Spark plug change = blood on driveway - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Spark plug change = blood on driveway in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by darkman And what is your hourly rate? May I add, before you even start, buy a variety ...
    ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Re: Spark plug change = blood on driveway

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    And what is your hourly rate?
    May I add, before you even start, buy a variety pack of short extensions. You will use a 1" extension several times (I'm not sure how long it is but its about an 1" or shorter) At least I did. It makes it so much easier using the right tools.

Max-Q is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V & Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    The first time took me like 4 hours and I had a huge gash on my hand were I sliced it open on the raised coil mount.

Now I can do all plugs (including gapping and a coat of anti-seize) from the top with coils removed in less than an hour with no bloody fingers. Its not bad once you have the tricks down.
    We need to become friends. Where do you live?

BacDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    May I add, before you even start, buy a variety pack of short extensions. You will use a 1" extension several times (I'm not sure how long it is but its about an 1" or shorter) At least I did. It makes it so much easier using the right tools.
    May I add, before you even start, buy a variety pack of Sam Adams.

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Changed my plugs and wires yesterday in 1.5 hours. That included removing coils, battery, battery tray,, dipstick tube, old plugs and wires, then installing new plugs and wires and reinstalling everything Got all of the plugs from the top except the back on on the passenger side. I guess the fact that I work in a lube shop and I'm used to sticking my hands in hot tight places helped out a lot (did the plug change about 20 minutes after driving home from work)!

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

In anticipation of some dyno work next week I changed my plugs for the first time today even though they only had 23k miles on them. It took me about 2 hours. I did remove the coil packs but did not remove the battery. The only one that took any effort was the the passenger side rear and it required only a little more finesse than the others. Having done this, I wonder what all the drama is about - it was no more difficult than changing the plugs in my 1997 Suburban. Additionally, the plugs I took out looked fine and the new plugs made no discernible difference in performance.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Most people end up spending the majority of the time remounting the dipstick (if they remove it).

Beer is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Most people end up spending the majority of the time remounting the dipstick (if they remove it).

Beer is your friend.
    The dipstick was never an issue and it never occurred to me to remove. I do have stock manifolds so I don't know if those with headers have a different set of problems that I did not have.

KaMaSuTrA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac CTS-V

I think most people do not remove the coils or don't have the plug metal jacket tool and that itself turns a simple plug change into a blood bath.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I rememer changing the spark plugs on my 79 Olds, with the Pontiac 6.6L. Huge engine bay=easy spark plug change. On 6 of them anyway. The other two were blocked by the AC unit. I swear some GM engineer decided to mount it right there, otherwise working on the engine would have been too easy for DIYers.

ELES6CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

SkullV or Darkman, did yall use any special tools to remove the boots? Thinking about doing these soon.

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Get a nice a set of kooks, makes it alot easier.

The worst part is getting the damm boots off, that boot puller tool would be key!

Quote Originally Posted by ELES6CTS View Post
    SkullV or Darkman, did yall use any special tools to remove the boots? Thinking about doing these soon.
    For the boots I used a "pickle fork" like the one pictured in Post#13. Twist the boot back and forth first to break the stiction. Use the valve cover as a fulcrum with the pickle fork if needed. Take the coil packs off and move out of the way. On the plugs I used a socket (of course) with a flexible head rachet some and a fixed head on others. The key seemed to be a variety of short extensions.

Finally, if you unplug the water temp sensor by plug #1 (driver's side front) don't forget to put it back on or you you get an immediate Check Engine Light on restart. Don't ask me how I know.

POS VETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I did not use special tool to pull on the boots, well, maybe a pair of really long pliers

But, yes, definitely remove the coil packs which means, remove the shock tower brace and the beauty cover first (my beauty cover was already out, I didn't take out the brace). Battery and dipstick are optional (I didn't).

Make sure you have plenty of room around the front of the car and plenty of light. Lay down some kind of fender cover especially if you are short like me (you will be half bent over the fender trying to reach the last one on each bank). Disposable gloves help reduce cuts without compromise in dexterity.

Try not to drop anything, retrieval may require telescoping magnet tool. Have a flashlight ready just in case.

NGK TR55IX replaced the old ones (41k miles old)and the difference in idle quality (I think there is less misfire event, just the cam lope now ) and the extra willingness in acceleration make all the effort worth while. I've been using NGK Iridiums exclusively on vehicles I own in the last several years.

POS VETT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I wonder how long it will take me to change them now that I know what to do Anyone local got a V needing spark plug change and a stopwatch ?

ELES6CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

POS VETT, it is too bad that you don't leave here in the DFW area, since i have a stopwatch

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.