Strange problem? (Service Theft System, ABS/TCS/BRAKE)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Strange problem? (Service Theft System, ABS/TCS/BRAKE) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm driving home from work a few days ago when I see "Service Theft System" come up on the Nav ...
    TheBlurLS1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Strange problem? (Service Theft System, ABS/TCS/BRAKE)

I'm driving home from work a few days ago when I see "Service Theft System" come up on the Nav screen. The BRAKE, TCS (off), and ABS lights come on and all start flashing at a seemingly random pace, and the car is bonging at me. I get home (a few blocks away), turn off, and restart. From then on all the lights are still on (Brake/TCS/ABS), but it doesn't bong anymore and the "Service Theft System" doesn't come up. I unplugged the battery and the TCM/PCM fuses for a while, let it reset, and it started all over again when I started the car up. It did it without even moving the car, so I doubt it's a fault speed sensor.

I checked all the speed sensors and the brake fluid level sensor and everything is still plugged in and looks to be alright.

Since it has been doing this, it has disabled the slow-speed power steering assist, so it's kind of a bitch to turn. Does anyone have any input on what's causing this? The car starts/runs just fine, but I can't change the TCS settings and it's a BITCH to turn.

Thanks for the read.

-Casey

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Strange problem? (Service Theft System, ABS/TCS/BRAKE)

I suspect your problem lies in the theft deterrent system. Just reading that particular section of the Service Manual makes my head hurt. I would take it to a dealer, but if you can get it to one of those auto parts stores that will check the DTCs (diagnostic trouble code) with a scanner I can supply the info on whatever DTC you have.

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

Both steering rack and ABS module are low near the front crank pulley. There is also a wiring loom that goes through that area. I'm think damaged harness or maybe bad ground.

Norm

I have HPTuners, but it isn't throwing the service engine light. I'll check anyway when I get a chance though.

I didn't mention before, but the G-meter will not read anything in either direction. I checked just about every fuse that looked even close to being related and didn't find any blown ones. I will try to do a better check on the wiring harness, maybe pull the intake tube off or something.

Anyone have any experience with this or heard of this happening before? I really would like to have a better place to aim than the main wiring harness up front lol, especially if I'm not even going to find shit.

The SES will only come on for EPA related codes. Scan with hptuners, clear or delete them as you'll have some in history, and rescan.

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by NormV View Post
    The SES will only come on for EPA related codes. Scan with hptuners, clear or delete them as you'll have some in history, and rescan.

Norm
    Good point, I forgot about the communication errors and such that it can throw. I will check it out tonight.

Holllllllllllllllly shit. This thing is having serious issues.... Here's what showed up on the scanner. Anyone have any idea of what this could be. I'm guessing it's probably just one thing wrong that's causing it all, considering it all happened at one time.

jguzma is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this or heard of this happening before? I really would like to have a better place to aim than the main wiring harness up front lol, especially if I'm not even going to find shit.
    I had the same problem!! ABS light, traction light, and brake light. Theft system came on the same day, and never came back on. Two days later the steering system service soon light came on, no power steering. Took it the the dealership two weeks ago on a Friday morning, they call me about 3 hours later saying its ready! All it was is the ABS module, they replaced it. Haven't had a light go off yet! Knock on wood.

I finally found it. Ground wire was broken off at the lug. I stripped it, put on a new one, and bolted it back down. The yellow connector is the new connection I had to make.

Super! Just a little poking around is all it took. Glad it was a relatively easy fix.

Norm

joe45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 seville sts 219K

My 2001 STS just started doing the same thing yesterday. I'm going to check the ground wire tonight and see if that's it. Here's the codes I'm getting.
    C1295
    U1016
    U1066
    B1328

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1 View Post
    Holllllllllllllllly shit. This thing is having serious issues.... Here's what showed up on the scanner. Anyone have any idea of what this could be. I'm guessing it's probably just one thing wrong that's causing it all, considering it all happened at one time.

Let us know if those go away when you rescan. I also have HP Tuners and my scans look similar without any PCM faults though. I also have grounding issues and am wondering if they will ever be fixed. (BTW No symptoms at all but I see all those codes)

joe45 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 seville sts 219K

Mine was a broken ground wire too. On the STS it was the large wire from the engine to the wheel well under the fuse box. The terminal broke off the end of the wire and was making intermittent contact.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by joe45 View Post
    Mine was a broken ground wire too. On the STS it was the large wire from the engine to the wheel well under the fuse box. The terminal broke off the end of the wire and was making intermittent contact.
    Glad you got it worked out. Now get back to the STS section! j/k It seems all models of Caddys have grounding issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.