New Tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New Tires in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Okay, here is the problem. I have about 4K miles on my V and both back tires are gone. On ...
    Clintonwmills is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

New Tires

Okay, here is the problem. I have about 4K miles on my V and both back tires are gone. On almost ever indicator it meets the tire. In rain it slides around in 2nd gear at 10 mph (really a lot of fun!) Now in my defense it is pretty hard to burn the tires out. I know that most people that use their tires in the first couple thousand miles usually do some good clutch drops. Both tires are equally worn. I would have though that the back right tire would be much worse then the back left from wheel hop. I figured all that jerking on that back wheel would ware it out.

So a quick recap, if I thought about getting bigger tires on the back i.e 285, I do not remember if this was even possible. I think I recall it not being possible? I love my V rims, I do not want to switch those. If I go bigger to a 285 I would want an after market tire that matched the look. But if I stay at the 245 I do not want to buy tires ever 4K miles. I am not going to change my driving habits. So is there a tire that can fit my needs?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

oceanhut is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

Re: New Tires

The only problem with going bigger in only the back would be an increase in understeer (correct me if Im wrong.) However, if you never track the car, there really shouldnt be a large concern for understeer. As for the wear and tear of the tires-- I would think runflats, because of their stiffness, would last longer than a softer larger tire.
    As for your driving habits: I would imagine the clutch drops will begin to lose their novelty after awhile. Granted, they are fun (I actualy dont do them too much because Im not a fan of beating the car (although I know it can handle it)) but I would imagine that after a while you'll treat the car like a daily driver with the capabilities to rip..... but maybe not

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Clinton,

First, you have (had) the opportunity to rotate the tires... that would have extended their life quite a bit.

If you change to a different tread tire, you would want to do that at all four corners. I'm not convinced there is much to gain from trying to fit a wider tire on the factory rim.... the tire and rim widths are arranged to keep the tread located well during cornering.

I'm not convinced you can go much larger in the back anyhow, without significant investment, even if you wanted to buy new wheels/tires.

At this point you can either replace with the same tires in back, or switch out all four to something cheaper (and perhaps slightly better)... One of our boardmembers, Cal, has gone to Michelins.... although you will give up the runflat ability.

Hope it helps.

Dan

I don't mind not having run flats. Going to the same tire is nto an option. They wear to fast. I wonder how the Michelins do?

Trilio is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am looking for a tire to be used just for those few days I run at very high speed at Road America [ if and when the oil temp issue is resolved ]. I will use the run flats on the street and have them as emergency spares for the track. Any one know of a good forged ie lighter. stronger wheel available for our lug pattern and appropiate tire combo? I am not opposed to going larger all the way around if it does not add weight over the originals.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Clintonwmills
    Okay, here is the problem. I have about 4K miles on my V and both back tires are gone. On almost ever indicator it meets the tire. In rain it slides around in 2nd gear at 10 mph (really a lot of fun!) Now in my defense it is pretty hard to burn the tires out. I know that most people that use their tires in the first couple thousand miles usually do some good clutch drops. Both tires are equally worn. I would have though that the back right tire would be much worse then the back left from wheel hop. I figured all that jerking on that back wheel would ware it out.

So a quick recap, if I thought about getting bigger tires on the back i.e 285, I do not remember if this was even possible. I think I recall it not being possible? I love my V rims, I do not want to switch those. If I go bigger to a 285 I would want an after market tire that matched the look. But if I stay at the 245 I do not want to buy tires ever 4K miles. I am not going to change my driving habits. So is there a tire that can fit my needs?

Thanks
    Your wheels are 8.5" wide. 285/xx tires will be too wide for that size rim. 245/45 are a good fit and will profide the best handling characteristics based on the fitment on an 8.5" wheel.

The F-1s are notorious for wearing out quickly. Yes, they are runflats, but their tread compound is extremely soft, and heats up quickly and get's sticky quickly. Driving over 70mph probably wears them out more than the occasional burnout (hopout? ). What pressure are you running?

Probably the best tire in the bunch that will give you decent treadlife, probably better overall handling (in wet especially), and are light on the pocketbook to boot are the Eagle F1 GSD3s. The GSD3s put down a ton of contact patch and they are especially known for their launching grip. Stay away from the Potenza RE's (horrible treadwear) though the S0-3s are okay...
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    Your wheels are 8.5" wide. 285/xx tires will be too wide for that size rim. 245/45 are a good fit and will profide the best handling characteristics based on the fitment on an 8.5" wheel.

The F-1s are notorious for wearing out quickly. Yes, they are runflats, but their tread compound is extremely soft, and heats up quickly and get's sticky quickly. Driving over 70mph probably wears them out more than the occasional burnout (hopout? ). What pressure are you running?

Probably the best tire in the bunch that will give you decent treadlife, probably better overall handling (in wet especially), and are light on the pocketbook to boot are the Eagle F1 GSD3s. The GSD3s put down a ton of contact patch and they are especially known for their launching grip. Stay away from the Potenza RE's (horrible treadwear) though the S0-3s are okay...
    That seems like a good fit. But if you said they wear at 70mph why are the front perfect? How much fro 4 est?

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Cal, 265's and 275's require a 9"+ rim although Im sure you could sneak a 265 -40R-18 on them. The spedo would only be off 1.3%. No issue. I am probably going to go with the 255/45R18's on the rear. 40's just ride too hard for my taste. BRidgestones are my pick as they make no noise and ride nice.

That seems like a good fit. But if you said they wear at 70mph why are the front perfect? How much fro 4 est?
    That was kind of a joke. But your rears will always wear out faster simply because that's where the torque is, whether starting from a stop, or cruising at 70mph. There is no rotational force in the front.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by globed70
    Cal, has gone to Michelins.... although you will give up the runflat ability.
    From what I recently read on the Michelin web site they now have the Pilot Sport in a run flat as well. Will need to look into it further...

-Ben

P.S. I've heard some negative reviews from ppl I know personally (not online) about performance driving and the NEW Pilot Sport PS/2 - they recommended to stick with the older style (which is still plentifully available).

I got off the phone with Mallett and he said you can have 275 on the back, no problem with the same suspense. He seems to know what he is talking about. Does anyone disagree with him? Also to fix the wheel hop he said you use a tension bar, and it does not have to do with the shocks?? He said he won’t sell that until October, but you get it with his 16K package! If he has fixed it, and I know he has, why isn’t there a solid solution for everyone? Thoughts?

I got off the phone with Mallett and he said you can have 275 on the back, no problem with the same suspense. He seems to know what he is talking about. Does anyone disagree with him?
    Well, I professionally disagree with him .

99% of 275/40R18 tires have a minimum recommended width of 9" with 9.5"-10" recommended. If you put too large of a tire on too small of a rim, they look horrible and handle horrible. What you end up doing is pulling the sidewall in and creating a roll effect when cornering. You just will not get a good, reliable seat on the wheel. I've been a wheel and tire fanatic for a long time, and it's not something I would even consider. The handling you lose alone would negate me from doing it.

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Hoosier agrees w/Ron:

If you find that your vehicle, or the rules, will not allow a wide enough wheel for the tire you think you would like, consider using a narrower tire. In most cases a properly sized wheel/tire combination will outperform a wider tire on a wheel that is too narrow.

With that said... the Potenza 050 is spec'd for an 8.5" rim... (that's the tire the Enzo runs!).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...=Potenza+RE050

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    From what I recently read on the Michelin web site they now have the Pilot Sport in a run flat as well. Will need to look into it further...

-Ben

P.S. I've heard some negative reviews from ppl I know personally (not online) about performance driving and the NEW Pilot Sport PS/2 - they recommended to stick with the older style (which is still plentifully available).
    Oh, maybe I won't advocate those. Those were looking to be my purchase once I burn through these. I have the Pilot Sport XL (245) which I believe is Y-rated and they are great. Help with handling a lot and possibly with a bit of wheel hop, but it is really hard to compare especially since I have FG2 now also. If you don't get the XL which I believe is a somewhat softer tire they are around $260 and change at tire rack, and the ones I got were around $280 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    With that said... the Potenza 050 is spec'd for an 8.5" rim... (that's the tire the Enzo runs!).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...=Potenza+RE050
    Man, I hate to burst a bubble , but I usually go with the manufacturers info rather than Tire Racks. Bridgestone's website says 9"-11":

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/s...productid=1063
    (at the very bottom, second to last)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.