iPhone Integration - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, iPhone Integration in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Yes, spot on. I am hunting around at the bluetooth options to see if there is one with a remote ...
    HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, White 08 SRX

Re: iPhone Integration

Yes, spot on. I am hunting around at the bluetooth options to see if there is one with a remote microphone and stereo output (not FM). Then, it could interface with the RCA inputs and I could locate the mic somewhere on the dash, likely at the top somewhere in the guages. Then, you have stereo interface for music and speakerphone as well as a more private location for the microphone. The announcements and voice activation should still work.

Now, the DVD NAV screen is a whole other animal to tackle.

I have two items that I have on the way and will evaluate.

1) The Blueant Supertooth 3 module. This is a bluetooth speakerphone extension for the iPhone with voice activation and call announcement. It clips onto your visor or can mount elsewhere.

2) The Blackberry bluetooth stereo gateway. This is a small device that connects to your stereo or adapter and allows you to stream audio from a A2DP compliant source (iPhone). It is also USB powered so you can easily find a power adapter for the car. With this, you can listen to music AND use your car speakers to listen to calls. The trick will be to position the iPhone built in microphone in a position that picks up your voice properly in the car.

So, I will report back on the working of both. I like Option 2 since it is basically invisible within the car. In Stoopalini's case, it could mount in or behind the glove box and all the iPhone would now neeed is in car charging. Additionally, those with iPod Touches could update to the new firmware that turns on the bluetooth capability. Could be very slick .

Dave

I got home tonight and the DVD I ordered had arrived so I decided to install it. Pretty straightforward. The CTS lends itself well to the install due to the armrest hinge. I simply mounted the DVD bracket to this source. I could have got the touchscreen version, but, the DVD buttons were silver and the design looked very cheap. This one matched a little better with the V interior decor and had a more solid feel. My kids love it. First picture is the DVD in viewing mode and the second is folded down in storage mode. The screen can flip up and down as well, so that you can position it any convenient way. It is pretty slick and the screen is nice and sharp.

It is a standard fare with the FM and IR output.I have a couple of IR headphones for the kids so I can drive in peace or I can play it over the radio. I like that I can pull it forward get the DVD loaded and running and then push it back to view position. Kind of handy but not as handy as using the iPhone to push the video. That is the next step. The video input cable is already run to the front by the iPhone ready to accept the video out signal. That is the next step.
    Attached Images

Trouble81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cts-80 coupe deville

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyH20 View Post
    I got home tonight and the DVD I ordered had arrived so I decided to install it. Pretty straightforward. The CTS lends itself well to the install due to the armrest hinge. I simply mounted the DVD bracket to this source. I could have got the touchscreen version, but, the DVD buttons were silver and the design looked very cheap. This one matched a little better with the V interior decor and had a more solid feel. My kids love it. First picture is the DVD in viewing mode and the second is folded down in storage mode. The screen can flip up and down as well, so that you can position it any convenient way. It is pretty slick and the screen is nice and sharp.

It is a standard fare with the FM and IR output.I have a couple of IR headphones for the kids so I can drive in peace or I can play it over the radio. I like that I can pull it forward get the DVD loaded and running and then push it back to view position. Kind of handy but not as handy as using the iPhone to push the video. That is the next step. The video input cable is already run to the front by the iPhone ready to accept the video out signal. That is the next step.
    damn man thats sick can i get some more info on what u used to do this thanks

sickspd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

anyone ever heard anything about a gn lockpick? Someone told me about this but haven't had time to research it...

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble81 View Post
    damn man thats sick can i get some more info on what u used to do this thanks
    I found some wholesale places to order overseas, but, I found someone with good eBay feedback selling them from China. This is the one I used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-7-LCD-Car-Ce...3A1%7C294%3A50

To my front door for $190. And, now that I have had it in place for a bit, the DVD mechanism is solid, does not skip and has no problems ready dual layers at all (Disney ones are usually the best test).

There are two endcaps on the armrest that pop off. Use these to mount the DVD arms. You can use mounting tape, but, it may or may not hold solidly enough. I drilled two small holes in each and mounted the bracket. Easily fixed if I decided not to use the DVD player. Second, since the seats are so close to armrest, even the few extra millimeters of thickness on the end caps may cause some rubbing with the seats. Heck, even the armrests run a bit when the seat is back. Just use a little bit of velcro stripping, softside, to shield any rubbing by mounting it on the leading edge that may come in contact with the seat. The cable just routes through the center console to the front where I tapped in to the cigarette ligher power. Very simple install. It took just under an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by sickspd View Post
    anyone ever heard anything about a gn lockpick? Someone told me about this but haven't had time to research it...
    I looked into that, as well. The DVD Nav we have is not one of the two models supported.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyH20
    2) The Blackberry bluetooth stereo gateway. This is a small device that connects to your stereo or adapter and allows you to stream audio from a A2DP compliant source (iPhone). It is also USB powered so you can easily find a power adapter for the car. With this, you can listen to music AND use your car speakers to listen to calls. The trick will be to position the iPhone built in microphone in a position that picks up your voice properly in the car.
    Well, the stereo gateway did not work as expected. It can stream audio nicely and the rings are now over the speaker but as soon as I pick up the call, it uses the iPhone speaker. Yuck. It needs to register as a headset, as far as I can tell, to send the speaker output to an external source. Sony has one that is a handsfree kit and has the mini-stereo output. Might have to try that one.

Trouble81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 cts-80 coupe deville

thanks for the info heavy really nice mods

JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

Heavy - Very nice!!

Thanks, it's a work in progress

More to come.

vze4yrte is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Ctsv

Wait im actualy very interested in this iphone plugged with the car how much can i get this for or can someone find me a deal on eBay

silver02stang is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): LS6 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopalini View Post
    I did get the dock installation finished up, but still haven't found a way to get video into the NAV unit. The only "gotchya" on this was I had to grind down the apple cable connector's sides a bit to get it to fit into the ProClip dock. This is because the dock is made for a cable which has squeezable sides to release the cable from the phone, and the apple A/V cable doesn't have those. It took about 2.5 seconds to do it with a bench grinder ....

Here are a few pics of the completed setup. I used a sharpie to color the visible portion of the cable, and it doesn't look too bad; although the camera flash really makes it look strange?

In the glovebox is an iPhone 3g USB auto adapter permenantly installed to constant 12v, so I can charge even when the car is not running. On the left side I drilled 3 small holes and mounted female RCA connectors for audio/video, although the video is not hooked up due to reason stated above.

All in all, I am pleased with the setup. The 2 things still bugging me are the video input, and more importantly, call audio not routing through the dock connector. For now, I wear my bluetooth earpiece when driving, but I would really like an integrated solution. One idea I am considering is installing a bluetooth adapter in the glovebox and taping it into the RCA audio. This way, the call audio would route through the speakers and all other iPhone audio would be muted.

Oh, and Heavy, the apple cable does a great job of breaking out the video. The cable has a USB for charging, 2 RCA for r/l audio, and a 3rd RCA for video. I tested it on my entertainment center, and it works perfectly. If you're just looking for a cable to give you RCA video, this one does it very well.

Thomas.
    why does the holder look like it has velvet on it?

It is textured plastic. It is not that rough looking in person, however. The flash makes it a little harsh.

Stoopalini is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 V6 RWD SRX | 2005 Red CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyH20 View Post
    It is textured plastic. It is not that rough looking in person, however. The flash makes it a little harsh.
    Actually, it looks that way because it does have some sort of velvet material on it. It's not textured plastic, but some kind of cloth. It makes it very easy to slide the phone in and out of the dock.

Really? Did you add that yourself? Is it a dust magnet?

Stoopalini is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 V6 RWD SRX | 2005 Red CTS-V

No, I didn't add the cloth, it came like that from ProClip. Surprisingly, it's not a dust magnet at all. Kind of feels like the seat inserts a bit.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.