Homemade Jack Pucks
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Homemade Jack Pucks in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Guys - I'm giving away my last set of these tomorrow, so I took a few pictures before they go. ...
    V8V
    V8V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Homemade Jack Pucks

Guys - I'm giving away my last set of these tomorrow, so I took a few pictures before they go. They're very easy to make yourself.

Parts: (4) hockey pucks (any Michigan sporting goods store - you SoCal guys are out of luck), (4) 3" long, 1/4"-20 thread, 2" wide head spring loaded toggle bolts (Lowes), 4 3/4"washers, 4 lock washers.

Tools - 3/4" spade bit, 1/4" standard bit, drill press or hand drill, tape, screw driver or ratchet - see below.

Drill the pocket to about half the depth of the puck. (mark bit with tape to make them all the same) Do this outside unless you want the house to smell like burnouts. Finish the holes with the 1/4" bit. Thread bolts in. I smashed the tip of the threads on all 4 with a hammer to keep them from accidentally spinning off if I ever wanted to remove them.

Feed the spring head into the oval holes in the support rails at the jacking points. Pull down as you tighten. I've had mine on the car for about a year now, and they're really nice for rotations and snow tire swaps. There's only about 5 1/2" of room to the ground on the fronts, and 7" or so on the rear. Check your jack clearance before you get too far.

They will work on most GM cars, but I tried a set on my 02 Z28, and I didn't have enough clearance for the jack. The hole picture shown is on the wife's STS. The front pair sticks down far enough to see from across an empty parking lot if you look close, but it doesn't bother me. It may be an issue for some of you.

Possible improvements would be to use hex bolts instead of the Phillips heads shown. It takes a stubby screwdriver as is. If you want to someday take them off, stainless hardware wouldn't hurt, or at least you should grease the threads before you put them on.

V8V
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Homemade Jack Pucks

This is great! I lost one of the ones I got from a B(cough)M(gag)W catalog, and this looks really easy AND cheaper.

Way to go!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Very nice! I'm bookmarking this one. Thanks Man!

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

This is cheap insurance to guaranteeing your jack will not slip off the rubber. I am using the expensive ones that were $35 almost 2 years ago.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ork-great.html

Norm

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

Good writeup. Might have to do this soon. It's good to have cheap mods to do to keep you from thinking about the expensive stuff for a little while.

PrelateBishop is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Posting the pics for my viewing needs:

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Another, somewhat similar idea is to take a hockey puck and cut a long slot across it that allows it to seat up against the pinch weld. With the slotted style it wouldn't be installed on the car - you just put it on the seat of the floor jack so the flat seat of the jack doesn't crush the pinch weld.

I've been meaning to do a set for a while, as I jack my car at the pinch weld (where the scissor jack is used to jack it). The seat of my small floor jack fits the pinch weld pretty well, but it's still gotten a bit bent out of shape after being jacked up that way a bazillion times.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.