Cadillac Owners Forum banner
11K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  MVP 
#1 ·
I just started a new job which has me in the car for over an hour each way, and it's really getting annoying having my iPhone loose in the center console. I started researching what it would take to integrate it into the car and wanted to know what other's have done.

My thoughts were to have an integrated cradle which would charge the phone, provide audio out and also provide video out. I did a bit of searching, and found the below YouTube video of a guy who did exactly what I am thinking to his Acura TL.

From what I can see, ProClip item #s 853093 and 915246 will allow me to mount the iPhone, but I'm not sure where to get a cable which will provide A/V out and charging capabilities, and also how to splice into the audio and video of the factory unit.

For audio, I suppose I can tap into the XM as sugested here, but how can I tap into the video? It looks like the guy in the video below tapped into his GPS map video stream, and when the iPhone sends a video signal, it interrupts the GPS video and display's the phone's.

Anyone have any idea how to do this on our cars: Which cable to buy and which wires to splice?

Thanks,
Thomas.

See less See more
Reactions: dcope121
#4 ·
A bit more research and I found a writeup this guy put out: http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704403

It seems he used Apple's Composite AV Cable, a muli audio input device called a P.I.E. X-3, and a video input device he call's Doms NAV Convertor? I think this is a device one of their forum members (Dom) created and sells?

Looks like we wouldn't need the X-3 unit, as we can tap into the XM without it. I'll have to do more research later, as it time to make the looong drive in to the office!

Thomas.

Reactions: dcope121
#5 ·
I've been working on this myself. I finally found some slim line 30 pin iphone connectors in sweden and had them shipped over the pond.

So far, I've been able to make my own cable and have achieved reliable charging. I'm making some battery packs to carry with me on long flights and trips without convenient charging options. You have to use a couple of resistors between the positive and USB signal pins in order to turn on charging. This is why you can't use a standard USB charger for the iphone. The USB data channels have to turn on the internal charging system of the iphone. 4 x 1.2v rechargable batteries work perfectly for the 5 volts needed for charging. I would not recommend using 4 x 1.5 standard AA batteries without a regulator.

I've used a standard 5v regulator and tapped into the 12 accessory power to power my iphone - no cigarette lighter adapters hanging out anymore!!!

I'm still stumped on the audio out. I know which pins to use; however, the official apple accessories use some sort of microprocessor to validate the accessory as an approved apple device. Otherwise it puts the iphone into airplane mode. I searched around and found a picture of a cable someone had hacked open and there's 5 pounds of crap in a two pound connector. It would be nearly impossible to duplicate - translate into non-cost effective. It's classic apple......

In another attempt, I've purchase two generic A/V cables from ebay that claim to work with the newest iphone ROM's. They should be here this week or early next. If they work, I'll graft these into my existing work.

The only missing piece is the video connection?????????? Apparently there's a company that can open the nav and modify it for the european video input option for 600-800???? I have yet to see anyone with this mod completed.

If I make any notable headway, I'll post an update. No news = bad news.

#6 ·
hmm, so the apple cable I linked above won't work? I was thinking I could open up a cigarette adapter and solder 2wires to the leads and hard wire it to a 12v source. For audio, I planned to instal 2 female RCA adapters in the XM harness to provide an input. As for the video, I'm still not sure. I read somewhere on the forum the video signal is RGB, so maybe a box to convert a single RCA to RGB (3 connector) is needed?

#7 ·
The apple cable you linked above will work. I just refused to pay apple 50 bucks for an audio cable. I'm sorry, I didn't pay closer attention to your link. Even with this apple cable, you will have charging issues unless you are using an apple wall charger or a "made for iphone" car adapter to USB.

You can avoid it all together by making a small mod to one of the many car chagers you already own. You will have to modify the 5v power coming out of your 12v cig adapter. Here's a post from an iphone mod forum that I used for my adapter. Open the attached image in the post. It show what to do to the 5v output and how to connect it to your apple cable. If you don't want to chop up your apple cable, then use a female usb plug.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/717321-post11.html

Video is up in the air...... Like I said before, there's a company or two out there that can mod our Nav units, but I've yet to witness one.
European models have audio and video jacks under the arm rest. We can't run their head unit because the radio tunes with different offsets.

What I have not tested yet is how the iphone behaves when connected through the XM in this manner and a call is received. On a standard headset profile, music fades down and ringer fades up. The call is reproduced through the same means as the audio was played.

This would be great for a hands free call. I'm guessing the audio will come through okay, but I wonder about the gain of the iphone's internal mic. There are pins in the 30pin bottom connector for an external microphone. I'm just not sure how to make it "active".

#8 · (Edited)
The apple cable you linked above will work. I just refused to pay apple 50 bucks for an audio cable. I'm sorry, I didn't pay closer attention to your link. Even with this apple cable, you will have charging issues unless you are using an apple wall charger or a "made for iphone" car adapter to USB.
I have an iphone car to USB adapter I'm using now to keep it charged, and I just plan to solder 2 leads to it, hard wire it to 12v, and stick it behind the dash somewhere. The way I figure it, for $150 ($99 for the ProClip setup and $50 for the cable) I'll have a charging dock with audio & video output.

Now I just need to figure out how to interface the video output from the cable to the NAV screen. Does anyone have a pinout diagram for the NAV unit?

I wonder why no aftermarket companies have created interface units for the '04-'07 CTS NAVs? I did find one for an '08, but that's no help ....

Thomas.

#9 ·
Hey guys, here's the deal:

You CAN get video into the unit, designed specifically for backup cam, but you can send any video into it----well, I can. I need the nav unit. I am thinking about using mine as a core and modding it, then charging a core fee for an o.e.m. replacement. Since this is what I do for a living I can not disclose the modifications necessary to perform this, but we are at about a 10 day turn around right now on these projects. I normally sell this mod for $650, but I will pass it on to "family" members for $550 plus s&h. The first person to have this mod done on this forum I will take $50 off the price plus cover the return shipping, so you can unbiasedly review the interface and installation and function. I believe I am still too new on the forum to receive PMs, but you can feel free to email me directly @ robb@goautosoundnc.com.

We use a DICE dock for all iPod iPhone products, these are very sweet and slick looking if you prefer a dockable solution. They have a female iPod connection, so you can use it with all iPod interface cables, even the oem cables. If you are using an iPhone I would suggest the dock so you can see who is calling. Personally, I installed a USASpec iPod interface and a Sirius-direct tuner and I love it.

If you have an existing iPod adapter installed in your vehicle we offer an interface adaptor that has a female iPod end and a male end, which converts the firewire to usb charging, very clean and it simply plugs in.

We are a full service auto integration shop located in NC.

check out our BETA (under reconstruction) site at www.goautosoundnc.com to learn more about us and the products and services we provide.

I am in the process of tearing down my V for a full a/v integration system. This will be a fairly slow process because I am doing this for myself.

I know a lot of guys on the forum are trying to get video in, and we have your solution. I will always offer discounts on both products and services for my fellow CTS-V owners because I have learned a lot about the car from many different people, and appreciate the knowledge.

Glad to be of help,

Robb.

#10 ·
Awesome, V for Vendetta, thats great your offering a solution for video in, thx! Too bad the price is way to rich for me, but I understand the work involved warrants the price. If it ever gets down to $225-250 I'm in for sure. Its just at the mentioned price point, I would rather get a usb touchscreen and backup camera, etc for same price. Shoot Im sure Im headed that way anyhow since Im about to get a netbook :)

#12 ·
V for Vendetta - I'm weighing cost benefit options.......

If you are a full service A/V shop, then how can I upgrade the headunit in the V and still retain the factory communications for chimes and the messages that are normally displayed on the NAV?

I've seen the swaps that leave a 1/2 functioning standard CTS radio LCD - RE: Cadillac FAQ, but that still seems a little haugepauged to me.

I think if there's a way to keep the DIC information with an upgraded head unit - you will find a waiting list of people for the mod!!! I just don't know that 550 bucks will cut it for a novelty on a mediocre at best head unit. I'm all ears for any options / ideas?

What is your plan for a total rework of your V?

SORRY FOR THE HIJACK, but it's remotely related?

#13 ·
I agree, $500 is a bit steep for just wanting a video input. I think I'll continue my search for a DIY option here. I'm sure the display's video signal can be interrupted somewhere, it's just a matter of where and what format.

It seems sharing that type of information wouldn't really impact potential sales of your product, as the profile of a target customer willing to pay $500+ for something like this is usually the type who is not comfortable hacking their interior, soldering, moding, etc ... that's why they pay a premium for things like this.

Thomas.

#14 ·
Any more details of how the video input works?? does it completely take over the screen like most kits do...or would it act like it was an integral part of the nav...say for instance act like the euro tv option?? and is this a part that can be removed if the nav unit fails and has to be replaced under warranty? or is it an actual 'mod' to the circuitry?

#15 ·
Wow, I just learned more about the video system in our cars than I ever thought I would! This Thread has a LOT of details, and I hope they come to a resolution eventually.

I would just like to see a composite video input with a manual switch for iPhone input, but these guys are trying to do something much more complex than that.

Thomas.

#16 ·
Well, I received my ProClip dock today and thought I would give an update. The dock installed in about 3 minutes, very nice piece. I was worried it would interfere with reverse, but it doesn't. I ended up getting proclip part # 915255, which doesn't have a psas-through connector. It's the one which allows you to use your own cable. Right now, I'm using just a standard charge cable, but plan to get the Apple A/V cable sometime this week.

More to come later as I work through the integration.

Thomas.

#17 ·
I too am researching how to approach the CTS-V with an iPod integration. I installed a setup in my old car that I want to emulate, functionally, in the V. The DICE dock is very nice, but I modify the use a little, and mount it on a custom made mount. KUDA (www.kudausa.com) has some nice dock mountss that work well with the interior. The example in the CX-7 we have:

The pics on their site are actually of my car. I have since switched the iPod used for a video one to play movies out to the dual rear headrest monitors. I want to do something similar in the V, but also get the video to the front monitor. This setup worked well with the power adapter for the iPhone. Very easy to manage the kids movies.

#18 ·
the Kuda mount looks interesting. I ended up going with the proclip due to it's small footprint and also because I did not have to make any mounting holes. It just clip on to the bezel. Also, my wife's 06 SRX has the same bezel, so on long trips with the kids I can move it over very easily.

As for video to the front display, that's the real challenge here.

Thomas.

#19 ·
That Pro Clip looks nice! Looking forward to more of your review!!

#20 · (Edited)
I picked up the Kuda kit, no drilling necessary (no mounting holes). There is a simple squeeze clip for the screw on the lower side that has a piece of metal that mounts behind the stock trim. Mounts in about 10 minutes. I also picked up the USA Spec adapter (PA11-VETTE) and 5V cable (for iPod touch/phone). It is backwards compatible and works with older iPods, as well. Still researching the DVD integration part. The pics are with my iPhone in place playing a track (you can switch between full control and hybrid control with a push of a button). Full control has the "device attached" status and sends the song title and artist to the XM interface. The hybrid "direct" mode lets you control the ipod with the controls or the iPod and shows the tracks, etc. I also used a Dice dock. Simple clip in and out with no exposed cables.

The Pro Clip looks interesting, as well. But, since I had the DICE cradle already, I opted to use it for the new install.

Attachments

#21 ·
Thanks for the info Heavy, sounds like the USA Spec Adapter might solve the config issues I'm facing now.

I picked up an Apple A/V cable and am using it to get audio into the unit. I soldered wires to the NAV harness and installed female RCA connectors in the side of the glovebox. I also permanently installed a USB connection in the back of the glovebox and hooked it to the 12v power of the cig lighter. Then I ran the Apple cable between the center stack and into the glovebox to plug in to these connections. (I would post pics right now, but my Wife left our camera in Houston :()

This is working well, except for 2 annoyances:
  • When I play a video on the iPhone, it does not display. I assume this is because it expects the video out to be plugged into something.
  • All audio comes out of my speakers except phone calls?!

The 2nd one is the most annoying. Even the touch tone sounds come from the car speakers, but as soon as a connection is made, the audio switches over to the iPhone speakers.

Not sure how to fix these issues yet without spending an additional $200 on an integration kit. I'm wondering if I jailbreak the phone if there's some software I can use to change how the video and telephone audio function?

Thomas.

#22 ·
I have to try out all the phone functions, as well. I wonder if there is some type of setting to use external speakers in speakerphone mode. Have to play a little more. My biggest concern was the music but it would be nice for the audio on the phone portion to work with the stereo.

#23 ·
All of my Internet searches are ending with the conclusion the iPhone doesn't support call audio through the dock connector, but it seems Apple has a dock which does?

I wonder if the new iPhone firmware due to release soon will solve this issue?

Thomas.

#25 ·
I opted to get a rear mounted touchscreen DVD on an armrest mount that lets it flex forward for front seat manipulation. Paid and shipped so I still have to give it a full review. Looks to be a decent option. I wanted to get video out of the iPod touch/iPhone, but, I have not yet found a good cable that breaks out the video since it requires a decoder chip. I wish they had some sort of pass through with an RCA video out. And, to further quell the need for the front screen modification, the kids in the back could not view the front screen very well so this seemed like a solid alternative.

#26 · (Edited)
I did get the dock installation finished up, but still haven't found a way to get video into the NAV unit. The only "gotchya" on this was I had to grind down the apple cable connector's sides a bit to get it to fit into the ProClip dock. This is because the dock is made for a cable which has squeezable sides to release the cable from the phone, and the apple A/V cable doesn't have those. It took about 2.5 seconds to do it with a bench grinder ....

Here are a few pics of the completed setup. I used a sharpie to color the visible portion of the cable, and it doesn't look too bad; although the camera flash really makes it look strange?

In the glovebox is an iPhone 3g USB auto adapter permenantly installed to constant 12v, so I can charge even when the car is not running. On the left side I drilled 3 small holes and mounted female RCA connectors for audio/video, although the video is not hooked up due to reason stated above.

All in all, I am pleased with the setup. The 2 things still bugging me are the video input, and more importantly, call audio not routing through the dock connector. For now, I wear my bluetooth earpiece when driving, but I would really like an integrated solution. One idea I am considering is installing a bluetooth adapter in the glovebox and taping it into the RCA audio. This way, the call audio would route through the speakers and all other iPhone audio would be muted.

Oh, and Heavy, the apple cable does a great job of breaking out the video. The cable has a USB for charging, 2 RCA for r/l audio, and a 3rd RCA for video. I tested it on my entertainment center, and it works perfectly. If you're just looking for a cable to give you RCA video, this one does it very well.

Thomas.

#27 ·
I did get the dock installation finished up, but still haven't found a way to get video into the NAV unit. The only "gotchya" on this was I had to grind down the apple cable connector's sides a bit to get it to fit into the ProClip dock. This is because the dock is made for a cable which has squeezable sides to release the cable from the phone, and the apple A/V cable doesn't have those. It took about 2.5 seconds to do it with a bench grinder ....

Here are a few pics of the completed setup. I used a sharpie to color the visible portion of the cable, and it doesn't look too bad; although the camera flash really makes it look strange?

In the glovebox is an iPhone 3g USB auto adapter permenantly installed to constant 12v, so I can charge even when the car is not running. On the left side I drilled 3 small holes and mounted female RCA connectors for audio/video, although the video is not hooked up due to reason stated above.

All in all, I am pleased with the setup. The 2 things still bugging me are the video input, and more importantly, call audio not routing through the dock connector. For now, I wear my bluetooth earpiece when driving, but I would really like an integrated solution. One idea I am considering is installing a bluetooth adapter in the glovebox and taping it into the RCA audio. This way, the call audio would route through the speakers and all other iPhone audio would be muted.

Oh, and Heavy, the apple cable does a great job of breaking out the video. The cable has a USB for charging, 2 RCA for r/l audio, and a 3rd RCA for video. I tested it on my entertainment center, and it works perfectly. If you're just looking for a cable to give you RCA video, this one does it very well.

Thomas.
There are two ProClip options for the cradle. The one you purchased with the cable mount option (built on the standard Kensington cable) and one with a pass-through so that you plug your cable into the bottom of the cradle instead of the iPod itself. Then, no adjustments to any cable are necessary.

I do have the AV cable with the standard output, but, I want to still keep the standard dock cable and have the video broken out. The Dice dock has a video output break out as described but without the decoder chip. It worked great with my Video Ipod in the Mazda.

The iPhone speakerphone thing is interesting. If you had a blue tooth module with FM, you would get music over the speakers AND you would get inbound phone calls over the speaker, as well. Supposedly, if you plug in the AV cable at the top of the phone, the speakerphone output is sent out that way since you could be using earphones. I think I will pick up a bluetooth speakerphone with mic that mounts on the visor. The BlueAnt Supertooth 3 looks interesting and well reviewed. It would allow you to listen to music and then when a call comes in, turn down the music and announces who is calling. All you say is "OK" to answer the phone. Pretty slick.

Attachments

#30 ·
Ahh, I think I see where you're going with this.

With the new iPhone 3.0 OS, we have stereo bluetooth transmission now, so if I'm not doing video I should be able to get rid of the cable all together and stick a bluetooth module (with stereo output) in the glovebox hooked up to the inputs. This should work well as long as I can figure out a mic solution.

Definitely worth a try ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.