Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  drdsgolf 
#1 ·
Thinking about changing to non-RFs... for long trips would like to throw a spare in the trunk.

Any options out there?

Stock wheel is ~$450... that plus tire is too steep.

Anyone know the width and offset of the SRX wheels (and if they are cheaper?)

Any companies that will make me a custom "steel wheel"?

#2 ·
Here's my sightly different take on this....

What are the Run Flats for? I'm envisioning my worst case senario.

They allow you to travel X distance (I can't recall if it was 50 or 80 or something else miles @ 55mph) on a tire wthout any air pressure. So I'm on a trip to a city >500 miles away. I get a flat in the middle of nowhere, and can thanks to run flats - drive safely to a service station I dont know where they will hack at the tire (it will be toast at this point) off (messing up the rim) and HOPEFULLY have a tire of a smiliar size to put on for me (not Z rated etc.), and it'lll cost me an arm and a leg for the experience. Let's not forget that I'll now have mismatched tires (another cost to buy another tire, mount etc.)

Same situation without run flats (the only difference would be if the tire failed @ SPEED). I don't carry a spare, I grab my can of fix-a-flat, use as directed and keep on driving. Now before you tell me I've ruined my TPS by using the goop, I think I'm ok with that. The TPS is <$100 which is what I think I would have to pay for a cheapo replacement tire from some unknown place (see above) in the middle of nowhere (still crossing fingers if they have something that would fit). Also saving the cost/weight of jack, spare, tools, etc. Buy the spare TPS ahead of time (even keep it in the car if you need to). Now I need to (possibly) repair the rim and buy a new fresh usuable tire.

TireRack can FedEX a tire to you (if you need to) and you can find a worthy shop near your distant destination by asking a few forums like this one - yeah it's a hassle but really how much more so than the EMT (run-flats) would be to replace in a similar situation?

Thoughts?
-Ben

#3 ·
I agree with what ben said but with one addition...

Rather than use fix a flat, I call my towing company ($50/year gets me unlimited towing anywhere in the US) and have them flatbed me to where ever can mount the correct tire... No fix-a-flat necessary (but its good to have it as a backup JIC)...

One other thing to mention: If you get a flat on a non-runflat tire, it will likely crush the tire sensor anyway because the tire wall with fold (unlike the runflat) and the weight of the car will crush it. And yes its worth it to pay <$100 for a tire sensor when you save >$100/tire for the EMTs...

not to mention that any other tire will wear better and last longer.

In summary: I agree with ben... as usual...

Reed
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

#4 ·
All valid points... BUT...

I'm not a big fan of the fix-a-flat stuff. The one time i needed it for a flat on my vette... i used as directed... and it poured out of the puncture onto the road and all over my shoes! And the hole wasn't even that big.

The AAA idea is fine... but this is the "middle of no where" scanario... so then 2 hours later, i get towed to who-knows-where... see Ben's worst case senario above.

Dont you guys think it's a LOT easier to just carry a spare... changing the tire would take less than 10 minutes and your done... deal with fixing the flat when you get back home...

Again, carry the spare only for long road-trips, hundred of miles from home, 50+ miles to "next gas"...

#5 ·
I agree with the desire to carry a spare. I have been hoping to find a V that has been wrecked so that maybe I could buy one wheel at a discount. But I find myself feeling guilty for someone else's misfortune. Because of the 6 lug pattern and big brakes, I suspect it will be really difficult to find an inexpensive spare wheel. Anyone want to sell a stock wheel??

#6 ·
My 2 Cents.

Tire sensors are only $55.00 a piece, had to buy four of them. We were going to pull a SRX spare to see if it would clear the brake calipers but I got in to much of a hurry to get my wheels on. I will let everyone know if it will work in the next couple of weeks. My car has to go in for service as soon as my new console lid gets here (it broke) and I'll have them pull a wheel and check the SRX spare.

Shane

#8 ·
Dreamin said:
Dont you guys think it's a LOT easier to just carry a spare... changing the tire would take less than 10 minutes and your done... deal with fixing the flat when you get back home...

Again, carry the spare only for long road-trips, hundred of miles from home, 50+ miles to "next gas"...
Yes I actually DO think it's easier to carry a spare when going >200 miles from home, but at what cost? >$600 (Tire, Rim, & TPS - not including Jack, Tools, etc.)? At ~$200 (wheel and tire - maybe the SRX spare) I would consider something for use as a temporary spare, rather than spend it on a normal V Rim, Tire, TPS, etc. But that's just me.

-Ben

#9 ·
If you want a trip without hassles, then a matching spare wheel and tire is hard to beat... and makes sense for the V more than other cars. Seeing that all 4 wheels/tires are the same, you can replace any of the 4 corners and have the convenience of replacing the trashed tire at the next major stop on your trip.

Haven't looked, but would a full size tire fit in the trunk floor spare compartment?

#10 ·
globed70 said:
If you want a trip without hassles, then a matching spare wheel and tire is hard to beat... and makes sense for the V more than other cars. Seeing that all 4 wheels/tires are the same, you can replace any of the 4 corners and have the convenience of replacing the trashed tire at the next major stop on your trip.

Haven't looked, but would a full size tire fit in the trunk floor spare compartment?
Agreed (but again at what price)?

I doubt it, but to be honest I haven't looked into it that much (that space is no diff that the regular CTS which doesn't have 18's to deal with, and not sure if they use a full size spare anyway).

#11 ·
If you go with a steel wheel, expect to have problems with the tire pressure sensors.
Good info, i would not bother with the TPS in a spare.

Agreed (but again at what price)?
Exactly the reason for this post... hopefully someone has an idea for a cheaper solution. I think the only way to justify a new wheel & matching tire is if it was rotated onto the car, extending the life of the other four tires... but it's a pretty steep option...

#13 ·
Well, it's fitting I see this thread and respond. I just placed an order for 1 new F1 EMT. With a 3 1/2 week trip across the grand ole USA, I bought the 1 as a spare . It will be unmounted and replaced at wherever a failure occurs. The EMTs are designed to be good even after a failure. If it's a tread area puncture.

Now, being that it is such a long trip, with 3 people BTW, I need as much room as possible. The good thing about it being unmounted is that I can use the tires' hollow space. If anything happens, I have it. Granted, I'd rather have a spare wheel to go with it, but $328 was enough.

As far as all these aftermarket wheels going on, having different front and rear sizes is going to be a pain come replacement time. Spare tires would have to be temporary, unless you have quick turnaround with TireRack or stock a supply. And as for handling, I like the fact the car is extremely neutral and don't want to do different front and back until people have swaybar combos or shock valving down to recapture that neutrality. My mind is on the track, not the strip.

#14 ·
When my F1s wear out I will bite the bullet and buy a spare 18" stock wheel (with a TPS) & 5 Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S tires (non-EMT). I will mount 1 tire on the spare wheel and throw it in the trunk for trips or additional weight for enhanced snow traction in the winter. Adding the spare to the tire rotation pattern will justify the extra tire expense. The money I save on the non-EMTs should eventually pay for the spare wheel and TPS.

#15 ·
SRX spare is 17"... so i doubt is will clear the brakes (esp. not the rears)

And the tire is a 145/70/17 => 25" tall... that's so short, it'll tear up the diff running it on one side and stock height tire on the other side.

I'm going to look into the Viper's Spare... (same bolt pattern)

CCW said they could do a 19x8 for <$400... their 18s wont really fit.

#18 ·
I'm thinking of this mounted in the trunk with a wheel and tire off a Chevy truck. Take the wheel and egg-shape out the holes by hand to fit the smaller diameter 6 bolt pattern. Hmm, wonder if there is enough room for the tire carrier on top of the trunk?

#20 ·
Does anybody have any updates on their quests for a spare tire? I've got 8600 miles on my V and it's time to replace the tires. I could probably push them for another 1000 - 1500 miles but I don't want to do that through the winter. Right now I'm leaning toward getting the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's. I had a set before on my Lincoln LS and I loved them. Michelin does offer the Pilot Sport A/S in run flats but not in our size so I'm just trying to figure out what to do about a spare. I'm leaning toward not buying a spare unless I actually get a flat and I'm stranded somewhere where I can't purchase another Pilot Sport A/S. That way I don't spend the money unless I actually need to.

#21 ·
I am a geezer with about one million motorcycle miles. Have never had a flat on a motorcycle; and cannot remember a flat tire on an auto in 40 years. My sense is that the risk is comparatively small.
Nevertheless, what I carry on my CTS-V and touring motorcycle is a pocket tire plugger from www.stopngo.com. I have never used it, but magazines have reviewed it favorably.
As for compressed air cartridges, I would not bother. I have a small air compressor which works off 12vt. It is about the size of a pistol. Bought it at Costco for $10 or so.

#22 · (Edited)
I have driven the east coast for 25 years. Cities, suburbs, and busy highways of all flavors. I avoid glass and road debris wherever possible. Nevertheless I get a flat every few years. A nail, a screw....once I pulled a damned spark plug out of a Firsetone ATX tire.

I often drive with young kids in the car. Would never do it without a spare or runflats. I immediately discarded any thought of the 2002 era M5 since a can of air is meaningless when your tire vaporizes in about 3 seconds going flat at 65 mph.

40 years with no flats is rather remarkable; I guess I need to move to the Pac Northwest.

But hey, regarding to spare or not to spare, do whatever you are comfortable with.

D

#25 ·
Here was how I decided to solve this problem. I had 4 Goodyear GSD3's installed. I bought a mille miglia 18x8 wheel for $210 and put the best of my left over run-flats on that wheel. It is sitting in the wheel well created by removing the annoying plastic tub from the existing well. It fits OK, sticks up very slightly above the floor level, but I don't care, it is a trunk. I bought a Holley floor jack at Kragen for $20 which will work fine if needed. For those of you planning on using tire goop for a flat, perhaps you have never torn the sidewall of a tire by sideswiping a curb. The tire goop won't work with a major defect like that. Just my thoughts.

David

#26 ·
You can pick up a single CTV-V rim at gmpartsdirect.com for $390.00 instead of $661.00 list price. Not cheap, but better than list price and its an exact match. From the main web page click on upgrades than the CTS-V picture.
GM PART # 9595354
CATEGORY: Wheels
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $661.28
OUR PRICE: $390.15
DESCRIPTION: WHL18X8.5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.