How to Instructions - Differential Lube Change - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, How to Instructions - Differential Lube Change in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Thanks!!...
    rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: How to Instructions - Differential Lube Change

Thanks!!

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by tzoid
    real, big time racers will tell you, quite loudly(!) to NEVER pre fill an engine oil filter before installing. You will then be pumping unfiltered oil (even tho it's new, it very likely could have contaminants in it) thru your engine. Most of them have a kill switch on the fuel system or the ignition system to allow for turning over the engine without firing to build up oil pressure...unless your running a very special, highly modified engine, I wouldn't worry about the low oil pressure when you change oil and first start up. Fact is, you really don't need anything more than the stock oil filter...most users change the oil and filter WAY before they need too. We're all fanatics with the baby!
    I use a replacable cartridge type oil filter that filters at about 8 microns. To this I have installed a bleadoff line to a 2 micron filter (which is too restrictive for maintaining normal oil flow and pressure). Amsoil has such as set-up available, also. This is ten times finer filtration that any "standard" filter. I prefill the canister to ensure that pressurized oil reaches the oil gallies and bearings as quickly as possible. 90% of engine wear is suffered during initial engine startup because the bearings are dry until oil flow at pressure refills the oil passages.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Stephen, are you using the Amsoil cartridge filter? If so, I've looked at that one in the catalog and have a little curiousity in trying one out. Which model number is for the V?

TheTwins is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Good info, nice job w/the write-up. Q - just curious why is the stock exhaust back on your car?

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TheTwins
    Good info, nice job w/the write-up. Q - just curious why is the stock exhaust back on your car?
    I *think* (and I know I'm assuming and posting for Stealth - I know he can post for himself) if you look at the date of the original post, no aftermarket exhausts were released at that time. Therefore not back on, but not yet off.

TheTwins is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My bad, you're right. Thought those bending / holding marks on the exhaust pipes looked a little suspicious that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV
    Stephen, are you using the Amsoil cartridge filter? If so, I've looked at that one in the catalog and have a little curiousity in trying one out. Which model number is for the V?
    The filter I use is a Nascar racing design. I will get the info tomorrow.

Engine Oil Filters. I have used Canton/Mecca Oil Filters for many years. They are very expensive for the initial set-up. One must buy a filter housing first; either spin-on or remote installation. From then on, just buy the their universal 8 micron filter media for about $13.50 each. Bulk purchases are a little less but quite an outlay when buying 24 at a time. The approximately standard 4-1/4" replacement housing is $95.00 which gets you a machined aluminum unit. A remote filter housing is $102.50 to which you must add the engine block adapter plus hoses, etc. The CM Site provides vehicle specific application information; or, if no auto/engine specific applications, there is a cross-reference to major a manufacturer index such as FRAM. They provide the thread type and O-Ring size information for any car to verify the correct application. Cadillac CTS V LS6 CM Housing = 25-232
    Note that the housing length is added to by the bottom plate and attachment set screws. I had a 6-1/4" on a Pontiac Trans-Am and managed to scrap it off in a rough poorly maintained parking lot. The aluminum failed the scrape test and did not affect the engine block. I like the larger unit for the much increased filter volume. High flow with no pressure drop.
    www.cmfilters.com/

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

I have used Canton oil filters and their oil temp thermostat's on previous cars... *extremely* high quality product.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.