Tire Choices for STOCK sizes - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Tire Choices for STOCK sizes in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Interesting combinations here. I have run wide michelin pilots. Good grip. Wear like erasers! Toyo Proxes, guiet good wear, good ...
    lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Tire Choices for STOCK sizes

Interesting combinations here. I have run wide michelin pilots. Good grip. Wear like erasers!

Toyo Proxes, guiet good wear, good grip.

P-0's good lateral grip good wear, quiet. Terrible at the dragstrip.

I have the opposite experiance with the 9000's. Excellant handling dry or rain, quiet, excellent at the dragstrip. Pretty good wear.

These were 285-40-18's as I remember. Narrower tires perform differently than the fat boys. IMO..

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Pirelli likes to confuse things. There's the original PZero, the PZero Nero (the newer dry-grip tire), and the PZero Rosso (the newer comfort/wet tire.)
    The P Zero Nero is advertised as an all season M&S tire. Its fairly new and its the top rated ultra performance all season tire on tirerack.com. Supposedly available in V tire size at W rating. Price and tread wear also seems reasonable. I have no expereince with Pirelli tires other than on motorcycles but I think I'll give them a try when the F1s wear out.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Not to thread hijack here, but:

If you replace the runflat tires with non runflat, the guy at the dealer was telling me that you can possibly crush the Tire pressure sensor (~$300 ea) if you ever got a flat tire. Is this true?

OEM tires are way too expensive for me so they are not an option, but I dont want to end up costing myself more later.

Can the car be run without the Tire pressure sensors or will the car freak out? (I remember the guys running the silver state had a problem like this).. Can you disable the sensors or just stick the sensors in the trunk? What option do you have?

Reed
    CTSVETT
    Http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Also, if you're planning on using a tire repair kit, the goop will ruin the sensors.

Based on C5 info, haven't tried it on the V... If you run without sensors, you will get a "service tire monitoring system" error message on start-up.

You can:
    1) Do nothing, and live with resetting the error msg at startup.

2) Get LS1Edit and turn TPM system off.

3) Find a dealer, or someone with a GM Tech-2 programming tool, and get them to turn the TPM system off. This will eliminate the error messages. The procedure would be found here: http://stopforce.com/RPO.html These instructions are intended for Z06 owners wishing to install sensors and enable the TPM system, but you can use the info to also disable the system by setting it accordingly.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Cannonball Run or whatever (One Slap of America) the V's were using aftermarket wheels and having major problems with being unable to drive hard due to tire sensor errors. That's what people talked about at the time, I suspect the car doesn't like being put at high speeds when it thinks the tires are flat (duh).

That crushing of the sensors does stink.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadss
    If you replace the runflat tires with non runflat, the guy at the dealer was telling me that you can possibly crush the Tire pressure sensor (~$300 ea) if you ever got a flat tire. Is this true?
    Sure it's *POSSIBLE* if your tire fails (depending on the failure etc.).

I *BELIEVE* the pn# for the sensor to be - 25763677 (please verify before ordering this item). Copy from GMParts Direct (each w/o shipping - but gives you an idea on sensor pricing):

GM LIST: $82.47
    OUR PRICE: $47.01

It's a risk I'm willing to take. YMMV.

-Ben

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Yeah stop listening to 'the guy at the dealer' who wants you to make his car payment with your 300% marked-up sensors.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rich H
    The P Zero Nero is advertised as an all season M&S tire.
    Yeah, I had the Nero and Rosso backward.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

I agree with the small liklihood of crushing a tire sensor with a non-run flat tire. It would take a catastrophic blow-out to deflate the tire fast enough where you couldn't respond to low tire pressure and pull over. I think the ~50 bucks or so you could lose if you damaged the sensor is worth the trade off of spending a lot less for non-EMTs. Of course, you have to also weigh in the cost (and space) of a spare tire, wheel, & jack.

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Rich H
    I agree with the small liklihood of crushing a tire sensor with a non-run flat tire.
    Bear in mind that driving more than a minimal distance at any speed on a truly flat tire will destroy the rim, never mind the pressure sensor, so I wouldn't spend too much time fretting over the sensor.

Time to bring this thread back to life!

So if EMT/RFT is required there are only 3 choices that fit STOCK size (the Mich Pilot Sport EMT/RFT are NOT availabel in this size)

1. STOCK Goodyear F1 Supercar
    2. Bridgestone RE-40 (I think)
    3. Dunlop (I cant' recall the model off hand)

Both 2 & 3 are a significant step down from #1.

For non-EMT/RFT - we add Falken's to list posted as the top of this thread.

Just off the phone with one of the TireRack Test Drivers (who has driven all of the tires below) Based on his suggestions - The current (IMHO) top choice list should look like this:

1. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $208 (less $75 rebate on 4 - for the next 48 hours or so) - nearly as good dry performance/handling (as the stock Supercars), MUCH better wet handling, quieter and hopefully a little better treadlife (12k-15k).

2. Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168 - Not quite *AS* good performance wise as GS-D3 but you should be able to expect 15k-20k out of them.

3. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $247 If you need all weather this maybe the way to go, should hope to see 20k out of them. He said he would recommend the A/S over the non-A/S as they are very close to the same but the A/S has a much better treadlife.

4. Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - $224 about the same wear and handling of the Yokohama's but you paying a premium over them (for no good reason).

I'm leaning towards trying the GS-D3 and next time the AVS E100 OR TOYO PROXES.

Any thoughts?

-Ben

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    Time to bring this thread back to life!

So if EMT/RFT is required there are only 3 choices that fit STOCK size (the Mich Pilot Sport EMT/RFT are NOT availabel in this size)

1. STOCK Goodyear F1 Supercar
    2. Bridgestone RE-40 (I think)
    3. Dunlop (I cant' recall the model off hand)

Both 2 & 3 are a significant step down from #1.

For non-EMT/RFT - we add Falken's to list posted as the top of this thread.

Just off the phone with one of the TireRack Test Drivers (who has driven all of the tires below) Based on his suggestions - The current (IMHO) top choice list should look like this:

1. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $208 (less $75 rebate on 4 - for the next 48 hours or so) - nearly as good dry performance/handling (as the stock Supercars), MUCH better wet handling, quieter and hopefully a little better treadlife (12k-15k).

2. Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168 - Not quite *AS* good performance wise as GS-D3 but you should be able to expect 15k-20k out of them.

3. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $247 If you need all weather this maybe the way to go, should hope to see 20k out of them. He said he would recommend the A/S over the non-A/S as they are very close to the same but the A/S has a much better treadlife.

4. Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - $224 about the same wear and handling of the Yokohama's but you paying a premium over them (for no good reason).

I'm leaning towards trying the GS-D3 and next time the AVS E100.

Any thoughts?

-Ben
    I'll add my thoughts if you don't mind:

GS-D3s are the best overall. The Yokos are not as good as is reflected in the tirerack surveys - the yokos tend to be purchased by people who aren't ready to spend the big bucks on the really good stuff - but they are typically much better than what they had previously, so they get good marks. Also, just a word to the wise, the Sport A/S's do NOT lock up near as well as the regular Sports. I don't believe the A/S's are as good, near as good, as the Sports when it comes to launching. They work well on my car because I need the A/S capability, and I don't have 395lbs of tq. However, they still have great roll resistance and handling characteristics, but unless you NEED A/S capability and NEED excellent wear, you will sacrifice with the A/S's....

Add: The SO-3s are much better than the Yokos in MHO...
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Leaning towards the GS-D3 as well after winter is over. In a few months I plan to mount some winter tires on the stock wheels and then purhase aftermarket 19" for the good "summer" wheels.

Let me clairfy one thing -

Add to the list at the very top of this thread (non-EMT/RFT)

Falken (choice of 2 models in the proper size)
    Toyo Proxes (the SCCA World Challenge spec tire)
    Nitto

bc TireRack doesnt carry those I couldnt get him to offer up any opinions on them, but they should be worth checking out as well.

-Ben

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

well since this is back to life...

what are you non-EMT buyers going to use as flat protection?

Buying the SRX 18s?
    Gobs of that green tire stuff?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.