Cadillac Owners Forum banner
32K views 170 replies 47 participants last post by  LadySara 
#1 ·
JimmyH suggested I post my review of the Galaxy1000 in a seperate thread for better exposure.

http://www.galaxy1000.com

I FINALLY was able to get time to get the Galaxy1000 installed last weekend and have used it all week and can give a good report/review of it's function and operation.

INSTALL :

Install was VERY easy. The OnStar module is located on the passenger side of the trunk. To access you just need to remove 6 screw down fasteners that hold down the trim peice that is on the rear most part of the trunk and side trunk liner. After that, you can pull away the trunk line on the passenger to access the OnStar module and wiring. To install the Galaxy 1000, you unplug the only two connectors that go into the OnStar unit ( both are white AND are different shaped/keyed so NO WAY to get them confused/connected wrong) and plug them into the Galaxy1000 unit.

Mounting the unit is going to be an owner by owner decision. For me, I found that I could "wedge" the Galaxy 1000 between the trunk floor and the OnStar unit/wiring very solidly. I placed a peice of adhesive on the top/bottom of the Galaxy1000 where it would contact the trunk floor and OnStar unit. After 1 week, I last night checked on the unit. Still solidly in place. No rattles or otherwise were heard at all during normal operation so I am happy with this solution. Others may choose use the mounting tabs formed into body of the Galaxy 1000 case (3) or otherwise.

SETUP :

This was an absolute breeze and the Galaxy comes with excellent included instructions as well as being available to print from their website.. Hold down the OnStar key for 5-10 second to put unit into paring mode. Go into your cell phone and find the unit labeled "ARGUS GALAXY" and connect. Password is "1234". Done and Done.

OPERATION :

I am an IT consultant/technician and am in/out of my car all day. Galaxy 1000 powers up/connects when I start the car, turns off/disconnects when i shut off the car. Have had ZERO issues this week and I talk a good 500 mins or so in the car on average per week. I had a Motorola T305 ( VERY nice external solution) and find that the Galaxy outperforms it in all aspects. I REALLY enjoy how it lowers the music volume when a call comes in (sometimes I crank out my Alice in Chains a bit loud ) and turns off the music when a call is accepted. Had to do this manually with my Motorola external unit. Same goes for turning the Motorola unit on/off when I got in/out of the car. Alot of times I stay within range of the bluetooth and when I would pick up a call onsite, it would transfer to my phone and I'd have to change over before talking to the client. PITA at times. The integrated OnStar microphone seems to be excellent. My car has a Corsa exhaust and not one person has complained or mentioned any increase/decrease from my previous setup. Most people say I sound better when comparing it to my Motorola unit.

At this time, I have not a solitary negative thing to say about the Galaxy 1000. I wish it was cheaper (isn't that true of every modification) but for me, it's was 249.00 WELL SPENT. Would not hesitate to buy it again. I will be ordering another unit for my wife's Tahoe.

See less See more
#6 ·
Wow. This sounds pretty cool. Good idea using the OnStar stuff.

#9 ·
What would I have to do have the Galaxy work in my car?
INSTALL :

Install was VERY easy. The OnStar module is located on the passenger side of the trunk. To access you just need to remove 6 screw down fasteners that hold down the trim peice that is on the rear most part of the trunk and side trunk liner. After that, you can pull away the trunk line on the passenger to access the OnStar module and wiring. To install the Galaxy 1000, you unplug the only two connectors that go into the OnStar unit ( both are white AND are different shaped/keyed so NO WAY to get them confused/connected wrong) and plug them into the Galaxy1000 unit.

Mounting the unit is going to be an owner by owner decision. For me, I found that I could "wedge" the Galaxy 1000 between the trunk floor and the OnStar unit/wiring very solidly. I placed a peice of adhesive on the top/bottom of the Galaxy1000 where it would contact the trunk floor and OnStar unit. After 1 week, I last night checked on the unit. Still solidly in place. No rattles or otherwise were heard at all during normal operation so I am happy with this solution. Others may choose use the mounting tabs formed into body of the Galaxy 1000 case (3) or otherwise.
Again, great writeup Saleen :thumbsup:

#14 ·
Man, my mod list is going to be long.

#23 ·
So the Galaxy does NOT have the same problem that the bluestar has? The problem being that the bluestar sometimes has problem establishing connections with the head unit.

The galaxy picks up immediatly, and does not pre-emptivly drop the call?

#29 ·
Would you mind testing something for me? With the radio on but the volume turned all the way down, does it still work?

I haven't used the radio in my car for like 3 years, but I always leave the system on since I like having the nav screen on so I just turn the volume all the way down. Wondering if the Galaxy1000 would still work or would I have to turn the volume back up.

Thanks

#30 ·
For current users, does the call transfer when you get in/out of the car. For example if you are on the phone walking out of the office and get into your car, does the call transfer over to the galaxy in the car?

That might depend on the phone's ability also, but just wondering. My friend has a srt8 that does that and that is super sexual.

#32 · (Edited)
The Galaxy1000 is capable of this, BUT this is more of a function set of the phone. I have a Motorola DROID and can either :

1. Press the bluetooth button on the phone face to switch the call over
2. Let the bluetooth go out of range and it switches over automatically.

And if we're posting Cobra pics..... :)

#33 ·
/\ now that KennyB blower is super sexual :drool:

#36 ·
Saleen09 that is SICK!

#37 ·
Appreciate the kind words from y'all. Last 12 months was rocky to say the least but she's come together nicely....."couple more things" and I'll be "done". HAHA!

I've gotten some flack on wanting to keep my CTSV "stock-ish". People just don't know I've been through Mod Hell SEVERAL times and ain't going there with the daily driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.