty flat.

#65 ·
Hi, I ran into the same problem ordering. Fred's IT guy is updating the ordering tool and I guess it has a couple of bugs. When I inquired about the order via e-mail, Fred called me right back. I paid via PayPal Thursday and received it today (Saturday). Very quick turn around and great customer service.

#67 ·
I just wanted to touch base and thank all of you that did get the broken link on my page for emailing me. It appears there was a piece of code out of place. We are in the middle of changing the order basket so that our customers from Canada may order online. Right now they will get an error message and will need to email me for a PayPal link.

Thank you all for your business, we appreciate it!!!

Order today at www.galaxy1000.com

Fred

#69 ·
GREAT NEWS

For all of you that have purchased the Galaxy 1000, you know that there is an extra spot for a small plug on the unit itself. This plug is for people that would like switched power for an accessory. We will have these harnesses available for purchase by the end of next week. Cost has not been finalized but should be under $25.00.

I'll post more details as I have them,

Fred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.