iPhone Integration - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, iPhone Integration in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well, I received my ProClip dock today and thought I would give an update. The dock installed in about 3 ...
    Stoopalini is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 V6 RWD SRX | 2005 Red CTS-V

Re: iPhone Integration

Well, I received my ProClip dock today and thought I would give an update. The dock installed in about 3 minutes, very nice piece. I was worried it would interfere with reverse, but it doesn't. I ended up getting proclip part # 915255, which doesn't have a psas-through connector. It's the one which allows you to use your own cable. Right now, I'm using just a standard charge cable, but plan to get the Apple A/V cable sometime this week.

[YOUTUBE]76ktYRTI6gE[/YOUTUBE]

More to come later as I work through the integration.

Thomas.

HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, Silver 06 STS-V, White 08 SRX

I too am researching how to approach the CTS-V with an iPod integration. I installed a setup in my old car that I want to emulate, functionally, in the V. The DICE dock is very nice, but I modify the use a little, and mount it on a custom made mount. KUDA (www.kudausa.com) has some nice dock mountss that work well with the interior. The example in the CX-7 we have:

The pics on their site are actually of my car. I have since switched the iPod used for a video one to play movies out to the dual rear headrest monitors. I want to do something similar in the V, but also get the video to the front monitor. This setup worked well with the power adapter for the iPhone. Very easy to manage the kids movies.

the Kuda mount looks interesting. I ended up going with the proclip due to it's small footprint and also because I did not have to make any mounting holes. It just clip on to the bezel. Also, my wife's 06 SRX has the same bezel, so on long trips with the kids I can move it over very easily.

As for video to the front display, that's the real challenge here.

Thomas.

JD03Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

That Pro Clip looks nice! Looking forward to more of your review!!

I picked up the Kuda kit, no drilling necessary (no mounting holes). There is a simple squeeze clip for the screw on the lower side that has a piece of metal that mounts behind the stock trim. Mounts in about 10 minutes. I also picked up the USA Spec adapter (PA11-VETTE) and 5V cable (for iPod touch/phone). It is backwards compatible and works with older iPods, as well. Still researching the DVD integration part. The pics are with my iPhone in place playing a track (you can switch between full control and hybrid control with a push of a button). Full control has the "device attached" status and sends the song title and artist to the XM interface. The hybrid "direct" mode lets you control the ipod with the controls or the iPod and shows the tracks, etc. I also used a Dice dock. Simple clip in and out with no exposed cables.

The Pro Clip looks interesting, as well. But, since I had the DICE cradle already, I opted to use it for the new install.
    Attached Images

Thanks for the info Heavy, sounds like the USA Spec Adapter might solve the config issues I'm facing now.

I picked up an Apple A/V cable and am using it to get audio into the unit. I soldered wires to the NAV harness and installed female RCA connectors in the side of the glovebox. I also permanently installed a USB connection in the back of the glovebox and hooked it to the 12v power of the cig lighter. Then I ran the Apple cable between the center stack and into the glovebox to plug in to these connections. (I would post pics right now, but my Wife left our camera in Houston )

This is working well, except for 2 annoyances:
    • When I play a video on the iPhone, it does not display. I assume this is because it expects the video out to be plugged into something.
    • All audio comes out of my speakers except phone calls?!

The 2nd one is the most annoying. Even the touch tone sounds come from the car speakers, but as soon as a connection is made, the audio switches over to the iPhone speakers.

Not sure how to fix these issues yet without spending an additional $200 on an integration kit. I'm wondering if I jailbreak the phone if there's some software I can use to change how the video and telephone audio function?

Thomas.

I have to try out all the phone functions, as well. I wonder if there is some type of setting to use external speakers in speakerphone mode. Have to play a little more. My biggest concern was the music but it would be nice for the audio on the phone portion to work with the stereo.

All of my Internet searches are ending with the conclusion the iPhone doesn't support call audio through the dock connector, but it seems Apple has a dock which does?

I wonder if the new iPhone firmware due to release soon will solve this issue?

Thomas.

Crewgr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 cts-v

Any progress? I would like to see a video of V for Vendette's head unit alteration as well.

I opted to get a rear mounted touchscreen DVD on an armrest mount that lets it flex forward for front seat manipulation. Paid and shipped so I still have to give it a full review. Looks to be a decent option. I wanted to get video out of the iPod touch/iPhone, but, I have not yet found a good cable that breaks out the video since it requires a decoder chip. I wish they had some sort of pass through with an RCA video out. And, to further quell the need for the front screen modification, the kids in the back could not view the front screen very well so this seemed like a solid alternative.

I did get the dock installation finished up, but still haven't found a way to get video into the NAV unit. The only "gotchya" on this was I had to grind down the apple cable connector's sides a bit to get it to fit into the ProClip dock. This is because the dock is made for a cable which has squeezable sides to release the cable from the phone, and the apple A/V cable doesn't have those. It took about 2.5 seconds to do it with a bench grinder ....

Here are a few pics of the completed setup. I used a sharpie to color the visible portion of the cable, and it doesn't look too bad; although the camera flash really makes it look strange?

In the glovebox is an iPhone 3g USB auto adapter permenantly installed to constant 12v, so I can charge even when the car is not running. On the left side I drilled 3 small holes and mounted female RCA connectors for audio/video, although the video is not hooked up due to reason stated above.

All in all, I am pleased with the setup. The 2 things still bugging me are the video input, and more importantly, call audio not routing through the dock connector. For now, I wear my bluetooth earpiece when driving, but I would really like an integrated solution. One idea I am considering is installing a bluetooth adapter in the glovebox and taping it into the RCA audio. This way, the call audio would route through the speakers and all other iPhone audio would be muted.

Oh, and Heavy, the apple cable does a great job of breaking out the video. The cable has a USB for charging, 2 RCA for r/l audio, and a 3rd RCA for video. I tested it on my entertainment center, and it works perfectly. If you're just looking for a cable to give you RCA video, this one does it very well.

Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopalini View Post
    I did get the dock installation finished up, but still haven't found a way to get video into the NAV unit. The only "gotchya" on this was I had to grind down the apple cable connector's sides a bit to get it to fit into the ProClip dock. This is because the dock is made for a cable which has squeezable sides to release the cable from the phone, and the apple A/V cable doesn't have those. It took about 2.5 seconds to do it with a bench grinder ....

Here are a few pics of the completed setup. I used a sharpie to color the visible portion of the cable, and it doesn't look too bad; although the camera flash really makes it look strange?

In the glovebox is an iPhone 3g USB auto adapter permenantly installed to constant 12v, so I can charge even when the car is not running. On the left side I drilled 3 small holes and mounted female RCA connectors for audio/video, although the video is not hooked up due to reason stated above.

All in all, I am pleased with the setup. The 2 things still bugging me are the video input, and more importantly, call audio not routing through the dock connector. For now, I wear my bluetooth earpiece when driving, but I would really like an integrated solution. One idea I am considering is installing a bluetooth adapter in the glovebox and taping it into the RCA audio. This way, the call audio would route through the speakers and all other iPhone audio would be muted.

Oh, and Heavy, the apple cable does a great job of breaking out the video. The cable has a USB for charging, 2 RCA for r/l audio, and a 3rd RCA for video. I tested it on my entertainment center, and it works perfectly. If you're just looking for a cable to give you RCA video, this one does it very well.

Thomas.
    There are two ProClip options for the cradle. The one you purchased with the cable mount option (built on the standard Kensington cable) and one with a pass-through so that you plug your cable into the bottom of the cradle instead of the iPod itself. Then, no adjustments to any cable are necessary.

I do have the AV cable with the standard output, but, I want to still keep the standard dock cable and have the video broken out. The Dice dock has a video output break out as described but without the decoder chip. It worked great with my Video Ipod in the Mazda.

The iPhone speakerphone thing is interesting. If you had a blue tooth module with FM, you would get music over the speakers AND you would get inbound phone calls over the speaker, as well. Supposedly, if you plug in the AV cable at the top of the phone, the speakerphone output is sent out that way since you could be using earphones. I think I will pick up a bluetooth speakerphone with mic that mounts on the visor. The BlueAnt Supertooth 3 looks interesting and well reviewed. It would allow you to listen to music and then when a call comes in, turn down the music and announces who is calling. All you say is "OK" to answer the phone. Pretty slick.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyH20 View Post
    There are two ProClip options for the cradle. The one you purchased with the cable mount option (built on the standard Kensington cable) and one with a pass-through so that you plug your cable into the bottom of the cradle instead of the iPod itself. Then, no adjustments to any cable are necessary.
    Ya, I considered both of these and decided on the cable mount because I didn't want the passthrough and cable connector end sticking down from the cradle. Maybe I'm a bit picky, but I think the cable mount option looks cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyH20
    The iPhone speakerphone thing is interesting. If you had a blue tooth module with FM, you would get music over the speakers AND you would get inbound phone calls over the speaker, as well.
    This is true, but I have a hardwire connection to the head unit now, so I was just planning to get a bluetooth unit which has audio out and Y it into the inputs I installed in the glovebox. The trick I suppose is figuring out if I can tap into the onstar mic or continue to use the iPhone's built in mic.

Supposedly, if you plug in the AV cable at the top of the phone, the speakerphone output is sent out that way since you could be using earphones.
    This is true, and is what I do from time to time when I'm driving with the windows down. It's just a pain messing with the wires.

I think I will pick up a bluetooth speakerphone with mic that mounts on the visor. The BlueAnt Supertooth 3 looks interesting and well reviewed. It would allow you to listen to music and then when a call comes in, turn down the music and announces who is calling. All you say is "OK" to answer the phone. Pretty slick.
    That looks pretty cool! Let me know how it works for you.

Thomas.

I like how you have the cables in the glove box. It looks pretty slick. I wonder if there is a bluetooth module that would has a stereo output. That might be a good approach, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoopalini View Post
    Ya, I considered both of these and decided on the cable mount because I didn't want the passthrough and cable connector end sticking down from the cradle. Maybe I'm a bit picky, but I think the cable mount option looks cleaner.
    Yes, the cable is cleaner but if you had one of the really big cables that come with the iPod interface kits, like the USSpec one, it would never squeeze in there. But, since you were using the AV cable, it only took a little bit of manipulation to get it through. Just thought I would mention the option. The pass through is similar to the Dice, but the Dice has it at a 90 degree to the dock connector so it is easy to hide the cables.

Ahh, I think I see where you're going with this.

With the new iPhone 3.0 OS, we have stereo bluetooth transmission now, so if I'm not doing video I should be able to get rid of the cable all together and stick a bluetooth module (with stereo output) in the glovebox hooked up to the inputs. This should work well as long as I can figure out a mic solution.

Definitely worth a try ....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.