Bluetooth Solution - Galaxy1000 Review - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Bluetooth Solution - Galaxy1000 Review in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I read through the original OnStar/Bluetooth product thread (I forget the name of the product), then I read through ...
    kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Re: Bluetooth Solution - Galaxy1000 Review

So I read through the original OnStar/Bluetooth product thread (I forget the name of the product), then I read through this thread. Even though I thought I saw somewhere that they are the same product, it seems no one has any complaints about the Galaxy 1000, yet the other product would misbehave for some people. What's the story here?

galaxy1000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS V6 Lux

Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    So I read through the original OnStar/Bluetooth product thread (I forget the name of the product), then I read through this thread. Even though I thought I saw somewhere that they are the same product, it seems no one has any complaints about the Galaxy 1000, yet the other product would misbehave for some people. What's the story here?
    I can only speak for myself. Customer Service is the most important thing to me, I sell a quality product, am available to answer your questions by phone, and truly believe in what I am doing.

I do appreciate all the kind words and follow up calls. From the gentleman who's father is involved with the Gulf oil situation (thanks again for the stories) to the NFL quarterback's uncle that recently purchased one for himself and said his nephew would be ordering this week, I have enjoyed myself greatly. This has become a passion not just a business.

Rest assured, the product works as it is supposed to! It truly is the Onstar Bluetooth solution!

Now, if we can just get the next generation out of testing for the newer models.........

Fred

http://www.galaxy1000.com

Since I now have a CTS-V, I ordered one of these. I'll update when I get it and install it.

I received it and installed it. Very easy installation. I used adhesive velcro strips to affix it to the body of the car above the OnStar unit.

The voice quality is good and I drove at about 40mph with the front windows down and my wife could hear me. I'll play more with it as I go, but I'm already impressed.

There are basically two things I don't like:

1. I don't like the long press to switch the call to the Galaxy 1000, upon entering the car mid-call. A short press would make more sense, at least to me. This, however, I can probably adapt to.

2. I experimented with exiting the car while in call and the results are not good. What happens is the nav screen stays on for a few seconds and the whole system appears to remain energized. The phone stays in call with the car, with the key out, and the door open and I have to physically walk far enough away for the Bluetooth connection to drop, which is quite far, before the call returns to the handset. I did leave the black plug in the OnStar unit. Should I have removed it?

EDIT: Tried removing the remaining plugs. No difference. I almost suspect the car is keeping OnStar powered and in call for safety. If something happened and someone was connected with OnStar it shouldn't hang up just because they shut the car off and open the door. BUT, I was led to believe that this unit did disconnect itself from the phone when RAP is turned off.

Installation pictures:

edwalton is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Just an update - I have been using mine for about 6 months - no problems. Incoming and outgoing calls work fine. Sound quality is good. I like the automatic shut down of the radio volume and fan motor with calls. All in all a great "mod" for a stock CTS-V.

I received it and installed it. Very easy installation. I used adhesive velcro strips to affix it to the body of the car above the OnStar unit.

The voice quality is good and I drove at about 40mph with the front windows down and my wife could hear me. I'll play more with it as I go, but I'm already impressed.

There are basically two things I don't like:

1. I don't like the long press to switch the call to the Galaxy 1000, upon entering the car mid-call. A short press would make more sense, at least to me. This, however, I can probably adapt to.

2. I experimented with exiting the car while in call and the results are not good. What happens is the nav screen stays on for a few seconds and the whole system appears to remain energized. The phone stays in call with the car, with the key out, and the door open and I have to physically walk far enough away for the Bluetooth connection to drop, which is quite far, before the call returns to the handset. I did leave the black plug in the OnStar unit. Should I have removed it?

EDIT: Tried removing the remaining plugs. No difference. I almost suspect the car is keeping OnStar powered and in call for safety. If something happened and someone was connected with OnStar it shouldn't hang up just because they shut the car off and open the door. BUT, I was led to believe that this unit did disconnect itself from the phone when RAP is turned off.
    1. This does vary by phone model. Some do switch faster than others, some will switch automatically without having to push anything.

2.That is within our programming, while your system is retaining power the Galaxy 1000 stays connected. I have not heard of any issues such as yours, when RAP disconnects the Galaxy should disconnect. I will give you a call and discuss meeting up with you (you happen to live somewhat close to me I believe) and trying a different box.

Fred

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Is there a way to replace the RAP going to the Galaxy with another power source? If so, you could tap into ignition power from the fuse panel under the rear seat, and run that back to the Galaxy. That way when you turn the key off the Galaxy would go off.

Fred,

Thanks for calling me. And yeah we're pretty close. Go figure.

As we discussed, I am going to see what an HTC Evo does with regard to the behavior I mentioned.

Jimmy,

What happens is strange. Basically, if the call is still in session when RAP would normally disconnect (key out, door opens), the nav screen stays on for a few seconds and the caller continues to hear me through the OnStar microphone, but since power seems to be killed to the Bose amps/head unit, I can't hear them. The green light on the rear view mirror stays solid indicating that power is still present on the Galaxy, and I have to long press the talk button on the rear view to transfer the call to the phone. After I do that, the light goes out and it appears to lose power. It's as if the car is keeping it powered (only while in call), since Fred said the firmware relies on RAP to just shut the Galaxy down.

So I suggested a couple lines of code to get some sort of signal that the door has opened and RAP wants to shut down, then disconnect the connection to the phone, which would force the phone back to handset mode, solving my problem.

Can somebody with a CTS-V (preferably early 2005 to match mine) and a Galaxy 1000 try exiting the car while in call? Does it immediately transfer back to the handset simply by exiting the car?

I tried an HTC Evo. It did transfer the call to the car when I got in and turned everything on, so that part is my phone. No big deal.

However, it still did the shutdown thing where the nav screen stays on for a few seconds and the Galaxy remains powered despite opening the door and killing RAP. So that is the box, and it's probably all boxes. Firmware update time!

allenjanthony is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V

I am thinking about purchasing a galaxy 1000 for my 04 V. Is there anyone located near the Nashville, TN area that already has one installaed so I can see how this works before I make the final plung?

Thanks,

I tried an HTC Evo. It did transfer the call to the car when I got in and turned everything on, so that part is my phone. No big deal.

However, it still did the shutdown thing where the nav screen stays on for a few seconds and the Galaxy remains powered despite opening the door and killing RAP. So that is the box, and it's probably all boxes. Firmware update time!
    Kevin,

I noticed this morning that my 2009 STS with factory bluetooth does the same thing, after reading your post I went and tried my truck (I swear it disconnected before) and it does exactly what you describe. I sent our engineer an email last night and am waiting to hear back. I'm thinking he may be on vacation because I I never have to wait this long. If you would like give me a call later, if not I will reach out to you as soon as I know more.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Is there a way to replace the RAP going to the Galaxy with another power source? If so, you could tap into ignition power from the fuse panel under the rear seat, and run that back to the Galaxy. That way when you turn the key off the Galaxy would go off.
    The power comes directly from the Onstar harness, we simply unglug Onstar and plug in the Galaxy. I don't think your solution will work. The weird thing is I could swear that the Galaxy used to disconnect when RAP shut off in my 2003 Chevy Avalanche, I just tested it and it didn't.

As a side note, I just purchased a 2009 STS that happened to have factory bluetooth and noticed this morning that it stays connected after RAP shuts off as well.

I wonder how long it will stay connected after RAP shuts down. Think it will survive the 10 minute timer? Only one way to find out...

This is interesting behavior and particularly interesting that an STS with integrated BT does it.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

kev, I would try borrowing someone else's phone, pair it to you car and try it. I have had different phones behave differently with my parrot kits.

as for the differences people experience with this unit; there are different firmware versions in the onstar units, and probably different firmware versions in the databus that it communicates with. So it is not surprising that people are experiencing different phenomena with these units.

I wonder how long it will stay connected after RAP shuts down. Think it will survive the 10 minute timer? Only one way to find out...

This is interesting behavior and particularly interesting that an STS with integrated BT does it.
    The answer is 5 minutes for my Avalanche with the Galaxy 1000, I gave up after 7 minutes with my STS and the factory bluetooth.

I did have a thought or two as to why perhaps I have not heard of this issue before; 1) On my Android, Blackberry, and other phones you can easily switch between bluetooth and handset calls. 2) There was a software/firmware update I was not aware of.

Either way Kevin, please give me a call when you can to discuss. I want to do anything I can to make sure you are completely satisfied.

Fred

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.