Leaning towards the GC setup...still questions though
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Leaning towards the GC setup...still questions though in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hi, I mentioned in another thread I was thinking about the GC setup over the Eibachs. I have read that ...
    Matth3w is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Leaning towards the GC setup...still questions though

Hi, I mentioned in another thread I was thinking about the GC setup over the Eibachs. I have read that there is a clunk but that it has been fixed by "feffman" or something. I searched for feffman and ground control and I got a TON of threads of people recommending this fix but I wasn't able to find the original thread. It seems like this is well known so I must just be late to the boat here. I have FE4 struts if that makes a difference.

Also, GC's website doesn't say what the range is on the coilovers...I have seen people say 1" in the front and 3/4" in the rear, but never what the max/min is.

How difficult is the install? Like Geico caveman easy or what? I've lowered every car I've ever owned but never had to worry about clunk or worry about some sort of factory shock interfering with ride height. I usually like to watch people do something the first time or have at least someone nearby that has done it on the same car just in case I start to mess things up (I am super anal) so if anyone is in Tucson or nearby areas I'll gladly pay you and provide food/beer for your time.

Lastly, I've never owned coilovers. I had springs on my imports and my Z06 of course just lowers with factory bolts. I understand from another thread I found that you just pull off the wheels and adjust with a spanner wrench. How otherwise difficult is it? Like are there notches or whatnot so that you know "Ok I will turn this one 2 notches as well" or do you just have to eyeball it and hope you get it the same?

Oh I just remembered another question...I don't see on their site where you specify spring rates, but I see a lot of people that were in the group buy thread etc asking for 500/550. Do I need to call them directly for that or is that what their Street Performance setup is?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Leaning towards the GC setup...still questions though

Ignore the last question, it has been answered in another thread. Sorry for the trouble. And thanks so much so far for all the great help! What a great group of guys (gals?)!

PISNUOFF Guest

Difficulty is about a 5 out of 10. You can drop the front as low as you want but the rear will only let you go about 3/4 to 1" with the FE4's without any modification (other that the clunk fix). Any more than that in the front will end up rubbing so the rear only going down that far is no big deal. There are no notches or clicks. Once you get the height even on both sides you just turn the adjusting nut equal amounts on each side.

So you just use a tape measure to get it adjusted equally or whatever? How do you get it to 1"? Just crank it all the way?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

^^^ Yeah, what Brian said. ^^^

Also, to get it even to begin with, you can get a ruler/scale/tape measure/whatever and measure the distance of the spanner nut from the edge of the threads using the spanner wrench to achieve the same side-to-side measurement. Once you see it, you'll go .

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Did you find everything? Cuz there's a link to the Feffman fix in one of my threads.
    You can call them and ask for any spring combo you want. But I've heard you should stay with 500/550 with the FE4s.
    Also the spacer, for the rear shocks comes with the GC kit.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Matth3w View Post
    So you just use a tape measure to get it adjusted equally or whatever? How do you get it to 1"? Just crank it all the way?
    I got it as close as I could, then drove around for a bit to let the suspension settle. Then measured from the fender to the ground.
    The fronts can be done by turning the wheel all the way. Its not easy, but I prefer that over removing the wheel. The rears, I back the car onto ramps, and adjust from under the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Did you find everything? Cuz there's a link to the Feffman fix in one of my threads.
    You can call them and ask for any spring combo you want. But I've heard you should stay with 500/550 with the FE4s.
    Also the spacer, for the rear shocks comes with the GC kit.

Tony
    No I still don't know what the Feffman fix is or where to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    I got it as close as I could, then drove around for a bit to let the suspension settle. Then measured from the fender to the ground.
    The fronts can be done by turning the wheel all the way. Its not easy, but I prefer that over removing the wheel. The rears, I back the car onto ramps, and adjust from under the car.
    So what were the before and after measurements of the fender to the ground? I'm assuming you are measuring from the highest part of the wheel well to the ground? Like at the top of the arch?

Feffman fix: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...d-control.html

Measured from the top of the arch. Cant remember the numbers though.

SoJersey05V is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

i havent done the fronts on my car yet... but the rear was easy once you know what you are dpoing... the right side took an hour and a half (what size sockets, taking trunk apart, and just learning what to do), the left side took 25 mins no bull shit! not to mention i broke a shock mount stud on the right side and had to drill that bitch out! lol

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SoJersey05V View Post
    i havent done the fronts on my car yet... but the rear was easy once you know what you are dpoing... the right side took an hour and a half (what size sockets, taking trunk apart, and just learning what to do), the left side took 25 mins no bull shit! not to mention i broke a shock mount stud on the right side and had to drill that bitch out! lol
    I am confused. In another thread you report that your QA1 and 600/650 springs result in a ride that is "superb." Is that based on just having the rears done but not the fronts? Also, how much shorter are the QA1s than the stock shocks?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.