Got nailed by my trunk lid for the last time(s) - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Got nailed by my trunk lid for the last time(s) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Aurora40 should the trunk raise up when popped if the struts are working properly? Mine barely pops, ...
    heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: Got nailed by my trunk lid for the last time(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    should the trunk raise up when popped if the struts are working properly? Mine barely pops, it's hard to tell it is open vs still closed.
    It shouldn't fall on your head or back when it is open and you reach in.

That is the sign of strut failure.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

my dealer denied the ole trunk strut claim under factory warranty more than once, stating it was perfectly normal for them not to hold up the lid. I believe their words were "they all fall down like that"....pretty lame to lie about a $20 part, but I didnt press the issue.

I made it 2.5 years without incident, then one afternoon I had parked in a different area of the lot at work... when I left I threw the cpu in the trunk and on the way up, I caught the latch right in the sweet spot of my head as it was heading down. I thought I was being pistol whipped (in my hoodrat city this is always a possibility), but it was that damn trunk lid. I saw stars for a couple of minutes!

OT (sort of).

That is why people used to ask me about that broomstick I used to carry in my Mercedes 300td.

Those struts ain't cheap and they were a bitch to replace.

JCaddyV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black 2005 CTS-V

Just installed mine from autozone very easy to install and my trunk finally goes up by its self now. Thanks

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
    should the trunk raise up when popped if the struts are working properly? Mine barely pops, it's hard to tell it is open vs still closed.
    Mine does that. I think it's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by kevm14 View Post
    Mine does that. I think it's normal.
    not normal.

see post #42

When I pop mine, it doesn't move. However, it stays open and I haven't had it slam shut. Mine might not be as strong as stock but they're not dead.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

When I pop mine, it doesn't move. However, it stays open and I haven't had it slam shut. Mine might not be as strong as stock but they're not dead.
    That's how mine are. If you lift it mostly up, it will raise itself a little more. But I'd prefer it to pop up when the trunk is popped. Makes putting things in it a lot easier. There's no AutoZone around here, but I'll see if I can find that part elsewhere, if it raises the trunk.

I'm not convinced that it will. The way the geometry works, the strut actually helps hold the trunk closed. As you open it, it reaches its most compressed state, then helps push the trunk up and hold it up. So I don't see why new struts would pop it open better.

I'm not convinced that it will. The way the geometry works, the strut actually helps hold the trunk closed. As you open it, it reaches its most compressed state, then helps push the trunk up and hold it up. So I don't see why new struts would pop it open better.

You have it backwards.

When closed, the strut is compressed.

Also, temperature effects these "air springs".

eh, I think you are right about it pushing up only when open a certain amount.. I was hedging with my post hoping the autozones were perhaps beefier than stock. Maybe Jcaddy can confirm for us.. I've never really understood what is correct in this case but maybe my dealer was right and they should only "hold the trunk in the up position", not open the trunk completely on their own..of course, they test it on the level showroom so unless you "shove it" hard, it won't fall even if the shocks are no good.

I do remember my trunk audibly "popping" open when the shocks were good, albeit just enough for me to get my hand in there, but now it's a mere click and I have to dig the lid off the bumper..

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    You have it backwards.

When closed, the strut is compressed.

Also, temperature effects these "air springs".
    I just looked. It looks like the geometry is such that the strut reaches its most compressed state just before the trunk closes. I suspect when the trunk fully closes, the strut stays compressed, rather than uncompressing a little. If you look at a glass hatch of a pickup cap or similar, you'll see the geometry I was describing. The strut reaches its most compressed state well before the glass is closed. Like a connecting rod and piston, the linkage goes back the other way and the force of the strut actually helps close the glass, as it extends again.

Also when I tested mine just now, it doesn't have the ability to lift itself up at any point in the travel though it seems fairly secure staying open. But on a slope with a gust of wind, I might well become a statistic.

Park on a hill (going up) and pop the trunk lid fully open and see if it stays in position.

If it doesn't, the struts are funky.

That is the "worst case" scenario.

You know they are shot when they won't hold the lid open on level ground.

As the struts get older, the temperature will affect the operation also.

Ak Jim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I took the family out to dinner a couple of months ago. The restaurant was a little cool inside so I went out to the V to get a jacket. I opened the trunk and reached in to grab my jacket when the trunk wacked me in the back. I jumped back out of suprise and the keys fell out of my hand as the trunk completely closed. So there we were about 30 miles from home with the keys locked in the trunk. Luckily a good friend of mine had one of our garage remotes so he drove to my house and got the second set of keys and drove to the restaurant so we could unlock the car.

Misterdiggity is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

I got nailed in the back on the afternoon that I picked up the car. It's happened another time since then (only had the car for 8 days so far). $46 with shipping from Autozone is cheap insurance. I just placed my order.

I remember ordering a set of these from BMW for my old '92 325i and they charged something like $80/side. I feel like I'm already reaping the benefits of owning a GM vehicle (knocks on wood).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.