Cadillac Owners Forum banner
22K views 101 replies 34 participants last post by  Sullyfx 
#1 ·
At 8k I'm approx. 70% worn on my stock OEM tires. I'm (publicly) considering all of my alternate options (run flat not as big a deal to me). Here is the current list (with prices from TireRack and do not include tax, shipping, mounting/balancing, etc.) all are 245-45R18 (generally W, Y or Z rated). Prices are EACH tire as of the time of this posting.

I'm open to thoughts on any experiences with any of these tires on any other (prefer similiar) vehicles. Anyone have any comments, preferences, compaints with any of the listed tires. Why would you pick one over the other? Noise, ride comfort, grip, longevity, etc. What experiences do you have or know of. If you know of any other options (nitto?) please also post those options.

Goodyear (STOCK) Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT (run flat) - $328

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 - $201
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 XL - $203
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (run flat) - $263
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - $224
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - $201
Continental ContiSportContact 2 - $218
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $208
Michelin Pilot Sport - $246
Michelin Pilot Sport XL - $268
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $247
Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico - $215
Pirelli PZero System Direzionale - $216
Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168

There are a few other back ordered ones that aren't as big name.

Thoughts?

-Ben

See less See more
#52 ·
One more thing....TOL (thinking out loud)....

As soon as GM/Cadillac releases the Secondary wheels for the CTS-V (they were pictured in the 2004 V brochure as dealer installed options like the Corsa - they look alot like the Z06 wheels) there should be a steady supply of used (and resonably priced) stock V rims on the market, but that's pure speculation on my part.

-Ben

#53 ·
On the Pacer 272M Affinity I can only find that wheel in 18x7.5 which will NOT fit our tire size (rim is too narrow/width wise)
Ben... totally HMO... but I would not hestitate to put a 245/45/18 on a 7.5" rim as a spare... it's not the best setup for handling... but you're not going to be road racing on it.

FWIW, the cheaper 245/45/18 tires Tirerack sells... show 7.5" as an "improved rim width":
Avon Tech M550 $141
Continental ContiTouringContact CH95 $145

#55 ·
Dreamin said:
Ben... totally HMO... but I would not hestitate to put a 245/45/18 on a 7.5" rim as a spare... it's not the best setup for handling... but you're not going to be road racing on it.

FWIW, the cheaper 245/45/18 tires Tirerack sells... show 7.5" as an "improved rim width":
Avon Tech M550 $141
Continental ContiTouringContact CH95 $145
Uh yeah, that maybe ok for some other tires options BUT the GY EMT has really stiff sidewalls, which I don't *THINK* (off the top of my head here) will like the 7.5 width. Might have to re-check that with your local GY shop.

I'm still back and forth on GS-D3 and the TOYO Proxes, I've heard good and bad from users of both, and now with the GY rebate price is similar as well.

#58 ·
urbanski said:
isn't there some "new generation" GY EMT on the new C6?
it come in our size?
From the Chevy site:

The standard Goodyear Eagle F1 Extended Mobility Tires are engineered specifically for the Corvette and designed to travel at least 100 miles at 55 mph if necessary with 0 pounds of air pressure. Yet the tires features more road-holding ability with better compliance and significantly lower tread noise. Z51 Performance Package Corvettes get a special tire known as the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT. Its asymmetrical tread provides higher overall performance and grip in dry conditions.

Spec Sizes are as follows:
Tires, front P245/40ZR-18, Extended Mobility, Eagle F1
Tires, rear P285/35ZR-19, Extended Mobility, Eagle F1

#60 ·
Well, I got my new Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires today and they are outstanding. Less good news on the spare tire front. The Pacer wheel came in, and although it is 18x8, it is not a six lug wheel and we couldn't use it, so we ordered a milli vanilli (mille miglia), was able to get it for $210. I am now awaiting my new Corsa exhaust.

ds

#61 ·
I'm about to roll over 15k (and 9 months of V ownership), I told myself if I can push the OEM F-1's to 15k I will try to, and I did (let's just say there isn't much tread left). I was on the fence before about the Toyo Proxes vs. the GS-D3, now I'm on the GS-D3 vs. Mich Pilot PS2 fence. When you factor in the (current) GY rebate price is close enough to not be a factor. Here's what I have discovered - Both perform very well in dry conditions, while the GS-D3 will achieve slightly faster laptimes (overall a better "performing" tire), it doesn't have the stable response (feel as planted) as the MPS2 - but this is supposedly a VERY minor disctinction/difference between the two. The GS-D3 will handle better in STANDING water (not sure how much of that I have to deal with - San Francisco's climate isn't known for torrential rains). They are about even in just plain wet road. The MPS2 is (supposedly) significantly quieter (less road noise) and I've heard that to be a medium to large factor (driver/car dependent) with the crappy roads we have around here. Both should last more than 15k, but (and here is what is currently winning me over - along with road noise) the MPS2 are non-directional so they can be rotated to all positions, this should extend their lives to an expected 20k, the GS-D3 can only be swapped front to back.

Thoughts?

#62 ·
benjet,

I turned 17,600 miles today after 9 months as well. I've had two sets of runflats. My originals, plus Cal's used ones with about 85% tread life. Switched to the GS-D3's at the end of August and I am extremely pleased. I've lit these babies up many times and still can't see any signs of these tires giving in. I would estimate the tread life at 12-15,000 miles vs. 5-6,000 for the runflats. The ride is very nice, grip is excellent and noise is average to good. I do have to contend with standing water, especially this year and have yet to have the first hint of hydro-planing or any loss of grip. I do believe that once you get into the upper tier of tire makers you can't go wrong. The Bridgestones, Michelins and Goodyears are all great tires.

#63 ·
benjet said:
Uh yeah, that maybe ok for some other tires options BUT the GY EMT has really stiff sidewalls, which I don't *THINK* (off the top of my head here) will like the 7.5 width. Might have to re-check that with your local GY shop.

I'm still back and forth on GS-D3 and the TOYO Proxes, I've heard good and bad from users of both, and now with the GY rebate price is similar as well.
One of the more disappointing things with my old SHO was the unbelievably narrow rim width. I had a 16x6 wheel with a 215/60 16 tire. Now, I ran probably 5 different types of tires on that narrow rim. And the Goodyear GT+4 was the tire I ended up liking most and going back to. The reason was that the Goodyear had by far the stiffest sidewalls of the tires I tried. Stiff sidewalls are better for narrow rims.

Going to next point. For autocrossing, I had 16x7.5" wheels with 225/50 16 BF Goodrich R1s mounted. And that was an unbelievable combo with all the suspension work that was done on the SHO. So if 225mm on a 7.5" wide wheel worked remarkably well, I wouldn't think twice about 245. It'll be fine.

#64 ·
benjet said:
Goodyear (STOCK) Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT (run flat) - $328

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 - $201
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 XL - $203
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (run flat) - $263
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - $224
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - $201
Continental ContiSportContact 2 - $218
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $208
Michelin Pilot Sport - $246
Michelin Pilot Sport XL - $268
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $247
Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico - $215
Pirelli PZero System Direzionale - $216
Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168

Added to the above list:

NEXEN N3000
Goodyear Eagle RS-A
Goodyear Eagle F-1 (non-runflat, non-supercar)
Falken Falken Azenis ST115
Falken GR Beta FK-451
Toyo Proxes (the SCCA World Challenge spec tire) in both race and street versions
Nitto (choice of 2 models in the proper size)
Hankook Ventus Sport K104

I think there are even a few more...
Now I know this is for information purposes and I want people to be fully informed, but..........If anybody EVER puts a set of Goodyear Eagle RS-As on their V, I will personally come down to smack them. I don't care if you live in Alaska, I'll be there. I do not understand how those things are still in existence. They were the stock tires on my dad's '95 Lumina LS. WAY too soft even for that car. C&D tested the latest Gen Eclipse and hated the handling.......until they found out it was mostly the RS-As. And that has happened with quite a few cars. They mention their hatred for the tire themselves.

As for the Toyo Proxes that were run in the C&D challenge, those are the tires I may get next. But those are specifically the RA-1s. And those DO NOT come in our size. But you can get them in a 245/40 18.

#65 ·
Pulling my foot out of my mouth here, the MPS2's are not offered (as of this moment) in the *absolute* STOCK size (referencing my own thread title - DUH!), would have to go 245/40/18. For anyone considering this route the GS-D3 are $211 (less the current offer rebate thing ~$20 tire) list from TR (not shipped installed etc.)for 245/45/18, while the MPS2 are on special (245/40/18 NOT XL) for $225.

#66 ·
I finally caved and ordered a set of the GS-D3's while the rebate was still on. They go on next week. My OEM rears are as bald as bald can be. Just had full alignment done (in advance of the new rubber going on), Toe was off considerably (go figure) all the way around. I wish I had the alignment report the dealer did @ 3k to compare.

#67 ·
ctsvett said:
Not to thread hijack here, but:

If you replace the runflat tires with non runflat, the guy at the dealer was telling me that you can possibly crush the Tire pressure sensor (~$300 ea) if you ever got a flat tire. Is this true?

OEM tires are way too expensive for me so they are not an option, but I dont want to end up costing myself more later.

Can the car be run without the Tire pressure sensors or will the car freak out? (I remember the guys running the silver state had a problem like this).. Can you disable the sensors or just stick the sensors in the trunk? What option do you have?

Reed
CTSVETT
Http://www.cadillacfaq.com
I crushed the sensor when one of my F1 runflat's failed and I had to drive 50 miles on the runflat (it does work as intended)

The sensor's are very large and protrude inward towards the center of the wheel so any sharp impact or extended driving on the deflated tire will break the sensor; runflat or not.

BTW, I pay about $100 per sensor thru my tire dealer.

#69 ·
Has anyone checked out the BFGoodrich KDW2 245 45 18 as stock tire replacements? Only $165 each at tirerack.com without the road hazard warranty.

#70 ·
LV_V said:
Has anyone checked out the BFGoodrich KDW2 245 45 18 as stock tire replacements? Only $165 each at tirerack.com without the road hazard warranty.
That follows my post well:) KDW2's will be the first set of replacement tires I get for sure.

Like I said on my GTO I found that the GS-D3 and S03's were pretty comparable and very good tires. I'd say the GS-D3's look better and the S03's grip a little better. The KDW2's look the best of the 3 and seem to grip similar to the S03's, but I have the KDW2's on my AWD Silvy so I could be wrong; the other 2 I had on my GTO.

#72 ·
thebigjimsho said:
The day I buy tires because the tread looks cool, I permit any of you to shoot me, beat me or kick me in the nads.
The tread and sidewall can effect the looks of the car a lot. On my GTO I switched from the factory KDW tires to GS-D3 tires and the appearance difference was huge.

From what you say try some Michelin Sports, they perform very well, but I promise people will notice and will say the tires are ugly. I've seen guys that aren't appearance mod guys get rid of the Sports because they are ugly.

#74 ·
Wasn't saying bad things about your car. Wasn't trying to rip on your tires in particular, but if you have Michelin Pilots, then I'm just saying what I've heard/seen myself. Great tires, just really ugly and even non-car people seem to notice that. If you put them on for the track and switch them out to drive home it's all good:)

#75 ·
Kind of like asking people to a wine tasting who swear the boxed stuff tastes the best. Must be that plastic lining.

If anybody told me the PS2 is ugly looking, I'd laugh in their face. That is what a performance tire is supposed to look like. To me, someone who knows better, it gets my notice like seeing a Ferrari would. I think the Continental ContiSportContact 2 V-Max is the meanest looking street tire on earth. The PS2 is pretty close to that.

In fact, the GS-D3, T1-S/R and the Yokohama AVS Sport all look like downgrades to me. Unless you're dealing with treadless slicks, a tire with multiple continuous ribs usually has the best handling traits. The 3 I mentioned, along with the BFGoodrich T/A KDW2, all are great tires. They're just not the best. And I wouldn't let people who know nothing but how to rice up their rides tell me differently.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/us/en/continental/automobile/themes/pc_tyres/uh_performance/conti_sport_contact_2_vmax/master_en.html

#76 ·
thebigjimsho said:
Kind of like asking people to a wine tasting who swear the boxed stuff tastes the best. Must be that plastic lining.

If anybody told me the PS2 is ugly looking, I'd laugh in their face. That is what a performance tire is supposed to look like. To me, someone who knows better, it gets my notice like seeing a Ferrari would. I think the Continental ContiSportContact 2 V-Max is the meanest looking street tire on earth. The PS2 is pretty close to that.

In fact, the GS-D3, T1-S/R and the Yokohama AVS Sport all look like downgrades to me. Unless you're dealing with treadless slicks, a tire with multiple continuous ribs usually has the best handling traits. The 3 I mentioned, along with the BFGoodrich T/A KDW2, all are great tires. They're just not the best. And I wouldn't let people who know nothing but how to rice up their rides tell me differently.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/us/en/continental/automobile/themes/pc_tyres/uh_performance/conti_sport_contact_2_vmax/master_en.html
Whoaaa, I say the Michelins are ugly and now I know nothing about rides, but how to rice them up? Seriously I wasn't trying to personally offend you. I've been to plenty of shows with car guys that don't like the bling and the Sports got bad reviews.

FYI, I've done way more performance mods to my GTO than appearance mods and I do them all myself. If you've been looking at my site I mainly post the appearance mods because that's what people want to see. A pic of a cam or heads going in doesn't get looked at I know.

I never said anything bad about the Sports performance, in fact I said they were good, just ugly. Some people will like them, but the majority of people who don't even notice tires will see they stand out and call them ugly, sorry I've seen it first hand.

I'll drop this since I've obviously hit a nerve, sorry for saying what I've seen first hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.