Power Steering Cooler - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Power Steering Cooler in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by nmaier2201 nice. thanks for the pictures. Out of curiousity, how did you secure your fancy stainless hoses ...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Power Steering Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    nice. thanks for the pictures. Out of curiousity, how did you secure your fancy stainless hoses to the stock rubber ones?

Many ways to skin a cat, just curious how you did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    nmaier2201 - It looks like barbed fittings on one end for the rubber hose and -AN fittings on the other end for the braided SS hose.
    You guessed it. I used AN-6 hose barb to AN-6 female at the stock hoses. I did this so that if the stock hoses need replaced at some point the OEM hoses will fit without and adaptation.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    In pic four, the shot of the front of the car on the ramps..... Aren't the wheels supposed to be on the ramp? I'm afraid of it when they aren't centered and just haging off a little bit.
    Belt and suspenders approach (jack stands & ramps, with the jack still in place) - the installation required me to spend a lot time measuring, fitting, and installing with nothing but my head underneath the car so I wasn't taking any chances.

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Very Nice Darkman! Have you seens some temp reductions since the install?
    Too soon to tell. I don't have a power steering temperature guage and I have not had a chance to go to my (cough) "track".

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I don't have a power steering temperature guage

Sorry, but a silly question. How do you know you required extra cooling ?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...uid-temps.html

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post

After hard runs on the back roads I was having to add fluid and when changing the fluid it was dark brown, which according to the Service Manual indicates that the fluid is "burnt". Milky fluid by way of comparison indicates the presence of water/moisture according to the Service Manual. The OEM fluid I use is crystal clear when new.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 LS6 Stealth Grey

I forgot to mention earlier, that is does look real nice. I'm assuming you used the bracket as per the faq to reinstall. The hoses are a nice touch. Did you do that for the rest of the car?

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    I forgot to mention earlier, that is does look real nice. I'm assuming you used the bracket as per the faq to reinstall. The hoses are a nice touch. Did you do that for the rest of the car?
    I could not use the OEM bracket as was done in the FAQ. I fabricated a bracket using the metal stock (some aluminum and some steel) that is readily available from Home Depot. (The pictures show the cooler with and without the brackets). The fasteners are all Grade 8 used with red label Loctite thread locker.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post

I think you're drawing a flawed conclusion from the data you gathered and from what Redline told you. Just like the engine, transmission, and diff fluids, keeping the PS fluid cool is going to keep the fluid happy longer. Our engine oil doesn't start boiling until about 600F, too, but that doesn't mean I'd be happy rolling around with temps even half that high. Hell, I'm not happy that my screwed up oil temp sensor shows I'm at 260F!

When you asked Redline the boiling temperature of the fluid did you bother to ask them what the optimum temperature for their ATFs is? I'd be willing to bet it's not 270F. Just like engine oils, it's probably in the 220-230F range.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

I do not what temperature the power steering pump can endure without harm, but power steering hoses are only rated to 300 Fahrenheit so having fluids with boiling points twice that level is not necessarily responsive to the need to protect the system from potential damage.

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I think you're drawing a flawed conclusion from the data you gathered and from what Redline told you.

When you asked Redline the boiling temperature of the fluid did you bother to ask them what the optimum temperature for their ATFs is? I'd be willing to bet it's not 270F. Just like engine oils, it's probably in the 220-230F range.
    No flawed conclusion. It's only a matter of what question was asked. In this thread there are references by both bdawg and darkman of "boil over".

My point is that we are not boiling over our fluid. As Brian mentioned it's just spillage from the reservoir. Most of the V-Owners (myself included initially) thought that our power steering fluid boils over.

No, I did not ask Redline what their ideal operating range was, but easy enough to ask. And I don't argue that additional cooling did not provide a benefit.

Ron

See attached.
    Attached Files

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.