Difference between early & late differentials - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Difference between early & late differentials in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by wgbanks I wonder if a 1st Gen diff is an acceptable core for a 3rd gen dif?? ...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Difference between early & late differentials

Quote Originally Posted by wgbanks View Post
    I wonder if a 1st Gen diff is an acceptable core for a 3rd gen dif??
    The website does not indicate otherwise. But it does beg the question - what would they want the core for? - there is no apparent secondary (rebuilt) market for these.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

well now, that is quite interesting. Mine was replaced 10/29/2008. The part number for the diff was 025873498 at $1884.51. So that means I have the 3rd gen diff? It looks absolutely identical to the "new" diff shown in the pictures in this thread.

I have about 3000 miles on this diff now with absolutely no howl or whine at all. And I have not exactly been easy on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    well now, that is quite interesting. Mine was replaced 10/29/2008. The part number for the diff was 025873498 at $1884.51. So that means I have the 3rd gen diff? It looks absolutely identical to the "new" diff shown in the pictures in this thread.

I have about 3000 miles on this diff now with absolutely no howl or whine at all. And I have not exactly been easy on it.
    Just more evidence that between the Generation III differential and the HE axles CTS-Vs may not be quite ready for the scrap heap yet.

I am keeping this car for the long haul. Unless my wife gets a good job and I hit that new Camaro SS (or there might be a maggie in my future)

And it seems that if I slip the clutch right, I can get off the line without any hop.
    I am still amazed by how many compliments I still get from this car. I get looks all the time at the gas station. And I KNOW they are not looking at me.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Yeah I am sure the Gen I is a fine core for the Gen III.
    I turn them back in for warranty so I can't swear to it but they can't expect a retail customer to know the difference.

Not sure about the part number, I just put them in, fill them up, and back them out.

Jimmy I want a Camaro so bad I can taste it, I built one on the vehicle configurator thing and I printed it out, got it right here to remind my wife what I want for my Birthday next year!

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Jimmy I want a Camaro so bad I can taste it, I built one on the vehicle configurator thing and I printed it out, got it right here to remind my wife what I want for my Birthday next year!
    Let me know how that works out for you; if you meet with success I will give that a try.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

She might help me with a downpayment... I suspect I'll have to pay the rest.
    I have pretty much given up job after job and spent every penny to take care of our family so she could get a nice cushy job.
    Now she's got it... I think maybe I deserve a lil sumthin'.... ya know?
    I miss my old '69 that I had when I met her.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Pretty much anything that was replaced after early 2008 should be the latest diff design.
    GM stock of the old one was used up pretty fast and I think they may have actually scrapped a bunch of them in favor of the newest.
    Hmm, I know you replaced mine in early May of '08. Looks like I have something else valuable if it comes to parting out mah V...

Sublime69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Hey guys im new to the forum and i was just wondering if there is a way to tell that the diff is on its way out?? Mine has a slight wine to it when im cruzin. Is there anything i can do to extend the life of it? Also do they warranty any of the rear ends ever??? And last, when people upgradeto the newer diff do they just by a whole new one from cadillac?

Thanks!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

A slight whine is fine.

Some have reported a slight wine cured by changing the fluids. Others have reported a louder whine afterwards. Some have said their replacement diff was worse the first. Others have had great luck.

Take your pick. In my case, I took my car in for a whine that was just loud enough to be heard at 50 mph with the windows down. I asked for a fluid change, they gave me a brand new diff.

Like many other things in life, the V is a crap shoot. But an extremely fun one

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime69 View Post
    Hey guys im new to the forum and i was just wondering if there is a way to tell that the diff is on its way out?? Mine has a slight wine to it when im cruzin. Is there anything i can do to extend the life of it? Also do they warranty any of the rear ends ever??? And last, when people upgradeto the newer diff do they just by a whole new one from cadillac?

Thanks!
    I see a new diff in my future, and it's on my nickel. But, the third gen diff seems like the berries, especially when combined with the DSS/H-E axles. Once there, my car's going 200k. My last mod will be to convert it to a hearse, and I'll take my last ride. I won't even care if it whines a bit.
    j_Son and j_Son like this.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

j_Son is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sorry guys I an a newb to some of this stuff so I appolagize if this is a stupid ? But I am a new v owner I have the 1st gen diff. I'm pushing about 430 to the wheel and am interested in doing much more, I'm just new to the diff controversy. Does the 3rd gen diff support much more hp? I feel it's a good idea to prepare the rear for more power before spending all my money on the power and cracking my diff.. Lol I have also come across a thread about the successfulness of getting the 8.8 diff fitted to the v. But dont like the cost of the kit and the fact that my b&b exhaust would need to be re-piped to fit it..? Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Quote Originally Posted by j_Son View Post
    Sorry guys I an a newb to some of this stuff so I appolagize if this is a stupid ? But I am a new v owner I have the 1st gen diff. I'm pushing about 430 to the wheel and am interested in doing much more, I'm just new to the diff controversy. Does the 3rd gen diff support much more hp? I feel it's a good idea to prepare the rear for more power before spending all my money on the power and cracking my diff.. Lol I have also come across a thread about the successfulness of getting the 8.8 diff fitted to the v. But dont like the cost of the kit and the fact that my b&b exhaust would need to be re-piped to fit it..? Anyone have any words of wisdom?
    The 3rd generation differentials will support more horsepower, but none of the OEM differentials will withstand abuse even with stock horsepower. Abuse in this case is defined as repeatedly driving through wheelhop episodes, hard launches, or power shifting-particularly with sticky tires (e.g. drag radials).

So if you are willing to either: (a) behave; or (b) limit misbehavior to "playing road racer" rather than "playing drag racer" you might get by with an OEM differential. The first generation differentials have been known to go many miles, even though those that were defective tended to grenade.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Where is Randy ? Did he quietly defect to V2¿.......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.