New Tires - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New Tires in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'm in the same boat, just turning 4,000 miles today, and my tires are at about 45-50% tread remaining on ...
    wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: New Tires

I'm in the same boat, just turning 4,000 miles today, and my tires are at about 45-50% tread remaining on the rear. I'm going to rotate this weekend.

I've been thinking, though, what about 255/45/18 when I do replace them (rear only). Anybody see any problem with this? What I was thinking is having a "track set" with 245 front and 255 rear and my "street set" with something less sticky with 245 all around. I've already built my little inserts for the spare tire compartment to hold the tire goop and inflater, along with a single Kicker 8sl5...but that's another story (sorry, no photos yet).

In other words, the run flat thing isn't entirely important to me right now. I'd just like some great handling and maybe about 10,000 miles per set of tires (yes, I've practiced wheel hop and am sure this and 2nd gear are why my tires are missing their life span - not to mention the tireshredding I did during AutoX last weekend).

So, again, any reason we can't go 255/45/18 on the stock wheels in the rear?

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Man, I hate to burst a bubble
    Checked that site too big guy...

That tire is the runflat, look second from the top...

So, again, any reason we can't go 255/40/18 on the stock wheels in the rear?
    Shouldn't be a problem mixing 245 and 255... that's within the limits of the StabiliTrak (though i'm basing this on Z06 algorithms, haven't tried it myself on a V) - it'll change when it kicks in just a little.

I assume you dont mean mixing tire brands, i.e. stock 245 and some other 255

Update: Opps, my comments above are for 255/45/18... which is 0.3" taller.

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    Checked that site too big guy...

That tire is the runflat, look second from the top...
    Yeah, you got me there , but I still think 8.5" is too small for a 275/40 tire.
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl
    I'm in the same boat, just turning 4,000 miles today, and my tires are at about 45-50% tread remaining on the rear. I'm going to rotate this weekend.

I've been thinking, though, what about 255/40/18 when I do replace them (rear only). Anybody see any problem with this? What I was thinking is having a "track set" with 245 front and 255 rear and my "street set" with something less sticky with 245 all around. I've already built my little inserts for the spare tire compartment to hold the tire goop and inflater, along with a single Kicker 8sl5...but that's another story (sorry, no photos yet).

In other words, the run flat thing isn't entirely important to me right now. I'd just like some great handling and maybe about 10,000 miles per set of tires (yes, I've practiced wheel hop and am sure this and 2nd gear are why my tires are missing their life span - not to mention the tireshredding I did during AutoX last weekend).

So, again, any reason we can't go 255/40/18 on the stock wheels in the rear?
    255/40R18 is about .6" shorter than the factory 245/45R18s. It will fit, but I think you might notice the size difference...That is unless you run it all the way around, which you could do, or even run 225/45 up front (though 8.5" is really too wide for a 225/45 tire)...
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

Opps, my comments in the post above are for 255/45/18... which is 0.3" taller.

I'm not sure if 255/40/18 will work so well... first the rear will be smaller than your fronts.

And the limit for the traction/handling system on the Z06 is 0.7" - difference in diameter between front and rear tires, relative to stock - before the system shorts throwing code. (i.e. rear can be 0.7" taller than stock front; or increase front diameter 0.3", then you can increase rear by 1", etc.) - not considering how much the speedo will be off here.
    So with 255/40, you'll be pretty close to the limit.

Clinton, what about just running cheaper 245/45 tires all the way around?

Something in a "Ultra high performance" category, not "Max performance". Dont know how much this will hurt handling / traction... of course it wont be like an S03 or Pilot, but compared to the runflats... might not be too bad.

Dunlop SP8000s & Yokohama AVS ES100 are ~$160/tire... less than half the stockers... and rotate often.

Trilio, get in touch with CCW... http://www.ccwheel.com/ and ask if they make their *race* wheels for the V, I think they do. Cant touch that wheel for strength and weight ~$450 a wheel.

Clintonwmills is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by miscreant
    Well, I professionally disagree with him .

99% of 275/40R18 tires have a minimum recommended width of 9" with 9.5"-10" recommended. If you put too large of a tire on too small of a rim, they look horrible and handle horrible. What you end up doing is pulling the sidewall in and creating a roll effect when cornering. You just will not get a good, reliable seat on the wheel. I've been a wheel and tire fanatic for a long time, and it's not something I would even consider. The handling you lose alone would negate me from doing it.
    No he said a 275 with 9" would fit. New rim.

WhiteLightning is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi all...

Just an fyi...

I'm running 255/45-18 all around. I couldn't stand the runflats. Pirelli PZeros.

I really like them.

WL

WhiteL: I thought you posted that they rub in front just a little... exactly where / how do they rub?

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Whoops, that was a typo above. I meant 255/45/18...just wanted to be a touch wider and could live with filling the wheel well up a tad.

My bad...

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

That is the size im going for in the Bridgestones. About 3/8" wider and a hair taller. I should have my wheel by the end of this month. Brushed centers, polished outers.

WhiteLightning is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Dreamin-

They rub on the fender skirt. The big black plastic thing. No big deal. Only when I bottom out on something.

WL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.