Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  StealthV 
#1 ·
Thought you guys might like this. Wife just sent it to me.

Shane

Subject: CTS-V Unique Features Not Common with Other Cadillac Vehicles
Message #: CAS20040022
Corporate Bulletin Number 04-00-89-027 is currently available in SI.

CTS-V Unique Features Not Common with Other Cadillac Vehicles

Models: 2004–2005 Cadillac CTS-V

This bulletin is intended to inform dealers of some of the unique features and functions of this model.

Stiff Ride

Important: Ensure that the tire pressure is at 30 psi (210 kPa) for both front and rear tires.

The CTS-V has a noticeably stiffer suspension than the CTS. This may not bother the performance car enthusiast, but Cadillac loyalist and those with traditional Cadillac expectations may not find this feature appealing.

Rear Axle Hop

The independent 5-link rear suspension on the CTS-V is designed to keep the tires and wheels stuck to the road. However, in extreme loss of drive wheel traction or abusive applications of power, if the throttle is not reduced, the effects of the suspension's design to keep the tire firmly against the road surface will result in a noticeable, abrupt wheel/axle hop.

Handling in Snow

The CTS-V is equipped with P245/45WR18 Extended Mobility Tires (EMT, or run-flat). These are Goodyear F1 Supercar performance-oriented tires and provide the ultimate handling for the combination street and track environment. They are not, however, all-season tires and will not give optimum performance in mud or snow. If the CTS-V is to be driven in areas that regularly experience adverse winter conditions, snow tires of the same size on all four wheels should be considered. Never exceed the speed rating for your selected tire. Winter tires will be available in the future.

Brake Dust

Brembo high performance brake systems are on all four corners of the CTS-V. A key requirement of a high performance lining is to dissipate heat from the braking system, thus resisting fade, cooling rotors and preventing brake fluid boil. A by-product of this heat dissipation, though, is brake dust. Brake dust accumulation on wheel faces is normal and common with high performance linings.

Critical Tire Pressure Monitor

Tire pressure monitor systems are emerging on many vehicles and add additional safety and awareness regarding tire inflation. TPM was selected for the CTS-V because it uses EMT run-flat tires and does not have a spare. Specified tire pressures are critical on the CTS-V due to the window of the TPM calibration. Tires come from the factory filled at 38♦psi (260♦kPa) to ensure proper sealing of the bead seat and to prevent tire damage in tied-down shipping. If not adjusted to the correct 30♦psi (210♦kPa) tire placard specification by the dealer, the tire, when warmed up, will easily exceed the 42♦psi (290♦kPa) limit on the TPM and illuminate system warnings and faults to the driver. Excessive pressures will also turn an already very stiff ride into a harsh poor handling experience.

Rough Idle
The 400♦horsepower LS6 V8 engine derives its awesome power through a combination of displacement, stroke and tuning. A key element of this combination is giving the engine better "breathing" ability through unique camshaft to valve lift and duration. The efficient process of getting the air/fuel mixture in and exhaust gases out of the combustion chamber is achieved through this higher valve lift and longer valve open times. The result of camshaft design results in what is commonly referred to as an unstable idle or the random roughness of the engine. This is normal and does not indicate a concern.

1-4 Skip Shift

This feature helps the driver get the best possible fuel economy. When certain parameters are met, the transmission will force the driver to perform a 1st to 4th shift, not allowing a shift to 2nd gear. The following conditions must be met in order for this to happen:

• the engine coolant temperature is higher than 169°F (76° C),
• vehicles speeds are 15-19♦mph (24-31♦km/h) and
• the throttle percentage is 21 or less

There is a 1-4 indicator in the speedometer Driver Information Center, but it does not illuminate all of the time. It is only momentarily in presence and is usually not seen. This will be a very aggravating feature if not adequately explained to the driver.

Brake Lining Bind After Setting

The Brembo brake components have a tendency to a light bind, often noted as resistance, then a light clunk when attempting to move the vehicle forward or rearward after a cold soak. This is usually noticed after parking, when the brakes have been wet, as in driving in the rain or just after a car wash. This is normal and does not effect the operation or performance of the brakes.

Driveline Clunk on Declutch in Parade Type Driving

While driving in a steady, slow speed parade-type situation, a clunk-clunk noise from the driveline may be heard when depressing and releasing the clutch pedal or between shifts.This noise is characteristic of torque reversal of the driveline due to component architecture and is not a condition of operational concern. This noise may be slightly more noticeable on the CTS-V than the base CTS model due to rotating inertia of the large dual mass flywheel and larger diameter propshaft. This condition is normal and no repairs should be attempted.

Oil Life System and Mobil-1 Oil

Mobil-1 synthetic engine oil is the factory fill for the CTS-V. Oils other than Mobil-1 may be used as long as they meet GM Standard♦GM4718M. Oils may be identified as synthetic but may not meet this standard. Mobil-1 meets all of the requirements. Oil life may seem shorter on the CTS-V because the OLS algorithm uses factors of engine RPM and coolant temperature cycles, both of which the CTS-V will experience in greater fluctuations. This may result in shorter intervals as compared to other Cadillac vehicles.

Navigation But No Voice Commands

The navigation radio system used in the CTS-V functions similarly to the unit used on the CTS, with a few exceptions. Since the steering wheel controls on the CTS-V are for the I/P DIC, traction control, and cruise control, you do not have any re-configurable controls, OnStar® interface or voice command controls. Voice command, therefore, is unavailable on the CTS-V.

Memory Functions

The driver 1 and 2 seat and mirror memory functions are the same as the CTS, with one exception. Because the CTS-V has a manual transmission, these functions will only work when the parking brake is set, whether the driver uses the RKE or the 1 and 2 button on the driver's door panel.

G-Force Meter

A lateral accelerometer display is located in the left instrument panel display, under the tachometer. It can be accessed by using the outer most rocker switch on the left steering wheel spoke. In this mode, the meter will display momentary and peak lateral acceleration. To reset the peak acceleration to zero, simply press and hold down the outer most rocker switch on the left spoke of the steering wheel while the G-force meter is displayed.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice to see them prepping the dealers for the known issues. “When you hear ……., say this …”

I do have one point to make on their comments (I think this was stated before)
ssmith100 said:
Rear Axle Hop

The independent 5-link rear suspension on the CTS-V is designed to keep the tires and wheels stuck to the road. However, in extreme loss of drive wheel traction or abusive applications of power, if the throttle is not reduced, the effects of the suspension's design to keep the tire firmly against the road surface will result in a noticeable, abrupt wheel/axle hop.
How does Cadillac get 0 to 60 in 4.6 (Advertised) AND not wheel hop or use “abusive applications of power”?

ssmith100 said:
1-4 Skip Shift

This feature helps the driver get the best possible fuel economy. When certain parameters are met, the transmission will force the driver to perform a 1st to 4th shift, not allowing a shift to 2nd gear. The following conditions must be met in order for this to happen:

There is a 1-4 indicator in the speedometer Driver Information Center, but it does not illuminate all of the time. It is only momentarily in presence and is usually not seen. This will be a very aggravating feature if not adequately explained to the driver.
Well, I would say it is a very aggravating feature period.

Dgtal

#5 ·

While driving in a steady, slow speed parade-type situation, a clunk-clunk noise from the driveline may be heard when depressing and releasing the clutch pedal or between shifts.This noise is characteristic of torque reversal of the driveline due to component architecture and is not a condition of operational concern. This noise may be slightly more noticeable on the CTS-V than the base CTS model due to rotating inertia of the large dual mass flywheel and larger diameter propshaft. This condition is normal and no repairs should be attempted.

Thanks for clearing this out! :)

1-4 Skip Shift

Let me get this straight... If I'm driving on first gear then the icon appears....does it mean I can switch to 4th gear without having to work my up? or does the car do it automatically?(Excuse my ignorance Haven't really had time to sit down and read the manual)

#7 ·
Stiff Ride

Important: Ensure that the tire pressure is at 30 psi (210 kPa) for both front and rear tires.

The CTS-V has a noticeably stiffer suspension than the CTS. This may not bother the performance car enthusiast, but Cadillac loyalist and those with traditional Cadillac expectations may not find this feature appealing.
Funny as the CTS-V is the only Caddy I would ever consider, otherwise you can find me in an S4, C55/C32 or M3...
Rear Axle Hop

If the suspension is "designed to keep the tires on the road" would not a wheel hopping off the road be a design flaw? :helpless:

#11 ·
ssmith100 said:
Stiff Ride

I have actually found that the ride AND handling is better with a few more lbs of air (32/33 cold, 37/38 hot).

ssmith100 said:
Rear Axle Hop
So does this mean I can't shift from 1-2 (or 2-3) IN the powerband? I don't find that abusive, but maybe I'm wrong. I even get a Traction Engaged warning at this point (consistantly) so I'm not sure it's really putting firm tire pressure against the road surface.

ssmith100 said:
Handling in Snow
Don't intend to find out.

ssmith100 said:
Brake Dust
I Can live with that.

ssmith100 said:
Critical Tire Pressure Monitor
So they won't work well with non EMT tires?

ssmith100 said:
Rough Idle
I Can live with that.

ssmith100 said:
1-4 Skip Shift
Already done away with.
ssmith100 said:
Brake Lining Bind After Setting
Nice to know (now).
ssmith100 said:
Yeah this is another one of my pet peeves - it sucks when in stop and go traffic.
ssmith100 said:
Oil Life System and Mobil-1 Oil
OK.
ssmith100 said:
Navigation But No Voice Commands
Weird that they couldn't have figured out a way to do it all, the owners might just have to find a way to make it work. You'd think voice control would be better in a car with a manual transmission (more hand off the wheel etc.), but what do I know. Reed let us know what you discover once you have the module.
ssmith100 said:
Memory Functions
Yeah mine don't work about half the time.
ssmith100 said:
G-Force Meter
I think that's in the users manual.

#12 ·
Shinkaze said:
If the suspension is "designed to keep the tires on the road" would not a wheel hopping off the road be a design flaw? :helpless:
Sorta yes, and sorta no.... having a bit of compliance in the suspension can help on uneven road surfaces, where non-compliance would have you "skittering" across, if you know what I mean. Still TBD whether the "compliance" is there for planting the tires, or NVH issues.

#13 ·
globed70 said:
Sorta yes, and sorta no.... having a bit of compliance in the suspension can help on uneven road surfaces, where non-compliance would have you "skittering" across, if you know what I mean. Still TBD whether the "compliance" is there for planting the tires, or NVH issues.
and yet this "feature" of a high performance suspension is somehow lacking the Vette...hmmmm

#14 ·
Shinkaze said:
and yet this "feature" of a high performance suspension is somehow lacking the Vette...hmmmm
I'd have to say that the CTS-V *rides* much nice than a Vette. The stiffer suspension on the Vette (and I believe the monoleaf) contributes to no wheel hop. Drive the FG2 = little to no wheel hop.

#15 ·
The CTS-V is not supposed to have a Corvette ride.
It is seeing how much performance they extrude from the chassis while still keeping something that resembles Cadillac ride quality. If you have ever driven a Corvette, you know that the suspension is much more firm (especially in the Z06) than what is found in the V. Also, the Z06 has wheel hop, nothing anywhere as severe as what is found in the V, but it is there.

You can make the wheel hop disappear, but you will compromise your ride to do it.

#17 ·
ssmith: Is this a for-real notice that went to dealers? It's almost as if they went down the list of hot topics from this site and from the roadfly site.

Is there a paper version that someone can get there hands on and post? (without getting in any trouble, of course).

Doug

#19 ·
At least they hear our complaints... whether they fix them or not is a different issue, but at least they here that we are complaining about these issues...

FYI: I posted this on the FAQ. Thanks SSMITH100...

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.