Cadillac Owners Forum banner
22K views 101 replies 34 participants last post by  Sullyfx 
#1 ·
At 8k I'm approx. 70% worn on my stock OEM tires. I'm (publicly) considering all of my alternate options (run flat not as big a deal to me). Here is the current list (with prices from TireRack and do not include tax, shipping, mounting/balancing, etc.) all are 245-45R18 (generally W, Y or Z rated). Prices are EACH tire as of the time of this posting.

I'm open to thoughts on any experiences with any of these tires on any other (prefer similiar) vehicles. Anyone have any comments, preferences, compaints with any of the listed tires. Why would you pick one over the other? Noise, ride comfort, grip, longevity, etc. What experiences do you have or know of. If you know of any other options (nitto?) please also post those options.

Goodyear (STOCK) Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT (run flat) - $328

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 - $201
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 XL - $203
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (run flat) - $263
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - $224
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - $201
Continental ContiSportContact 2 - $218
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $208
Michelin Pilot Sport - $246
Michelin Pilot Sport XL - $268
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $247
Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico - $215
Pirelli PZero System Direzionale - $216
Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168

There are a few other back ordered ones that aren't as big name.

Thoughts?

-Ben

See less See more
#27 ·
benjet said:
Time to bring this thread back to life!

So if EMT/RFT is required there are only 3 choices that fit STOCK size (the Mich Pilot Sport EMT/RFT are NOT availabel in this size)

1. STOCK Goodyear F1 Supercar
2. Bridgestone RE-40 (I think)
3. Dunlop (I cant' recall the model off hand)

Both 2 & 3 are a significant step down from #1.

For non-EMT/RFT - we add Falken's to list posted as the top of this thread.

Just off the phone with one of the TireRack Test Drivers (who has driven all of the tires below) Based on his suggestions - The current (IMHO) top choice list should look like this:

1. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $208 (less $75 rebate on 4 - for the next 48 hours or so) - nearly as good dry performance/handling (as the stock Supercars), MUCH better wet handling, quieter and hopefully a little better treadlife (12k-15k).

2. Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168 - Not quite *AS* good performance wise as GS-D3 but you should be able to expect 15k-20k out of them.

3. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $247 If you need all weather this maybe the way to go, should hope to see 20k out of them. He said he would recommend the A/S over the non-A/S as they are very close to the same but the A/S has a much better treadlife.

4. Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - $224 about the same wear and handling of the Yokohama's but you paying a premium over them (for no good reason).

I'm leaning towards trying the GS-D3 and next time the AVS E100.

Any thoughts?

-Ben
I'll add my thoughts if you don't mind:

GS-D3s are the best overall. The Yokos are not as good as is reflected in the tirerack surveys - the yokos tend to be purchased by people who aren't ready to spend the big bucks on the really good stuff - but they are typically much better than what they had previously, so they get good marks. Also, just a word to the wise, the Sport A/S's do NOT lock up near as well as the regular Sports. I don't believe the A/S's are as good, near as good, as the Sports when it comes to launching. They work well on my car because I need the A/S capability, and I don't have 395lbs of tq. However, they still have great roll resistance and handling characteristics, but unless you NEED A/S capability and NEED excellent wear, you will sacrifice with the A/S's....

Add: The SO-3s are much better than the Yokos in MHO...

#29 · (Edited)
Let me clairfy one thing -

Add to the list at the very top of this thread (non-EMT/RFT)

Falken (choice of 2 models in the proper size)
Toyo Proxes (the SCCA World Challenge spec tire)
Nitto

bc TireRack doesnt carry those I couldnt get him to offer up any opinions on them, but they should be worth checking out as well.

-Ben

#31 ·
urbanski said:
well since this is back to life...

what are you non-EMT buyers going to use as flat protection?

Buying the SRX 18s?
Gobs of that green tire stuff?
I dont think the SRX wheels will fit (hasnt this been discussed before?).

I (for the moment) plan to use the goop. I have already had a nail in my EMT cost me $40 to fix (instead of posted $20) @ Goodyear shop. I can't justify the cost/wear/poor wet performance associated with the EMT, and plan to buy a spare TPS just in case.

Current plan price 4xGS-D3 = $800 (incl delivery, factoring in the $75 rebate), plus the spare TPS (assume $80) and a bottle of goop (assume $10). Puts me <$900 plus mouting, balancing etc.

Replace with 4 Stock EMT's $1350 (delivered) plus moutning balancing, etc.

#35 ·
benjet said:
I dont think the SRX wheels will fit (hasnt this been discussed before?).

I (for the moment) plan to use the goop. I have already had a nail in my EMT cost me $40 to fix (instead of posted $20) @ Goodyear shop. I can't justify the cost/wear/poor wet performance associated with the EMT, and plan to buy a spare TPS just in case.

Current plan price 4xGS-D3 = $800 (incl delivery, factoring in the $75 rebate), plus the spare TPS (assume $80) and a bottle of goop (assume $10). Puts me <$900 plus mouting, balancing etc.

Replace with 4 Stock EMT's $1350 (delivered) plus moutning balancing, etc.
yep, been discussed, i think the offset was a bit off...I'm old and senile :)

so, some goop, a cig-lighter air pump, and non-EMTs and you'd be comfortable taking family trips in it?

thanks.

#37 ·
urbanski said:
yep, been discussed, i think the offset was a bit off...I'm old and senile :)

so, some goop, a cig-lighter air pump, and non-EMTs and you'd be comfortable taking family trips in it?

thanks.
Those items, along with OnStar and/or your cell phone for major blowouts.

I intend to go GS-D3's when it is time and carry goop and a pump. I suppose there is some risk to this approach, but I'm willing to live with it.

#43 ·
My Goodyear F1 GS-D3's arrived today, exactly 30 hours after I ordered them from Tire Rack. Pleasantly surprised that the 2-3 day delivery actually gets done in 1! I will be installing them tomorrow and will report my impressions. BTW, they look REALLY cool. :bouncy:

#45 ·
Goodyear (STOCK) Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar EMT (run flat) - $328

Bridgestone Potenza RE050 - $201
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 XL - $203
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (run flat) - $263
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - $224
Dunlop SP Sport 9000 - $201
Continental ContiSportContact 2 - $218
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - $208
Michelin Pilot Sport - $246
Michelin Pilot Sport XL - $268
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - $247
Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico - $215
Pirelli PZero System Direzionale - $216
Yokohama AVS ES100 - $168

Added to the above list:

NEXEN N3000
Goodyear Eagle RS-A
Goodyear Eagle F-1 (non-runflat, non-supercar)
Falken Falken Azenis ST115
Falken GR Beta FK-451
Toyo Proxes (the SCCA World Challenge spec tire) in both race and street versions
Nitto (choice of 2 models in the proper size)
Hankook Ventus Sport K104

I think there are even a few more...

#47 ·
wildwhl said:
Those items, along with OnStar and/or your cell phone for major blowouts.

I intend to go GS-D3's when it is time and carry goop and a pump. I suppose there is some risk to this approach, but I'm willing to live with it.
On my blow out of the Nitto I had on the front, I used OnStar and watched a DVD while the truck was in route. I would reccomed keeping a DVD in the car to watch during this wait. Amount I paid for the flat was zero, Onstar is still under teh free period, and the flat totaly destoryed the Nitto and Discount replace for free.

#48 ·
benjet said:
Corvette Article comparing S0-3, MPS (Mich Pilot Sport) and Goodyear GS-D3.

Some may find this vaulable or of interest - http://www.************************/kb/question.php?qstId=480
Only problem with that article is that it looks like most of the comparison was provided by Goodyear and perhaps too much of it was dependent on wet-weather performance.

What I hear from folks who've run the GS-D3 for a while is that it's got very good overall grip and it's very civilized but it's a little 'soft' - so the ride quality is very good but the turn-in isn't as crisp as the S-03 etc.

As a daily-driver tire it'd probably be my first choice, but I'd expect the Conti SportContact2, the S-03, and probably the PZero beat it for maximum dry-road grip.

#49 ·
OK, here goes. After reading all the tire threads on this website, I went back to my friend who runs the Goodyear store here by me. I ordered four Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. I told him that others on our website seemed to be abandoning the very pricey run-flats and finding various ways to create a spare tire and the room in the trunk for the spare by removing the annoying tub. A few people had mentioned buying a Mille Miglia 18x8 wheel for $249 from Tire Rack I believe. My buddy searched around and through a company called American Tire Distributors found a wheel made by Pacer that will work as a spare with one of my older OEM run flats (the one with a little tread left I guess). Anyway the Pacer wheel is model Pacer 272M Affinity and the price was $100. Apparently American Tire Distributors only works with Tire Dealers, so if you are buying your tires on your own I couldn't find anyone selling this wheel online. Meanwhile there is a $75 Goodyear rebate going on as well. Hope this is helpful.

David

#50 ·
drdsgolf,

Thanks for the post/update, seems like the logical chioce the GS-D3's. On the Pacer 272M Affinity I can only find that wheel in 18x7.5 which will NOT fit our tire size (rim is too narrow/width wise), if you DID manage to get it in 18x8 (and 6 lug), I'd be interested in hearing about it. The $75 rebate is on again off again, so timing is rather important. I'm leaning towards trying something else entirely just to be different (and I'll swap rides in a GS-D3 equiped V at somepoint). Right now my car continues to develop other issues which make tires a low priority.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.