Power Steering Cooler
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Power Steering Cooler in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I finally got around to upgrading the power steering cooler. I followed the instructions in the FAQs except I wanted ...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Power Steering Cooler

I finally got around to upgrading the power steering cooler. I followed the instructions in the FAQs except I wanted a cooler that was little more "industrial strength." I went with a Fluidyne DB 30216. I took some pictures too.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

Re: Power Steering Cooler

the comparison pic of the stock unit and the new Fluidyne cooler is great..

the install looks great, very clean, the Fluidyne DB 30216 looks like something Naf would install. fuggin huge ! and pricey too

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

All that extra room in there makes me wanna try a 2nd heat exchanger for my intercooler.

But, of course, I am too lazy.

Nice work though, that looks like some quality equipment.

bdawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac CTSV

Nice work!I also did the ps upgrade but w/ the faq cooler.What a difference no more power steering fluid boiling over.

Quote Originally Posted by bdawg View Post
    Nice work!I also did the ps upgrade but w/ the faq cooler.What a difference no more power steering fluid boiling over.
    It should stop the boil over but I think some of the spillage is caused by insufficient baffling in the power steering reservoir so I am also looking at some aftermarket remote reservoirs.

CadiBlk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Silver '05 V

Nice install. Some beefy welds on that Fluidyne, naf would shave those guys down.

How much fluid were you guys running with the stock cooler? I was checking fluids yesterday (GD instant black clutch fluid) and I pulled the PS lid. Wiped it clean and re-inserted then pulled it again. The car had been sitting for a bath for approx 1 hour and the fluid on the lil tab on the lid was under the Cold marker.

I presume that the markers on that tab are to show when the fluid is hot or cold, but how full is it supposed to be and do I tell?

What fluid you guys using?

Sry for the threadjack.

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CadiBlk View Post
    Nice install. Some beefy welds on that Fluidyne, naf would shave those guys down.

How much fluid were you guys running with the stock cooler? I was checking fluids yesterday (GD instant black clutch fluid) and I pulled the PS lid. Wiped it clean and re-inserted then pulled it again. The car had been sitting for a bath for approx 1 hour and the fluid on the lil tab on the lid was under the Cold marker.

I presume that the markers on that tab are to show when the fluid is hot or cold, but how full is it supposed to be and do I tell?

What fluid you guys using?

Sry for the threadjack.

The V has a 'self-leveling' PS fluid resevoir, (read as: it leaks out of the cap until it doesn't leak any more), so if you fill it between the marks it will lead out around corners until it hits the 'right' level.

CadiBlk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Silver '05 V

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    The V has a 'self-leveling' PS fluid resevoir, (read as: it leaks out of the cap until it doesn't leak any more), so if you fill it between the marks it will lead out around corners until it hits the 'right' level.
    Thank you.

When stone cold the fluid should on the mark over the word "cold." You really can't overfill it because it just spills out.

The cooler adds about 1/2 quart of capacity. It took about two quarts to refill but I did not attempt to empty the system as I will flush later to get out any contaminates from the install.

I just put OEM fluid in it for now so I can see if the cooler prevents the OEM fluid from overheating. Otherwise I would look for some higher temperature stuff.

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

nice. thanks for the pictures. Out of curiousity, how did you secure your fancy stainless hoses to the stock rubber ones?

Many ways to skin a cat, just curious how you did it.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Very nice install!

Can I pop by, say, Thursday, and you can do mine, too?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

In pic four, the shot of the front of the car on the ramps..... Aren't the wheels supposed to be on the ramp? I'm afraid of it when they aren't centered and just haging off a little bit.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Very Nice Darkman! Have you seens some temp reductions since the install?

PISNUOFF Guest

nmaier2201 - It looks like barbed fittings on one end for the rubber hose and -AN fittings on the other end for the braided SS hose.

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Ahh ok. I couldn't see it from the picture well enough and thought you had something else in there.... thanks for letting me know.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.