V under glass
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, V under glass in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I pulled the rear deck to get my tint done. Check out all of the stuff under there. Btw, that ...
    lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

V under glass

I pulled the rear deck to get my tint done. Check out all of the stuff under there. Btw, that Bose sub is pure garbage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: V under glass

The Bose sub is a Neodymium(sp?) reverse magnet sup, is it not? These aren't terrible - lightweight and somewhat efficient, definately compact. Certainly most aftermarket subs are superior. I see that you removed it - what do you plan to replace it with?

I just added a Kicker 8sl5 stashed in the spare tire location with a JBL BP300.1 as a test bed to augment the bottom end. Haven't really tuned it yet - but sounds substantially better. I left the Bose sub connected, but may try it without shortly.

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

hey, all I know is that you are Better Off with Something Else

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck C
    hey, all I know is that you are Better Off with Something Else
    yeah, I know. Still, this is the best Bose system I've had (4 previous and one other current car with Bose). As I already mentioned, upgrades are under way.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I didn't take you guys for the ghetto blaster types. Wild likes to crank up the Judy Collins at 500 watts and shake the windows of the Civics at stoplights.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

From looking that second picture shows where the onstar antenna plugs in.. correct? I am guessing that there is a jumper cable we can get (make, buy) to adapt to the new combined onstar antenna?

What did you do (proceedure) to remove the back deck and trunk lining?

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

and hey you left the back seat in there too, good show - they took mine out to get the deck panel out (but hey they are pro's - what do I know)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    I didn't take you guys for the ghetto blaster types. Wild likes to crank up the Judy Collins at 500 watts and shake the windows of the Civics at stoplights.
    Cal, you're close. Burt Bacarat! Actually, Tesla, Billy Joel, Collective Soul, Joe Satriani, CCR, etc. Pretty broad range of music taste in my vehicle.

I do like to improve on most sound systems but prefer to do so in a stealth manner such that you cannot see the changes, and your fellow drivers are not annoyed by them. Sound quality, not sound quantity, is the name of the game in my book.

Bose systems can often be upgraded for only minor expense/tweaking and the results are somtimes quite amazing. The system in my wife's previous car, a 2000 Maxima SE, only needed a swap out of the front factory tweeters and I added a hidden JLAudio 6" sub in the trunk with a small 150 watt amp. The system sounded twice as good, IMHO, at ALL volumes, but most especially at normal listening volumes (i.e. half volume).

I don't believe in trashing factory systems when they are well integrated into the vehicle, such the way that this system is in the V.

Remember, those of you that are attempting to modify your electronics - K.I.S.S. will make your life a ton easier. The V does NOT need a pair of 12's in the trunk - remember - you're going to pay money for those headers and exhaust so that you can HEAR THE ENGINE - not drown it out with muddy, overpowered bass tones.

trekster is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V R.I.P.

Bose is a joke with their paper drivers. But, then again the system doesn't sound that bad and I rather here the sound of the V.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beast
    Bose is a joke with their paper drivers. But, then again the system doesn't sound that bad and I rather here the sound of the V.
    Agreed, the Bose drivers are usually some of the cheapest crap around. The V system does sound pretty good, though. I've had excellent results in replacing some or all of the drivers before in Bose systems - but wouldn't recommend random selection. I have the advantage of access to a real world speaker designer that has all of the proper tools to test and measure driver performance. Before he finished school to become a E.E. he designed raw drivers for a living. He's quite knowledgable and been very good at finding the deficiencies in my previous vehicles.

Like I said, it usually just takes a few tweaks and minor cost at driver replacement for substantial improvements. Once I go that route with my V - I'll post my recommendations on the Forum for everyone's benefit.

Just because it is paper, doesn't make it crap! I'm a commercial print shop owner - what do you think I pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for each year! Some of that paper is pretty darn sweet...but I digress.

trekster is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl
    Agreed, the Bose drivers are usually some of the cheapest crap around. The V system does sound pretty good, though. I've had excellent results in replacing some or all of the drivers before in Bose systems - but wouldn't recommend random selection. I have the advantage of access to a real world speaker designer that has all of the proper tools to test and measure driver performance. Before he finished school to become a E.E. he designed raw drivers for a living. He's quite knowledgable and been very good at finding the deficiencies in my previous vehicles.

Like I said, it usually just takes a few tweaks and minor cost at driver replacement for substantial improvements. Once I go that route with my V - I'll post my recommendations on the Forum for everyone's benefit.

Just because it is paper, doesn't make it crap! I'm a commercial print shop owner - what do you think I pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for each year! Some of that paper is pretty darn sweet...but I digress.
    of course not some paper is really high in quality. Just not bose's

Actually, Im putting in a 10" peerless sub. Nothing fancy but good for 200 watts.

The V stereo is OK but has no depth. Sooo while im at it I am going to get a high level line input sub amp to power the sub. THis way I get some sorely needed bass without aborting the OEM system.

Removal... the key is the little Air Bag label in the middle of the pillar cover.
    Carefully pry it off. I broke the tangs on one.There is a hex screw at the bottom. If you look ath the pix of the white airbag you will see the hex screw in place.Remove the screw and the pillar covers come off.(they also have some clips). THe deck cover has tabs that stick out in the back to hold it down. Behind the seat is a steel brace. Take off the 4 nuts that secure it. The seat back will come far enough forward for you to get at 2 black push pins at the extreme end of the top of the seat. Pop them out. Lace the seatbelt thru the hole and disconnect from the buckle first. Really not much too it. Lift the deck cover op and out The seat doesent have to come out.
    I went with 30% film.

By the way, the magnet on that sub is about 1.5" in diameter and 1.5" tall approx. This driver is seeing very little power. It was made special as to not interfere with the trunk space. I would guess that it can handle 20-30W tops.

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    Removal... the key is the little Air Bag label in the middle of the pillar cover.
    Carefully pry it off. I broke the tangs on one.There is a hex screw at the bottom. If you look ath the pix of the white airbag you will see the hex screw in place.Remove the screw and the pillar covers come off.(they also have some clips). THe deck cover has tabs that stick out in the back to hold it down. Behind the seat is a steel brace. Take off the 4 nuts that secure it. The seat back will come far enough forward for you to get at 2 black push pins at the extreme end of the top of the seat. Pop them out. Lace the seatbelt thru the hole and disconnect from the buckle first. Really not much too it. Lift the deck cover op and out The seat doesent have to come out.
    I went with 30% film.
    Actually (and don't break the covers doing this) I was able to remove mine without pulling off the ABS tag cover. There are clips to the mount prior to that - just be careful. I pulled mine off for rerouting of the OnStar cable...but have instead left it setting on my rear deck until a suitable replacement is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    By the way, the magnet on that sub is about 1.5" in diameter and 1.5" tall approx. This driver is seeing very little power. It was made special as to not interfere with the trunk space. I would guess that it can handle 20-30W tops.
    is there another amp inline with the subwoofer? The Bose amp that lies behind the trunk lining on the driver's side has the sub-out wires at a much smaller gauge than those that are attached to the sub driver itself. I'm wondering if there is an amp inline somewhere (the bose in my previous cars usually used an amp, labelled at 100 watts but more likely about 30 watts RMS, inline with the subs, sometimes attached directly to inside a black plastic housing)?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.