Spark plug change = blood on driveway
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Spark plug change = blood on driveway in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Whoever thought changing the plugs on the V yourself is a great idea...was wrong. Ah, that was me. I almost ...
    dannboss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 BMW M5 | 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Spark plug change = blood on driveway

Whoever thought changing the plugs on the V yourself is a great idea...was wrong. Ah, that was me. I almost forgot until I looked away from the screen and looked at my hands with scrapes, cuts, and band aids.

Anyone considering this, please do yourself a favor and remove the coil packs before removing anything. I got the right side done and started the left before putting the coil packs back on and calling it a day.

At this point, I will be headed to the shop with 4 AC Delco plugs and 4 NGK TR6 plugs. Not ideal, but ideally less pain.

Beating.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Spark plug change = blood on driveway

Ahhh..that doesn't sound promising! I hear it's easier if you remove the battery too, and I have headers so that should make it a little easier. I am going to be changing my plugs/wires this weekend!

BacDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Yip, I still have the scars.

blood on driveway...and clothes...and in garage...and pretty much all the way to the sink.

Forgot to mention it also helps if you have carney hands, or have a strong child to get in the tight spots. The right side was ok once I saw what I needed to do, but the left side just doesn't have the same amount of room. Removing the battery help, but you still have to work around the battery cradle, which doesn't come out. Also, you have the oil dipstick and the fuse box wire bundle RIGHT IN THE WAY.

I was quoted a max of $85 before I began, and should have taken the deal. Now, I am wondering if it will be half price....?

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

getting mine put in with the headers and motor mounts at the same time... 200.00 to install headers, plugs and motor mounts.

thanks for the heads up, now I know I am glad I took my shop up on the install.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Yup. I remember this when I did the headers. Forearms and hands looked they did battle with giant eggbeaters ...

and lost.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by dannboss View Post
    I was quoted a max of $85 before I began, and should have taken the deal. Now, I am wondering if it will be half price....?
    I had 21st change mine on the CTS-V when they put the headers on (at about 28K miles) simply because they were already in there taking things apart and I figured it was a good time to pay somebody else. On the STS-V the dealership has quoted me between 120-160.00 to do it because they say they need extra time to pull the air intake off ? I may go back to 21st and let them.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Definitely remove the coil packs! I feel ya about the bloody knuckles....if you try and wear gloves, then you can't feel the holes to line em up! Lose - Lose.

I don't see how removing the battery would help at all. I remember the back passenger side being the major B outta the group.

BacDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Plugs weren't bad, it was getting the boots off that sucked. I could get my hands in there but there was no where to go. Tough to get an leverage to pull those bastards off.

Try coming into work the next day, when you work with your hands all over people, with cuts, blood, grease, .... all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Plugs weren't bad, it was getting the boots off that sucked. I could get my hands in there but there was no where to go. Tough to get an leverage to pull those bastards off.

Try coming into work the next day, when you work with your hands all over people, with cuts, blood, grease, .... all over them.
    Yep, the boots are the problem. If you can get all the way to the plugs, you are home free. How are you supposed to twist and pull the stupid boot when you are only able to get three fingers on it at best and have something on the back side of your hand already digging in? Hence, where the cuts come from.

Anyway, just wanted to give a heads up to people. Not trying to beat a dead horse. Unless it is Tanto's horse. That guy can suck it.

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Passenger side rear is the only one that gave me a real problem.

Coil packs definitely need to come off, and it's a good time to clean up those valve covers.

AG'S-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

So you guys recommend the NGKs over another set of AC Delcos? I came from a modular Ford that took Motorcrafts or nothing.

I'm bone stock approaching 40k miles...don't think my plugs have been changed yet...

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Plugs weren't bad, it was getting the boots off that sucked. ...

Quote Originally Posted by dannboss View Post
    Yep, the boots are the problem. If you can get all the way to the plugs, you are home free. How are you supposed to twist and pull the stupid boot when you are only able to get three fingers on it at best and have something on the back side of your hand already digging in? Hence, where the cuts come from. ...
    Totally agree.

Gotta get a pickle fork.

'05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

MauiV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tis Gone :(

Im about to change mine and I cant remember what Im running, I think its NGK T6s with the Maggie. T7s for a stocker? 1 cooler for the Maggie right?

KaMaSuTrA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac CTS-V

Blood and machine become as one...welcome to the CTS-V Wolf Pack haha!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.