About to take GC kit off and throw in the woods!!! Please help.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, About to take GC kit off and throw in the woods!!! Please help. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I still have noises coming from what sounds like the GC kit. I just got back from lifting the car ...
    justin311 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

About to take GC kit off and throw in the woods!!! Please help.

I still have noises coming from what sounds like the GC kit. I just got back from lifting the car up and without any weight on the suspension I can grab the spring and move it back and forth REALLY easy. I may be wrong, but it seems to me like that when I go over bumps, brake, let off brake that the spring MAY move and make these noises. Cause it is just metal to metal. Maybe I need to do some adjusting? I have the Nitto 255/45/18's on it. It is 27.5" in the rear and like 26-7/8" in the front. I have the spacers on the rear. If anybody can help, it would be much appreciated. Leaving in the morning for Indiana and I would love not to listen to that all the way there. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Re: About to take GC kit off and throw in the woods!!! Please help.

The springs are suppose to be easily moved in their perch with the suspension unloaded. That's not the cause of your noise. You'll need to give us a refresher of what noises you're getting with the GC...

justin311 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Over bumps and at a start and stop, it sounds like a clunk. I have that RMD bar on and all that looks really tight. I just put the spacer in today with the rubber washer. It still makes noise. I'm driving around with the entire back seat out. It's not gremlins I swear. My buddy was in the back seat the other night and he was like what is that noise?

What is the RMD bar? A rear strut tower brace? I used 2 Feff spec'd spacers per side.

LUVMY04V is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 cadillac cts v

crank the nut on the top down as hard as you can and make sure that rubber bushing is totally! compressed. aka smashed aka smushed out. otherwise you will get clunk

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Sometimes when you jack the car up, a rear spring will not seat properly in the perch when you lower it back down. When you then drive off and go over any small bump, that spring will reseat in the perch with a BAM !!! Scared the crap out of me the first time it happened.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

SoJersey05V is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

double check the center shock bolt at the top... mine came off when driving 3 days after install (talking rear here) and made a huge bang.. but if you are getting noises i'd say you need to add the spacers in the like feffman found out for us... i have ZERO issues with my GC and i love it.. (except for the front squeeking, even with the $33 bearing per side in the front BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY!!!)

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

The more i read about the GC kit the less i want to take the plunge..so many mixed results

Has anyone installed the GC kit and retained the stock ride noise quality?(minus, those creaky ass TSB Spacers, now those were a waste of time) I just keep on hearing about bad results from this route and prolonged mod hell..

Quote Originally Posted by shadybx7 View Post
    The more i read about the GC kit the less i want to take the plunge..so many mixed results

Has anyone installed the GC kit and retained the stock ride noise quality?(minus, those creaky ass TSB Spacers, now those were a waste of time) I just keep on hearing about bad results from this route and prolonged mod hell..
    The only issue I had was a squeaky driver's side bump stop. A bit of greasing a few times over a few months and I don't hear it anymore. Other than that, I've been very happy with the GC...

tweeter81 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Honestly, in my opinion, the huge increase in handling and the adjustability of the GC Kit makes even the clunking worth it. And the price is so reasonable you can't go wrong with the kit. Just try the kit and if the clunking over bumps really bugs you then do the Feffman fix and be done with it. I have had my kit on for 3 years and have not had any problems other than clunking which I have gotten used to.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I agree with tbjs and tweeter. The ride is firmer but not at all harsh. Add the Feffman Fix, then sit back and enjoy how much better the car looks, too.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I am still on the fence about Ground Control because I will need a new set of shocks at the same time.

Whether I get replacement FG2s, QA1s or anything else + Ground Control, + the other bits & pieces required to make GC quiet I get a cost roughly equal to a set of KW Coilovers that reportedly have no issues.

Therein lies the conumdrum.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey

What exactly is the Feffman fix? Are they the bearings for the fronts? I am in need of a suspension overhaul. I really don't want to go into another mod hell as my sway bars are my nemisis right now.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ahahnu View Post
    What exactly is the Feffman fix? Are they the bearings for the fronts? I am in need of a suspension overhaul. I really don't want to go into another mod hell as my sway bars are my nemisis right now.
    This thread contains links to two different options on bearings to make the front quiet.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...se-issues.html

SoJersey05V is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

The bearings dont work! it still squeeks.. i bought the $33 each bearing and it squeeks, but to all on the fence... jump on over! do the Feffman fix in the back and the back will be fine... in the front if you want to do the bearings dont get the sealed ones for $66 just do unsealed ones... i can get 2 of them for about $25 lol...

as we all can see some people cant stand a click of creek, where i will deal with a fcking squeek for the great handling.... PUSH THE THROTTLE DOWN AND YOU WONT HEAR THE SQUEEK!!! lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.