Tire Choices for STOCK sizes - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Tire Choices for STOCK sizes in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by thebigjimsho Kind of like asking people to a wine tasting who swear the boxed stuff tastes the ...
    AmesCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

Re: Tire Choices for STOCK sizes

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    Kind of like asking people to a wine tasting who swear the boxed stuff tastes the best. Must be that plastic lining.

If anybody told me the PS2 is ugly looking, I'd laugh in their face. That is what a performance tire is supposed to look like. To me, someone who knows better, it gets my notice like seeing a Ferrari would. I think the Continental ContiSportContact 2 V-Max is the meanest looking street tire on earth. The PS2 is pretty close to that.

In fact, the GS-D3, T1-S/R and the Yokohama AVS Sport all look like downgrades to me. Unless you're dealing with treadless slicks, a tire with multiple continuous ribs usually has the best handling traits. The 3 I mentioned, along with the BFGoodrich T/A KDW2, all are great tires. They're just not the best. And I wouldn't let people who know nothing but how to rice up their rides tell me differently.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...master_en.html
    Whoaaa, I say the Michelins are ugly and now I know nothing about rides, but how to rice them up? Seriously I wasn't trying to personally offend you. I've been to plenty of shows with car guys that don't like the bling and the Sports got bad reviews.

FYI, I've done way more performance mods to my GTO than appearance mods and I do them all myself. If you've been looking at my site I mainly post the appearance mods because that's what people want to see. A pic of a cam or heads going in doesn't get looked at I know.

I never said anything bad about the Sports performance, in fact I said they were good, just ugly. Some people will like them, but the majority of people who don't even notice tires will see they stand out and call them ugly, sorry I've seen it first hand.

I'll drop this since I've obviously hit a nerve, sorry for saying what I've seen first hand.
    12 CTS-V | 12 SRX | 09 Z06 | 08 C6 Z51
    05 CTS-V | 04 GTO (Sold)

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by AmesCTS-V
    Whoaaa, I say the Michelins are ugly and now I know nothing about rides, but how to rice them up? Seriously I wasn't trying to personally offend you. I've been to plenty of shows with car guys that don't like the bling and the Sports got bad reviews.

FYI, I've done way more performance mods to my GTO than appearance mods and I do them all myself. If you've been looking at my site I mainly post the appearance mods because that's what people want to see. A pic of a cam or heads going in doesn't get looked at I know.

I never said anything bad about the Sports performance, in fact I said they were good, just ugly. Some people will like them, but the majority of people who don't even notice tires will see they stand out and call them ugly, sorry I've seen it first hand.

I'll drop this since I've obviously hit a nerve, sorry for saying what I've seen first hand.
    Sorry, but you need to reread my post. I'm not talking about YOU. I'm talking about people you seem to be worried about. When it comes to engines and/or things mechanical, you probably know more than I do. But I've been interested in tires and suspensions since I was little and if someone came up to me and told me my tires were ugly, I'd laugh. And then I'd leave them with 2 nice, long black marks to remember me by.

In no way was that post a slight to you. Just your self-confidence.

AmesCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

I was the only one talking with you about it so I had to assume it was directed at me. At car shows I usually pay more attention to what the non-car people say, like the wives and regular joe's that show up. The car guys tend to be into the bling or old school, rarely middle of the road.

I personally keep my opinions to myself at car shows when I don't like something. But, a nice burn out would be a good response to someone ripping your ride.
    12 CTS-V | 12 SRX | 09 Z06 | 08 C6 Z51
    05 CTS-V | 04 GTO (Sold)

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    The day I buy tires because the tread looks cool, I permit any of you to shoot me, beat me or kick me in the nads.
    Well, I'll sign up for the nad kicking...

I guess if two tires had near identical performance, you might decide on which design you prefer... but replacing or choosing tires based on tread pattern - you must be kidding.

Point in case, I have GS-D3s and personally dislike the V pattern... but they met my criteria for performance, and that was that. BTW, I like the look of Michelin tires.

CVP33 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

I need some pretty tires. Hoping to have a custom shop convert some GY RSA's into Vogues. :coolgleam This way I have the superior performance of RSA's and the look! Please don't be playa' haters.

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

And let's not forgot the BFG Scorcher... which came in all the popular gang colors...
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    And let's not forgot the BFG Scorcher... which came in all the popular gang colors...
    Can I get them in black? You know, to match my car too. I'll bet they're faster.

Tony

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33
    I need some pretty tires. Hoping to have a custom shop convert some GY RSA's into Vogues. :coolgleam This way I have the superior performance of RSA's and the look! Please don't be playa' haters.
    Ohhhh, hohoho. You are a one a wild and a craaaaazy a guy!!

Sullyfx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05' CTS-V Platinum

As a newbie to this forum I need to start posting. This conversation is right up my alley since I work for Michelin.... Yes a little biast, but I also see the raw data from testing. The new Pilot Sport is amazing! It was the first upgrade I did to mine. Its all about bang for the buck though right?

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

This thread was 6 years old. Ironic you found a 6 year old thread on tires to reply to and you just happen to work for a tire company?

I'm not sure about the forum rules on pushing products, but I'm sure there are more current, relevant tire discussion threads that could benefit from some biased contributions.

-PJ

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyfx View Post
    Its all about bang for the buck though right?
    Nope, it is all about traction.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by PJGross View Post
    This thread was 6 years old. Ironic you found a 6 year old thread on tires to reply to and you just happen to work for a tire company?

I'm not sure about the forum rules on pushing products, but I'm sure there are more current, relevant tire discussion threads that could benefit from some biased contributions.

-PJ
    I think sully needs to dole out some discount codes asap.

bjv
    bjv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 cts-v

OK I'll assume that resurrecting this thread can work for real discussion and not scamming, so here goes my 2 cents worth...

I bought a used 2007 with about 20k miles on it. The dealer replaced the rear tires because they were worn, but the front tires looked OK so they kept them. (I can't think of why the rear tires would be worn more than the fronts ). The car came with RS-A's and they put RS-A's back on it. The fronts lasted just past 30k miles. I replaced them with Continental ExtremeContact DWS. (And no I don't work for any kind of tire-related company.)
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS
    So far so good with the Contis, and my RS-A's on the back are at 20k miles and still have a lot of tread left. (I know what you're going to say because I've already heard it. ) Not long after I got the car I made the decision to go away from run-flats so I bought a spare on this forum and bought a jack on ebay. And actually when one of my original RS-A's went flat on a trip I just put my spare on and went about my business, then bought the Contis when I got back into the big city.

I've got "tire envy" now that I see that the new Camaro comes with 275 width tires on the back.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Wide tires are nice, but imo proportion/balance/stance are important to the overall look of a car, to the extent that too wide a tire can look goofy.

The cts can pull it off, but its a narrow/tall car. Lowering is a key addition to the equation.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by sullyfx View Post
    ... I work for michelin ...
    Group buy !!!!
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.