Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Here are two shots of a few of the ground connections on the back of the heads. Oil pressure sensor ...
    heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

re: Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98).

Here are two shots of a few of the ground connections on the back of the heads.

Oil pressure sensor is visible just above the purple paint dot.

One connection I redid as they are all pretty lame.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

So, I finally got off my ass and was going to trace the oil temp sensor wiring myself and see if there's anything I can do to fix the weird readings I get - but I can't find the damn sensor! I have the FSM, and it has a nice blown up diagram in the front of the 5.7L Engine section, and another diagram in the "Replacing the oil temperature gage sensor" section, both of which show the oil temp sensor is right above the oil filter. Not on my car it ain't! So where is the thing? I found the oil level sensor, the coolant temp sensor, and the oil pressure sensor, all right where the FSM shows they should be, but no oil temp sensor.

Can anyone help me out on this? I've got a track event this weekend and I'd like to see if I can fix the issue; running it at the track would be a great litmus test.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

It is part of the level sensor.

Two functions in one.

Thanks, heavy, much appreciate it. I'll go back under the car tomorrow to see what I can see.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Your welcome.

If you have a DVM you can measure the resistance from the black ground wire to the battery negative.

It may be higher then what it is supposed to be indicating a funky ground.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    If you have a DVM you can measure the resistance from the black ground wire to the battery negative.

It may be higher then what it is supposed to be indicating a funky ground.
    Yeah, that's the plan. Gonna have to grow some longer arms to do it, I think.

I also want to see how the ground changes (or if it changes) when I turn on the A/C. I still get a temperature spike as soon as I turn on the A/C, and an instantaneous drop when I turn it back off.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quick update:
    Not a solution but it helps a bit. The first thing, I got from Jesse. When the oil temp is going nuts, turn down the dimmer (overhead). That was good for 20-30* on my car.
    The second worked much better for me. Ground on the driver side rear of the head. It's a 15mm bolt. The contact didn't look bad at all, but I cleaned it, the bolt, and the head with a wire brush. Went for a long drive Sunday. It was warm and humid. Had A/C lights, wipers and fog lights on. Temp did not go over 255, usually around 240 or lower. On my car, when I have more accessories on the voltage drops. This is when I get the oil temp gong. It happened two weeks ago in similar conditions to Sunday. But after cleaning that ground, I couldn't make it go near 300 if I tried.
    Just an FYI

Tony

I helped Reed with the same problem(s) as the hot weather is starting to return (and so are the alarms).

The culprit in his case turned out to be the ground right under the hood support and very easy to get at.

Reading a DVM from the bolt head to battery negative showed almost 1/2 volt! (450 mv).

We removed the 15 mm bolt, added a 3/8" "star" washer (between lug and frame) and the voltage dropped to less then 50 mv.

All the problems vanished.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Quick update:
    Not a solution but it helps a bit. The first thing, I got from Jesse. When the oil temp is going nuts, turn down the dimmer (overhead). That was good for 20-30* on my car.
    Wow, I don't think I would've ever thought to try that one! I'll have to give that a shot next time I'm out, particularly on track. At this weekend's track event, with a new, freshly routed ground (done by Lindsay per the IPC that is supposed to fix the issue) + a new sensor (installed by me), my oil temps would still peg high at 329F during every session.

I did have a Vette guy at my last track event suggest I should remove the FRCs. Unfortunately, he recommended that after I had already done my last run for that event, so I wasn't able to get a back-to-back comparison. However, it seemed that oil temp was slower to rise to 329F and quicker to come back down at this weekend's event, despite the ambient temps being about 10F higher.

I'll have to do some more ground checking on mine. Thanks to both of you for some good places to start looking.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Went out last night. It was a cool night with A/C on. Oil temps were in the 220s.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

Geez, this is like lucas wiring bad. A late model car shouldn't have all these grounding issues...

814V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 PLATINUM CTS-V

just like in top gear "it bongs for everything" i cant handle it anymore!! i need to get off my ass and take care of this.

calicadi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Props to all those who never gave up on electricals.

This bracket is painted and is the batt ground. I guess it works OK just passing voltage through the bolt... for awhile. I removed the bolt (15mm), scraped the paint off the bracket in the area of the ring connector, cleaned the ring connector, added a star washer and bolted it back up. (Hint: Have your key fob handy. Reconnecting the bolt will cause the theft alarm to go off.) Haven't done a full test drive yet but I'll bet this cures my problem.

I had abnormally high oil temps way back when and my '04 got the instrument cluster reflash in Aug '04 when the bulletin first came out. No oil temp probs since until recently. I moved to AZ in 2009 and no oil temp problems until several weeks ago. On the first day of hot weather this year, started getting temps > 299 and lots of bongs. I was a little puzzled given no problems the prior year. I attributed the behavior to lots of stop & go driving on that particular day. This Friday I noticed the guage reading erratically, jumping up and down several degrees, though never hitting the alarm level. Given this is AZ, thought an oil cooler would be prudent. In researching the cooler in the forum, came across this string.

Just got in from making the repair and wanted to give my thanks. Still going to get an oil cooler, this is Arizona after all, but now at least the guage should be accurate!

P.S. Did the power steering cooler beef-up per FAQ last year. Works like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    I helped Reed with the same problem(s) as the hot weather is starting to return (and so are the alarms).

The culprit in his case turned out to be the ground right under the hood support and very easy to get at.

Reading a DVM from the bolt head to battery negative showed almost 1/2 volt! (450 mv).

We removed the 15 mm bolt, added a 3/8" "star" washer (between lug and frame) and the voltage dropped to less then 50 mv.

All the problems vanished.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Quote Originally Posted by calicadi View Post
    P.S. Did the power steering cooler beef-up per FAQ last year. Works like a champ.
    Wow..where did you find that Mocal unit. They stopped making it. I wound up with the bigger one.

calicadi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Ordered the Fluidyne cooler from Summit, part # FLD-FHP-10026, many moons ago when living in Cali. Had planned on tracking the car. Wound up never doing more than autocrossing. Boiled the fluid on one real hot day autocrossing, but otherwise didn't need the extra cooling and it gathered dust in the garage until I moved here. Could be I got one of the very last available. Sorry to set false hope!

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    Wow..where did you find that Mocal unit. They stopped making it. I wound up with the bigger one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.