The journey to achieve decent Navigation and quality audio in my V.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, The journey to achieve decent Navigation and quality audio in my V. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    richdash is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

The journey to achieve decent Navigation and quality audio in my V.

Well, I figured I should provide the info I said I would in a previous post. I ranted about the stock navigation unit sucking and hating it so badly. I decided to pick up the Stock head unit out of a base CTS that has an external DIC (driver information center). Everything I have read so far says that when base CTS’s add a navigation unit to their car they get use of the DIC without any major issues so I figured I would test the compatibility going there way as well. For the disassembly I will follow the write up that was done in the FAQ. Without reading that for hours on end I would not have attempted this. I thank the person who wrote it. In this thread I will keep everyone updated on the progress of my build and detailed info on the system. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

Equipment:

Head unit:
    Kenwood DNX8120 + HD Radio

Front & Rear Stage:
    Morel Tempo 6 Comps

Speaker Amp:
    Kicker ZX850.4 175watts x4 @4 ohms

Subwoofer:
    15” Stereo Integrity Mag v3

Box:
    Self designed and built 3.7 Cubes Before displacement Slot port Tuned to 30.09 Hz (may change)

Sub Amp:
    Elemental Designs Nine.1

Sound deadener:
    Fat mat (yeah I have used this stuff for 10 years if you don’t like my choice then waste your own money for me on another brand.)

Electrical:
    Knu stuff, Ill update when I dig it all out of my garage and as the thread goes on. I will also demonstrate why I chose what I did.

Objective:
    To eliminate the lame stock navigation and sound system and retain most of my DIC controls and features. Maintain as stock of an appearance as I can and an above average sound system that has decent output and quality to match.

Progress:

I am waiting on the Comps in the mail they should be there tomorrow and my Head unit as well. That should be here this week some time.

I have an appointment on Thursday morning to get the base head unit de theft locked at a local dealer. I have hooked it up and the display shows fine so far its just theft locked so I am un able to test the features of the DIC yet. I was able to go into sport mode and turn my traction and stab completely off as well so I am confident that wont be an issue although there wont be a visual notation of that as of right now any longer.

I am designing my box right now and before I start making the cuts on my wood I want to be sure about my design. I am currently questioning myself with port area as it will be a bit low for the space of the box. I am seriously considering a re design to adjust. I will have this figured out in the next couple days. I will be cutting my wood this week. I am using ¾” Birch ply to save weight over mdf. I have been using birch for many years now. It can be a pain to cut but I enjoy the weight savings. The box will be covered in carpet to match the stock stuff.

I will take lots of pics along the way and plan on this not being complete till about august. I am in no rush to get everything done. Sorry I just don’t have tons of spare time right now. I will do my best to keep this thread updated on a regular basis with any new progress.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: The journey to achieve decent Navigation and quality audio in my V.

Here are some teaser pics of equipment. More to come soon.

Mag:

Nine.1

ZX850.4

BacDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

The Mayflower had better navigation than this car. And the XM quality brings about the richness of the stereo my old Metro had, really. I'll be following this, good luck and God Speed.

SoJersey05V is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

you know what has great audio?.... KOOKS and CORSA!!!!!!!!!!! fck all that boom-boom!

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    The Mayflower had better navigation than this car. And the XM quality brings about the richness of the stereo my old Metro had, really. I'll be following this, good luck and God Speed.
    Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    lol I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by SoJersey05V View Post
    you know what has great audio?.... KOOKS and CORSA!!!!!!!!!!! fck all that boom-boom!
    I should mention this, for anyone that isnt aware or really into audio. The sub woofer chosen is one of the most well respected sound quality subs out there. It has the potential for great output as well but is first a foremost a SQ speaker hence the low tuned box and the comps that have such a great range of play. That being said i love the boom boom.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Will you be able to access (turn on/off) T/C and Stabilitrak with that DIC?

CadiBlk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Silver '05 V

Quote Originally Posted by richdash View Post

I have an appointment on Thursday morning to get the base head unit de theft locked at a local dealer. I have hooked it up and the display shows fine so far its just theft locked so I am un able to test the features of the DIC yet. I was able to go into sport mode and turn my traction and stab completely off as well so I am confident that wont be an issue although there wont be a visual notation of that as of right now any longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Will you be able to access (turn on/off) T/C and Stabilitrak with that DIC?
    Reading fail.

j/k lolly. Reads like he was able.

Yes, I was able to access those features just fine. I have no clue if there is any visual notification on the new DIC I will find out tomorrow when I get it un locked.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CadiBlk View Post
    Reading fail.

j/k lolly. Reads like he was able.
    Sorry....me likey to skim

stinkpalm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by SoJersey05V View Post
    Werd up! Well I still like the tight SQ boom-boom since Im a obsessive audiophile whom always, always, always put systems in my cars. Funny thing is I could honestly care less about a system in the V, b/c I never tire of the beautiful sounds of my B&B catback! When I get bored of that sound, I will add the headers

Your car is going to sound awesome! Nice choice in gear.

BacDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I like some boom boom too, it covers up the clunks and bangs.

ssmith100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I had the Morel Elate 6's in the front doors of my "V". I had purchased a set of the Morel Piccolos for the front pillars before my car was totaled. Never got to install them in the "V" but all my equipment is now in my Lexus coupe. Build thread for it is below to if your interested. I did basically the whole car (V) but contemplated doing what your talking about. The thread for my install is below. If your a member on the DIY mobile forum my build there has a ton more pics. Car is very easy to do.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-new-pics.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...v-install.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...d-stealth.html

Shane

Well, I got my Morel comps and the Kenwood Nav unit in today. Upon inspection of the Morels I immediately suspected them of being counterfeits. I won’t mention the retailer that I got them from because they have always been good to me but I will keep the thread updated.

I also built the box today. It came out pretty nice. I have carpet coming in the mail to cover it with all I had around the garage was left over black and it didn’t match at all. The carpet will probably get here mid next week and I will update with pics on that when it’s completed. I did do a test fit to see if I would be able to get the box in since it’s fairly large. I won’t be able to get it in how I wanted it so I will have to settle with it sitting sub and port facing up. If the sound quality isn’t there then I will rebuild and go sealed.

A couple pics below...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.