DIY Steering Wheel Position Sensor install *pics*
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, DIY Steering Wheel Position Sensor install *pics* in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I decided to do this write up after finding little help from the intrawebs on exactly how to replace your ...
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

DIY Steering Wheel Position Sensor install *pics*

I decided to do this write up after finding little help from the intrawebs on exactly how to replace your SWPS on your CTS-V. The symptoms for this sensor going bad on the V are this: The DIC will suddenly and seemingly unexpectedly flash "Stability Control Engaged", this message will go off in a few seconds. In addition you may experience the ABS kicking in with the warning as well. Also after a few instances of the "Stability Control Engaged" warning, the solid "Service Stability System" light will come on and only go off after you press "OK". It should be noted this is what my car was doing and others have experienced different degrees of these warnings. (Mine was severe, coming on quite often).

Another note is that other members have reported these same symptoms as being the YAW sensor which is located under the console. This seemed to be the rarity rather than the norm (SWPS). And it turned out mine was the SWPS so without further explanation of the symptoms here is the fix!

When you decide to undertake this project get the sensor (mine was $88 from the local caddy dealer) and plan to work on the car the following day.

Remove the (-) terminal from the battery the night prior. This will ensure the following morning no juice is left in the system to mess with the air bags I also pulled the air bag fuse from under the rear seat to be extra sure!

Remove the engine cover (it just snaps on) and the strut bar (4 18mm bolts)

Then locate the steering shaft and rotate the steering wheel so that the bolt holding the lower portion from the upper portion is on top, remove the bolt then straighten out the wheel again. (1/2" bolt)

From here go inside the car and remove the knee bolster and lower plastic piece that holds the vanity light. (4 Phillips screws and clips on the knee bolster).

Remove the metal shield that is now exposed. (2 10mm bolts accessed through the holes cut in the metal shield).

Unplug the giant harness connector.

Don't worry about this black wire it will have enough slack to work with.

Remove the four bolts that hold the steering column in place. (all 1/2") The pics are kinds tough to see on the top ones but it will be painfully obvious once you get in there!

Bottom bolts.

Top Bolts.

WARNING! Before you proceed ensure the steering wheel does not rotate when pulled out until you get it re-attached to the lower portion in the engine bay. Failure to do so may cause damage to your airbag coil! (Don't worry it will move a bit just don't get complacent and not realize it has turned a bunch on you)!

At this point the column should be hanging loose.

You should be able to pull it out through the firewall, do so and rest the column as pictured. (You may want to rest it on a rag here as I scratched my plastic up a bit).

Remove the little plastic clipped pictured and slide the old position sensor forward.

You will have to remove this bolt to fully slide off the old SWPS.

Then slide on your new sensor and put everything back together. Be sure NOT to pull the pin out of the new sensor until the column is back in so that the internals of the sensor don't rotate on you. (I found you have to pull the pin before pushing the column back through the firewall fully or the black dust boot will block you from doing so after).

Also before you start to try and get the column to line up with the piece in the engine bay pull out on the very bottom HARD with a set of plyers so that when you are pushing the column back into the lower piece in the bay it does not just slide at the fitting. (it will make sense when you try it once and it just collapses on you)! haha

This whole process took me just 3 hours and that was with my S.O. helping out. I'm sure a mechanically inclined friend could bump off at least half an hour with a 6 pack provided of course!
    G/L and if anyone has any questions just PM me....oh wait I have not been deemed worthy by the mod gods yet! I can haz PM feature for DIY? For now my email addy is sutter_jonathan@colstate.edu G/L guys!
    DrSpeed, DrSpeed, mjcaddy and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Re: DIY Steering Wheel Position Sensor install *pics*

I'm sure a few people would be interested in this. Deff worth saving.
    Good work.

Tony
    '05 Platinum l LPE CAI l Magnaflow l V1 (hardwired), w/ custom mount l UUC shifter l UUC Alcantara shift knob l K9 GEAR rear seat cover lHID fogs lHotchkis sways lCG-Lock l Specter Bushings l FG2s l Ground control 550/600 l MAGGIE 439RWHP/414RWTQ (Dynojet) l Heavys fire extinguisher bracket l Interceptor scan-gauge l Billet pedals l Meth l NO HEADERS l Original diff l 90mm upgrade l 2.6" drive pulley l LS7 clutch w/16lb. FW l Alcantara

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    I'm sure a few people would be interested in this. Deff worth saving.
    Good work.

Tony
    Thank you.

rjoffe is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Excellent post, thanks!

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

nice writeup, thanks. We'll probably save a few bucks on this one!

I am got my first sse warning while driving straight ahead yesterday. this may come in handy down the road...of course gmpp might cover it, but I dont feel like leaving it for a week long joyride so they can "duplicate" the issue.

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

Straight to the FAQ!!

Jcc, are these symptoms as well.. TC randomly engaging followed by complete TC/Stability failure. followed by "service stability system soon". TC light and ABS idiot lights ON and don't turn off until restart...

anyone ever here of failures like this?? any ideas

your maker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

second the FAQ add on

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

As for your symptoms I have never had the TC or ABS LIGHTS come on. The ABS would grab a wheel every now and again and scare the living crap out of me! But no lights, the warning however is exactly on par with the SWPS issue, I would look further into it though before saying SWPS for sure.

Another note to add is that I noticed when I was starting a gentle right curve on the road it would most frequently kick on. This is not always the case though as others report that it happens when going straight (CadzillaTN for one). This is what led me to believe it was the steering sensor for sure though rather than any thought about the YAW sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by shadybx7 View Post
    Straight to the FAQ!!

JCC, are these symptoms as well.. TC randomly engaging followed by complete TC/Stability failure. followed by "service stability system soon". TC light and ABS idiot lights ON and don't turn off until restart...

anyone ever here of failures like this?? any ideas
    Any other information about your issue? Does the ABS grab a wheel sometimes? (Brake for a milisecond then release)

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Excellent writeup!!

Mine is doing this same thing (stabiltrak engaged -or whatever) and it feels like the brakes are applied but not violently, and it drives me insane. Are there certain codes that will pop up to tell which sensor (either steering column or YAW) it would be? Or does the message have to be on the DIC at that particular time?

I tried banging on my steering wheel and 99% it won't go off. But it mostly goes off on long distances (straight lines).

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Excellent writeup!!

Mine is doing this same thing, and it drives me insane. Are there certain codes that will pop up to tell which sensor it would be? Or does the message have to be on the DIC at that particular time?

I tried banging on my steering wheel and 99% it won't go off. But it mostly goes off on long distances (straight lines).
    From what I have READ the banging on the steering wheel is only when the dealer has the Tech II hooked up to it to see if they are getting funny readings. I did not have mine checked out by the dealer so as for codes I have no clue. I can tell you that (from reading also) that the "codes" can only be read if the "Service Stability System" message pops up and you do NOT hit "Ok". No codes will be stored on the "Stability System Engaged" or whatever it says that just goes off in a few seconds regardless of you pressing "Ok" or not.

For the $90 dollars I took the chance and got lucky I would say yours is probably the same as mine but its a slight gamble. (I was pretty comfortable calling it the SWPS failure because of it coming on when turning right). Yours being in a straight line though is less conclusive IMHO. G/L if your ABS is grabbing then you know it is annoying and scary as heck!

edit/ You edited before I could post so some of my info may seem stupid.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Thanks for the excellent writeup!

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    From what I have READ the banging on the steering wheel is only when the dealer has the Tech II hooked up to it to see if they are getting funny readings. I did not have mine checked out by the dealer so as for codes I have no clue. I can tell you that (from reading also) that the "codes" can only be read if the "Service Stability System" message pops up and you do NOT hit "Ok". No codes will be stored on the "Stability System Engaged" or whatever it says that just goes off in a few seconds regardless of you pressing "Ok" or not.

For the $90 dollars I took the chance and got lucky I would say yours is probably the same as mine but its a slight gamble. (I was pretty comfortable calling it the SWPS failure because of it coming on when turning right). Yours being in a straight line though is less conclusive IMHO. G/L if your ABS is grabbing then you know it is annoying and scary as heck!

edit/ You edited before I could post so some of my info may seem stupid.
    lol, my bad....I have a bad habit of posting stuff then going back and trying to explain it better.

I thought those sensors were alot more than that? Like $300?? Maybe I'm thinking of a different sensor under the steering wheel? F'n sensors

lol, my bad....I have a bad habit of posting stuff then going back and trying to explain it better.

I thought those sensors were alot more than that? Like $300?? Maybe I'm thinking of a different sensor under the steering wheel? F'n sensors
    Haha ya technology in cars is great...when its working! The YAW sensor is like $200 according to someone around here who posted that, maybe that is what you are thinking of?

I'm going to try this....thanks for the excellent writeup! Pics rule

I'm going to try this....thanks for the excellent writeup! Pics rule
    G/L! Hit me up if you get snagged up at the email above, I should respond within the hour.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.