Tire Choices for STOCK sizes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Tire Choices for STOCK sizes in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; At 8k I'm approx. 70% worn on my stock OEM tires. I'm (publicly) considering all of my alternate options (run ...
    benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Tire Choices for STOCK sizes

At 8k I'm approx. 70% worn on my stock OEM tires. I'm (publicly) considering all of my alternate options (run flat not as big a deal to me). Here is the current list (with prices from TireRack and do not include tax, shipping, mounting/balancing, etc.) all are 245-45R18 (generally W, Y or Z rated). Prices are EACH tire as of the time of this posting.

I'm open to thoughts on any experiences with any of these tires on any other (prefer similiar) vehicles. Anyone have any comments, preferences, compaints with any of the listed tires. Why would you pick one over the other? Noise, ride comfort, grip, longevity, etc. What experiences do you have or know of. If you know of any other options (nitto?) please also post those options.

Goodyear (STOCK) Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT (run flat) - $328

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 - $201
    Bridgestone Potenza RE050 XL - $203
    Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (run flat) - $263
    Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - $224
    Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - $201
    Continental ContiSportContact 2 - $218
    Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $208
    Michelin Pilot Sport - $246
    Michelin Pilot Sport XL - $268
    Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $247
    Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico - $215
    Pirelli PZero System Direzionale - $216
    Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168

There are a few other back ordered ones that aren't as big name.

Thoughts?

-Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Tire Choices for STOCK sizes

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    Ben -

I have heard many a good thing about this tire and will consider it seriously when it is time for me to replace my runflats. The people that have talked this tire up to me are S4/A4, VWR32, and Sti/WRX drivers...apparently it really sticks and survives well (these are autoX type folks).

That's about all I know at the moment...

Raven05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: Tire Choices for STOCK sizes

Maybe a dumb ? but, will the tire pressure monitors work with non-runflat tires?

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

The tire pressure monitor is part of the wheel, not the tire. The sensors will work fine with non-run-flats.

Slick V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

ive heard good things about the dunlop tires, due to long life and good grip

Wienk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Question Re: Tire Choices for STOCK sizes

I am nowhere near (I hope) the life of my new tires on my '05 V, but I need to consider the probability of some snow in the Chicago area next Winter, and I don't relish another set of wheel/tires hanging in my garage, like I now have for my BMW M Roadster, but I must admit, the roadster has NEVER been "grounded" by winter weather, so maybe extra tire/wheels is a necessity of having to live in this God-forsaken-climate! (I used to live in Southern California, but now I don't have to face that terrible traffic, so every place has its +'s and -'s)

:rolleyes2 I realize that nobody yet has any experience with much winter driving of their V's, but I am thinking that I might replace my run-flat F-1's with a decent "all-season" tire, not necessarily a run-flat. Heck, my M Roadster has never had a flat in five years' of driving, even though it never had a spare tire. (Wouldn't ya think that it would HAVE TO HAPPEN! Never did! Almost 60,000 miles to date!)

I happen to think that, with traction control and a bit of common sense, I can drive my V every day in Chicago area weather, just like I always have with my BMW M. Performance is pretty much the same (Well, it is until some road speed is gathered, after which the torque of the V-8 starts to make a noticeable feel of difference.) Anyway, both cars are damned quick, but I think both are fully driveable with decent tires and traction control.

The question is....

are "All Season" tires good enough for the CTS-V? Because I know of no "Winter" tires for the car.

I know,,, I should call Tire Rack. I will! I promise!

cadillac04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If Winter tires are needed in run flats I believe that Dunlop is the only mfg that has these.

Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 and SP Winter Sport M3 DSST (Dunlop Self-Supporting Technology run-flat tires) are Performance Winter tires that were developed to blend dry road performance with snow traction. They are sized for sports cars, coupes and sedans that come from the factory equipped with low profile tires mounted on large diameter alloy wheels and are engineered to deliver performance and traction whether the road is snow-covered or not.

Both versions of the SP Winter Sport M3 feature a silica based tread compound that remains pliable in cold temperatures. Using Dunlop V-Technology, this compound is molded into a directional tread design that helps maintain good traction on wet and slush-covered roads while its high-density lateral zigzag sipes and independent tread blocks provide the edges to help bite into snow.

Both versions of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 winter radials meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain-symbol. They feature blackwall styling and are available in 65-, 60-, 55-,and 45-series, T-, H- or V-speed rated sizes for 15" to 18" wheel diameters.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

At 8k I'm approx. 70% worn on my stock OEM tires. I'm (publicly) considering all of my alternate options (run flat not as big a deal to me). Here is the current list (with prices from TireRack and do not include tax, shipping, mounting/balancing, etc.) all are 245-45R18 (generally W, Y or Z rated). Prices are EACH tire as of the time of this posting.

I'm open to thoughts on any experiences with any of these tires on any other (prefer similiar) vehicles. Anyone have any comments, preferences, compaints with any of the listed tires. Why would you pick one over the other? Noise, ride comfort, grip, longevity, etc. What experiences do you have or know of. If you know of any other options (nitto?) please also post those options.

Goodyear (STOCK) Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT (run flat) - $328

Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168

There are a few other back ordered ones that aren't as big name.

Thoughts?

-Ben
    1) Stay away from RE050s. They provide no appreciable increase in performance over other tires on the bunch, but WEAR OUT faster than any of them.

2) S03s are fantastic. Wear "well" and provide a ton of grip and good wet weahter.

3) Sport 9000s provide the least amount of grip of the group. They ride great (read: soft) but talk to you at the least amount of loss of grip.

4) Continentals (read same as RE050s) - "Good enough for Porsche?" - yeah cause they were the lowest bidder!

5) Gs-D3s are GREAT, except in ANY snow or ANY ice. If the road is at all slick (like oiled asphault, slight freeze, etc) they break away easy. GREAT wet tires.

6) Pilot Sports are good tires, but pricey. Probably as good as the s03s but the s03s look better. You don't need the XL, it's Reinforced and rougher riding. The A/S are great tires (3rd time running them on a car), but they don't provide as much grip as the others. Wear better though. Kinda not quite enough tire for the CTS-V.

7) Others, haven't owned.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

jspinetto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have had the S-03 and also the GS-D3's. I had the GS-D3's on my 03 CTS 5spd and they made a night and day differance on that car, but forget any snow or ice with those tires. You can even go 5mph without breaking lose the rear end. When I got stuck in snow I just had to park it and wait for someone to pick me up!!! As for the s-03's they too were also a great tire and they seemed to wear less than my GS-D3's.

Jonathan

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Everyone - Thanks for all the replies - keep them comin!

wildwhl - those cars are AWD (and lighter) and therefore may have a different tire application to a high TQ car like a Z06 or the like, but apparently many others like them (not discounting your contribution).

Wienk - I'm in CA, so I don't have an ice/snow need but I'm glad you brought up your dilema as well, it's certainly something that plays a role for yourself and others on this forum.

miscreant - as always I (we) are thankfull for your continued contributions!

Everyone else again thanks. I *was* leaning towards trying the Yoko's because several of my BMW friends seems to like the AVS Sport? (but those are not the ES100), and heck if they are gonna wear out every 10k why not try the cheaper ones first. I don't have good experience with prior Goodyear HiPo tires (prior to F1 series), but I could be convinced to try them again. The S-03 are about even so far with those (by recommendation).

-Ben

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Everyone - Thanks for all the replies - keep them comin!

wildwhl - those cars are AWD (and lighter) and therefore may have a different tire application to a high TQ car like a Z06 or the like, but apparently many others like them (not discounting your contribution).

-Ben
    Ben -

Good point, I hadn't considered that. Sounds like they may not be for me since my V will for certain see occasional slick conditions (ice and OH MY GOD possibly even snow).

Let us know what you end up with and how you like them, please.

Wildwhl

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I am very pleased with the Pilot Sport XLs, but yes they are indeed expensive. So far the wear even on track and heavy driving conditions (not all-weather, forget about those in the rain) has been good. No complaints.

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

S03's are amazing tires.

Another tire to consider: Toyo Proxes T1-S -- $180
    Great ride, very quiet, good dry handling (not an S03, but close), great wet handling, will outlast the S03, and it's a *very* light tire (unsprung weight)... it was the spec tire for the Speedvision World Challenge!

A few more opinions: http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61487

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

No experience with them.

I'd like to say I love them, they've got excellent grip (maybe not so much as the older S-02 or the MXX3/Pilot Sport PS2) and are quite civilized.

But...I've had two of the S-03s on my M5 develop belt separation - one front enough to develop a shimmy, and one rear enough to start leaking. I've gone to Pilot Sports on the M5 (I'd have done PS2s but they weren't available in those sizes yet.)

Comfortable, nice soft ride, nowhere near top-drawer in grip.

A shop I use for chassis work (at least what I don't do myself) loves them, no personal experience yet. Just ordered a set for my wife's car.

My only exposure to them has been a few minutes of peaceful motoring, but I know several folks who love them.

It was a coin-flip whether to go for these or the Contis for the spousal wheels.

The Pilot Sport is a safe choice - good grip, good behavior, reasonable life. You don't need the all-season version here in the Bay Area, do you?

If you're after serious grip, you might see if the Pilot Sport PS2 is available. So far as I understand it, it's the Pilot Sport carcass with the tread of the old MXX3; the blockier tread sticks better.

Pirelli likes to confuse things. There's the original PZero, the PZero Nero (the newer dry-grip tire), and the PZero Rosso (the newer comfort/wet tire.)

I love the old PZero Asimmetrico, the asymmetric tread with the very closed outer-edge rib (anyone remember the old Yokohama A008?) are a big help for Macstrut cars without enough camber curve - it's the only thing I'll put on our old Saab (the 205/50-16 is also pretty cheap.) We get surprisingly good life out of them.

The Direzionale is, according to Pirelli, only for the front of light cars.

I have no personal experience with the Neros or Rossos. Once again, I'd think if you want to go that way you're looking more Nero than Rosso.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I've had nothing but good experiences with Michelin, the older MXX3 on my Viper GTS and the Pilot Sport on my M5. When it's time to replace on my V, I will look to Michelin first. I've always found their wet weather handling to be great, and have used them for extended periods at high speeds (120-160mph).

Prior to the Michelins on the M5, I had the Dunlops 9000 tires... I didn't like their dry or wet handling characteristics as much... but then again without the label many guys might pick a tire other than their favorite.

I replaced Pirelli PZeros on my Porsche 993 with Contisports... the Contis were louder, handled better in the rain and worse in the dry... and they chunked on the track more than others.

I used to hear alot of good things about Bridgestone from the Porsche guys when they were S02 verions, but haven't heard anything good lately.

My take on all-weather tires is that they are a compromise... High Performance tires obviously handle better in the dry AND IMHO in the rain... while dedicated winter tires (Blizzak) deal with snow very well. Like when dealing with your wife/girlfriend, a compromise means neither side is happy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.