Tire Choices for STOCK sizes - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Tire Choices for STOCK sizes in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; What are you getting??...
    Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Re: Tire Choices for STOCK sizes

What are you getting??

DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V bl/bl CAGS!, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl
    Those items, along with OnStar and/or your cell phone for major blowouts.

I intend to go GS-D3's when it is time and carry goop and a pump. I suppose there is some risk to this approach, but I'm willing to live with it.
    On my blow out of the Nitto I had on the front, I used OnStar and watched a DVD while the truck was in route. I would reccomed keeping a DVD in the car to watch during this wait. Amount I paid for the flat was zero, Onstar is still under teh free period, and the flat totaly destoryed the Nitto and Discount replace for free.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    Corvette Article comparing S0-3, MPS (Mich Pilot Sport) and Goodyear GS-D3.

Some may find this vaulable or of interest - http://www.corvetteforum.com/....php?qstId=480
    Only problem with that article is that it looks like most of the comparison was provided by Goodyear and perhaps too much of it was dependent on wet-weather performance.

What I hear from folks who've run the GS-D3 for a while is that it's got very good overall grip and it's very civilized but it's a little 'soft' - so the ride quality is very good but the turn-in isn't as crisp as the S-03 etc.

As a daily-driver tire it'd probably be my first choice, but I'd expect the Conti SportContact2, the S-03, and probably the PZero beat it for maximum dry-road grip.

drdsgolf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

OK, here goes. After reading all the tire threads on this website, I went back to my friend who runs the Goodyear store here by me. I ordered four Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. I told him that others on our website seemed to be abandoning the very pricey run-flats and finding various ways to create a spare tire and the room in the trunk for the spare by removing the annoying tub. A few people had mentioned buying a Mille Miglia 18x8 wheel for $249 from Tire Rack I believe. My buddy searched around and through a company called American Tire Distributors found a wheel made by Pacer that will work as a spare with one of my older OEM run flats (the one with a little tread left I guess). Anyway the Pacer wheel is model Pacer 272M Affinity and the price was $100. Apparently American Tire Distributors only works with Tire Dealers, so if you are buying your tires on your own I couldn't find anyone selling this wheel online. Meanwhile there is a $75 Goodyear rebate going on as well. Hope this is helpful.

David

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

drdsgolf,

Thanks for the post/update, seems like the logical chioce the GS-D3's. On the Pacer 272M Affinity I can only find that wheel in 18x7.5 which will NOT fit our tire size (rim is too narrow/width wise), if you DID manage to get it in 18x8 (and 6 lug), I'd be interested in hearing about it. The $75 rebate is on again off again, so timing is rather important. I'm leaning towards trying something else entirely just to be different (and I'll swap rides in a GS-D3 equiped V at somepoint). Right now my car continues to develop other issues which make tires a low priority.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

One more thing....TOL (thinking out loud)....

As soon as GM/Cadillac releases the Secondary wheels for the CTS-V (they were pictured in the 2004 V brochure as dealer installed options like the Corsa - they look alot like the Z06 wheels) there should be a steady supply of used (and resonably priced) stock V rims on the market, but that's pure speculation on my part.

-Ben

On the Pacer 272M Affinity I can only find that wheel in 18x7.5 which will NOT fit our tire size (rim is too narrow/width wise)
    Ben... totally HMO... but I would not hestitate to put a 245/45/18 on a 7.5" rim as a spare... it's not the best setup for handling... but you're not going to be road racing on it.

FWIW, the cheaper 245/45/18 tires Tirerack sells... show 7.5" as an "improved rim width":
    Avon Tech M550 $141
    Continental ContiTouringContact CH95 $145

drdsgolf: Do you know (or can you get) the offset for this wheel... it's shown as a FWD wheel, so it's offset may not clear the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    Ben... totally HMO... but I would not hestitate to put a 245/45/18 on a 7.5" rim as a spare... it's not the best setup for handling... but you're not going to be road racing on it.

FWIW, the cheaper 245/45/18 tires Tirerack sells... show 7.5" as an "improved rim width":
    Avon Tech M550 $141
    Continental ContiTouringContact CH95 $145
    Uh yeah, that maybe ok for some other tires options BUT the GY EMT has really stiff sidewalls, which I don't *THINK* (off the top of my head here) will like the 7.5 width. Might have to re-check that with your local GY shop.

I'm still back and forth on GS-D3 and the TOYO Proxes, I've heard good and bad from users of both, and now with the GY rebate price is similar as well.

...though the GY EMT runs small as far as 245/45's go...

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

isn't there some "new generation" GY EMT on the new C6?
    it come in our size?

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski
    isn't there some "new generation" GY EMT on the new C6?
    it come in our size?
    From the Chevy site:

The standard Goodyear Eagle F1 Extended Mobility Tires are engineered specifically for the Corvette and designed to travel at least 100 miles at 55 mph if necessary with 0 pounds of air pressure. Yet the tires features more road-holding ability with better compliance and significantly lower tread noise. Z51 Performance Package Corvettes get a special tire known as the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT. Its asymmetrical tread provides higher overall performance and grip in dry conditions.

Spec Sizes are as follows:
    Tires, front P245/40ZR-18, Extended Mobility, Eagle F1
    Tires, rear P285/35ZR-19, Extended Mobility, Eagle F1

Funny thing, dreamin, but my friend was on the phone with American Tire Distributors while we were working on this, and the guy distinctly said it was an 18x8 inch wheel. Was he shucking and jiving?

ds

Well, I got my new Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires today and they are outstanding. Less good news on the spare tire front. The Pacer wheel came in, and although it is 18x8, it is not a six lug wheel and we couldn't use it, so we ordered a milli vanilli (mille miglia), was able to get it for $210. I am now awaiting my new Corsa exhaust.

ds

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.