Anyone Done Computer upgrades?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Anyone Done Computer upgrades? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; In my search for additional h.p. I came across this company(HP Tuners) who sells a software for reprograming our computers. ...
    haveboost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Anyone Done Computer upgrades?

In my search for additional h.p. I came across this company(HP Tuners) who sells a software for reprograming our computers. It's $499 but I wonder if anyone has tried this.

HP Tuners

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Re: Anyone Done Computer upgrades?

My money is going to EFILive. I've been using the scanner for about a year now on my Silverado SS, Camaro Z28, Z71 Avalanche and now CTS-V. Later this year, EFILive is coming out with a new version of the scanner and a top-notch tuning solution. The EFILive customer support is second to none and the software is great. My recommendation is to wait a bit for them to release the new software.

You can download a demo version of the scanner software here (get the 3.9 MB version)

Sometime in the next day or so, I'll log some data on the V and post it here for everyone to play with in the demo version.

P.S. My handle on the forums there is "SinisterSS" - yes it is black and bad.

Once you've installed the demo, right-click and save-as this log I took of the V tonight --> StealthV Log File

Place the file in your C:\Program Files\EFILive\ScanToolV6\Logged data directory.

Start EFILive then select File -> Open -> Logged Data -> StealthV_EFILive_Demo.efi

Once it is loaded, you can use the VCR-like controls at the bottom to go through the data, click on the various tabs such as "Data" and "Dash A" etc.

When I hooked up EFILive tonight, it found 185 channels of data to monitor which are shown in the "OBD II (F7)" -> "PIDs" tab. The gauges with the black face icons are the channels I selected to record.

There is a trade off on the number of channels to record. The lower the number of channels, the more samples EFILive captures every second. If one were to collect all 185 channels, the data points would probably be several seconds apart which may be ok for reading information in a steady-state cruise condition, but not good if you're looking to monitor air:fuel ratio, spark advance, etc.

In sort of spooky timing to my previous posts in this thread this evening, I just received confirmation of becoming a distributor for the EFILive products. Just one of the many items that are being worked in the background and will added to the StealthV Engineering product line in the coming months!

The EFILive scanner and tuner combo will set the standard in the industry and the others will be playing catch up. EFILive Tuner

Stay tuned for more details on the EFILive products.

My goal is to provide those unique things my fellow V owners are looking for at prices you'll love.

Very cool. I'm defenitely interested. I've been taking it easy on the V, but all of my other cars have had their share of serious mods. In the past I've used different piggy back computers to either richen or lean, advance or retard timing. Are the same options available on this computer. I'm thinking I might want to try NOS. I have a wet kit left over from another car I had. I might try it. We'll see what happens.

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

The Software
    The biggest player is LS1Edit. It's been around forever... lots of people using it, lots of tuners using it, pretty stable, great tech support forum. This is a *tuner* only... you will need to get a separate scanner... though they are working on an integrated package.

Here is the "tuning forum" on the Z06 site:
    http://www.z06vette.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

And at LS1tech:
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

HPTuners is relatively the new kid on the block... has a good user interface, supposed to work well... but not *that* many people using it yet... haven't heard the best things about their tech support on the really tough questions.
    This is an integrated tuner and scanner.

EFILive is a scanner only... it's considered the top of the line... the "Cadillac" of scanners Blows away the 'stand-alone" AutoTap and Ease PC scanners.
    As Stealth mentioned, EFILive is working on an integrated tuner and i'm sure it too will be pretty bad A**... considering the work they have done on the scanner. But it will be the newest kid on the block.

About tuning...
    You dont need "add-on" computers... all reprogramming is done directly to the stock computer. (You backup the stock program... and can revert back if you need to - once you switch back to the stock program... the fact that you had a revised program in there is undetectable).

This ECU is insanely complicated (HMO)... there is a lot to learn to figure it out... still gives me a headache keeping everything straight...and I have been playing with this stuff for a while. (always reverse pos and neg LTFT's - and how to correct them!)

I'd suggest finding a good local tuner... getting them to do a basic tune... and then tweaking here and there after that... ideally this means buying whatever Tuning software they have (though I guess you could buy a different package).

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Oh, and FWIW the LS6 responds very well to nitrous... 100hp kit wet or dry works very well... (if the installer/tuner knows what they are doing)
    And you get a bottle holder from the factory! (the spare tire cut-out).

Search the Z06 forums... "WA 2 FST" is a very good reference (though he recently pulled off his nitrous kit and is running an LPE twin turbo setup now).

Dreamin Thanks for the info. Honestly I'm new to American car tuning. I've haven't owned a gm since my Camaro Z28 IROC. So I'm learning about these cars. The japs use alot of piggy backs so that's where my reference came from. I'm going to look up as much info as possible before putting the Nos system. I like Nitrious I've used it on the past and when you do your research, and use it WISELY, it's alot of fun.
    I had a Lexus is300 squeezing 125hp wet. It made 337rwhp and about 360ftlbs of torque. NEVER Broke a thing in the 39 months I owned it.

Now I was reading on ther forums and some people were talking about having Nitrous backfires, using a wet system. That concerns me I never had that problem but was wondering if the design of our intake runners may induce any puddling. Has anyone seen this happen on a ls6? And how much was the shot of N2O if that was the case? Any additional info on computers tuning or nitrous application on the ls6 are greatly appriciated.

THANK YOU everyone!!

Haveboost - for more NOS research, I'd recommend heading over to the Z06 forum at http://www.z06vette.com/forums/index.php There you should be able to find some good information on installing NOS on the LS6. And you'll be able to make way more that 337 RWHP on the V.

Stealth V Thanx, I'm sure I'll be able to do some serious HP on the LS6, there's no comparison. Thanks again for the info. But I'm also considering a supercharger. I'm torn between the fast cheap hp and the constant hp. I know there's no comparison but I may play a little with NOS while I gather the parts.

DarthVader Guest

That's why you do a NOS + Radix.

L.A.P.D. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V, 2007 Escalade

haveboost,

We use LS1 edit on the CTS-Vs we dyno tune in house and so far, great results even on bone stock cars.

Shawn

L.A.P.D. well I'm open for suggestions. Where can I find info as far as price, availability and ease of use. Also being that you've tuned this car already I'm sure you have some baseline programs which you can include? Meanwhile I'll do some reasearch on ls1edit.

pinnacle71 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

Question Re: Anyone Done Computer upgrades?

I've never reprogrammed an ECU and don't know anything about doing so.

Will EFILive or a similar product allow us to share setups?

For example, if I find someone else who has the same mods I do, can the two of us swap the tuning maps back and forth while we tweak? What's to stop someone from getting a professional tune and sharing it with everyone else?

thanks,
    -Greg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.