Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; It is the ground to the frame/body. There is another battery ground right next to cylinder #7 (passenger side). Glad ...
    heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

re: Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98).

It is the ground to the frame/body.

There is another battery ground right next to cylinder #7 (passenger side).

Glad it worked for ya!

Heavy strikes again.

Science triumphs over superstition!

SuperVeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

All these bogus temp numbers are pretty scary not knowing if we are cooking the motor or not. I know on my aircooled cars with dino oil if I ever reach 250 I have to turn it off or risk bearing damage by going higher.

After my V hit 285 the dealer said it was a bad sensor and replaced it.

I am picking up my V today and I have yet to find anyone at the dealer that can give me a straight answer on what the maximum oil temp should be for the V.

Anyone know?

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Anybody know what ground the oil pressure uses?

Oil pressure sensor uses the ground on the back of the head.

However, that may not "fix" the problem as a bad ground to the frame may set off the reference voltage used in the PCM so you may still get errant readings.

If you can use a DVM, connect one lead to the battery negative and then measure the voltage drop (in millivolts) at the HEAD of the bolt (usually a 15mm) securing the ground connection..

Should be less then 50 millivolts with everything on (lights, A/C).

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SuperVeee View Post
    I have yet to find anyone at the dealer that can give me a straight answer on what the maximum oil temp should be for the V.

Anyone know?
    The V is no different than any other engine, in that it's pretty hard to define what exactly the highest allowable temperature is. Somewhere in the 280-300F sustained temperatures at the bearings is probably not good, as even good synthetic oils are going to start breaking down somewhere in that range.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Oil pressure sensor uses the ground on the back of the head.

However, that may not "fix" the problem as a bad ground to the frame may set off the reference voltage used in the PCM so you may still get errant readings.

If you can use a DVM, connect one lead to the battery negative and then measure the voltage drop (in millivolts) at the HEAD of the bolt (usually a 15mm) securing the ground connection..

Should be less then 50 millivolts with everything on (lights, A/C).
    Thanks heavy

T/J over

calicadi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Fixing that ground really made a difference. Ambient today was 107. Oil never got above 222 in stop&go. Now this could be psychological but I think all the guages are reading different and steadier, and my wife says I'm better looking and my breath has never been fresher. Thanks again!

I am very glad that this "fix" seems to solve a lot of the errant problems.

The "acid test" is to have everything on full blast and see if you get alarms to go off.

I think your 107degs and stable readings is the proof it works.

The best proof would be no alarms at the track.

calicadi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Ditto that range from http://www.azautomasters.com/

They do all the work on my V I can't do. Here in the desert, theytell me they do a share of dry sump conversions for their vette customers.

p.s. I use nothing but Redline... engine, trans and diff. Everything's holding up well and still on original diff.

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    The V is no different than any other engine, in that it's pretty hard to define what exactly the highest allowable temperature is. Somewhere in the 280-300F sustained temperatures at the bearings is probably not good, as even good synthetic oils are going to start breaking down somewhere in that range.

SuperVeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I have produced rod knock bearing damage at 260 oil temp on another car. Confirmed the gauge and sensor were only a couple of degrees off on that car so high oil temps really make me sweat.

Even with synthetic oil I saw 285 just before I dropped at the dealer. I just found out from the dealer that my sensor was off in the V and it was replaced. Now sitting in traffic with AC on and 95 air temp I never got over 230. So the sensor was about 50 degrees off. Nice that I don't have to freak out now although I still watch the oil temp more than the speedometer.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I did the star washers on the fender/chassis ground and the passenger side head ground last night. Sanded some paint off the fender one, and sprayed Caig PreservIt contact cleaner/preserver on both. I most likely won't drive the car until Sunday as I head to Summit Point, and then Monday will be the true trial by fire. At past track days I've pegged the oil temp gauge at 329F within probably 10min or so each session, so I'm curious to see if fixing this issue is/was as simple as improving the contact for those two grounds.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Me to.

Hope it works out for ya.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

I did the star washers on the fender/chassis ground and the passenger side head ground last night. Sanded some paint off the fender one, and sprayed Caig PreservIt contact cleaner/preserver on both. I most likely won't drive the car until Sunday as I head to Summit Point, and then Monday will be the true trial by fire. At past track days I've pegged the oil temp gauge at 329F within probably 10min or so each session, so I'm curious to see if fixing this issue is/was as simple as improving the contact for those two grounds.
    Looking forward to hearing about your results. And check it on the highway, that's when mine gets bad.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend

Heavy was 100% right... We fixed the grounds and my temp went from running in the 300s and dinging like a mofo to 200s-220s SIMPLY by fixing the ground on the back of the heads and the right part of the engine bay...

KUDOS TO HIM for finding this and saving me a headache (I was about to drain oil and start replacing sensors!). When it comes to electrical, heavy is my guy!

Reed-out.

Aw shucks it was nutin

YOUR WELCOME.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.