HID headlight ballast
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, HID headlight ballast in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I thought my drivers side low beam (HID) bulb went out. Got a new one only to find the ...
    ronr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

HID headlight ballast

So I thought my drivers side low beam (HID) bulb went out. Got a new one only to find the fuse was blown. After much experimentation and many more blown fuses it looks like the ballast on that light is bad. It's very rusty around the gasket so it looks like the gasket didn't seal and the electronics got corroded. Dealer wants ~$300 for a new ballast and says there are none at the warehouse.

Has anyone else had one of these rust? Any alternatives (I'm already checking ebay) for getting a new one?

p.s. I'm gonna hunt down the engineer that designed a front end where you need to remove the entire front fascia just to replace the light bulb

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TroyFleming is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: HID headlight ballast

I have a bunch of extra ones of these from past rebuilds. Let me know if you need one. Also you can change the bulbs without removing the front bumper. On drivers side just the air cleaner needs to be removed. On the passenger side 3 bolts on fuse box and you should be able to squeeze in.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I would think an hid ballast is an hid ballast is an hid ballast. Likely the only difference is the shape, if you are looking for a cheap one.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFleming View Post
    I have a bunch of extra ones of these from past rebuilds. Let me know if you need one. Also you can change the bulbs without removing the front bumper. On drivers side just the air cleaner needs to be removed. On the passenger side 3 bolts on fuse box and you should be able to squeeze in.
    Thanks for the ballast, it's in and all is good. Once again this forum saved me more than the annual supporting membership

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Glad to hear it, Ron!

Yup, this forum is a GREAT place for info and worry every penny of membership times ten.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Matt05V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

^^^^^SHHHH! Dont give them any ideas!

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

"... worry every penny"? I kneed spel chick.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

calidave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I wonder if it's possible to get to the high beams without removing the bumper. Anybody know off hand?

TroyFleming is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by calidave View Post
    I wonder if it's possible to get to the high beams without removing the bumper. Anybody know off hand?
    You should be able to change both bulbs on these cars without removing the bumper. On Drivers side you need to remove the airbox and sometimes the air flap. On passenger side you it is a little more difficult you need to unbolt the fusebox.

calidave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You should be able to change both bulbs on these cars without removing the bumper. On Drivers side you need to remove the airbox and sometimes the air flap. On passenger side you it is a little more difficult you need to unbolt the fusebox.
    I'll have to give that a shot. I pulled the bumper last weekend to change the corners and high beams.. and realized I ordered the wrong lights for the high beams. Wasn't looking forward to pulling the bumper again. Thanks!

I took the bumper off but after looking at it I agree with the above.

Quote Originally Posted by ronr View Post
    Thanks for the ballast, it's in and all is good. Once again this forum saved me more than the annual supporting membership
    another satisfied customer

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    "... worry every penny"? I kneed spel chick.
    another proof-read fail

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

So where's Tony been lately Jimmy? Seems like you are the big dog on the V forum's these days

he's around. we all go through busy spurts, and have less time for the forums. I have my lulls too. I just seem to have a lot of free time on my hands right now, especially at work. Business is always slow this time of year.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.