Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; what is the most up to date TSB number on this issue that I should tell my dealer to reference? ...
    jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

re: Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98).

what is the most up to date TSB number on this issue that I should tell my dealer to reference?

Mine's a 2005... the info here seems to indicate this only happens on 2004 models??? http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/oilguage.html

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jclayc View Post
    what is the most up to date TSB number on this issue that I should tell my dealer to reference?

Mine's a 2005... the info here seems to indicate this only happens on 2004 models??? http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/oilguage.html
    I subscirbe to the Technical Service Bulletins from Alldata for the 2005 V. I have reviewed those and find none for the 2005. The 2004 TSB behind your link was specific to a certain VIN series so it appear that particular cause is non-recurring. Thus, the problem in a 2005 is presumably from the causes covered in the Service Manual which includes the ususal suspects - sensor, the grounding, or the wiring.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Went on a longer ride today (about 30 mins), had the AC off most of the time. Coolant temp was a little under 200, and the oil temp was around 220.
    The last few miles, I hit traffic. Turned on the AC, voltage dropped from 13.6 to 13.3. The oil temp jumped up about 15. For the last 10-15 mins of the trip the oil temp was high 220s to mid 230s, but pretty steady. Jumping up and down a few degrees. I'll probably have the AC on the whole way home, so that'll give us a pretty good test.

Guys, check your voltage, if you have this problem or not. I'm trying to figure out if they are related. At startup mine charges up to 14.3. But after a while drops down to mid 13s. AC on, it goes to low 13s.

Tony

w07364 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I agree it sounds like a grounding issue but I also thing an oil cooler is good insurance regardless.

I picked one up from TPIS with stainless lines and the oil filter boss adapter. It was an easy install, looks factory, and dropped my oil temp ~35 degrees. It usually hangs at 195 degrees now.

I went to Brogan Cadillac on 46 in Totowa - described the problem, told them that I thought it was a grounding issue. I told them that, after running for 10 minutes, the oil temp swung drastically rather than generally complaining that it was "running hot".

It's fixed. Yea! The service order says "Poor Ground As Per P.I. #2034644, Run Wire From Low Oil Sender to G200 as Per P.I."

Since they performed this service, my oil temp hasn't gone over 212.

Hope this helps someone!

vseries is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2013 ATS Turbo

I went to Brogan Cadillac on 46 in Totowa - described the problem, told them that I thought it was a grounding issue. I told them that, after running for 10 minutes, the oil temp swung drastically rather than generally complaining that it was "running hot".

It's fixed. Yea! The service order says "Poor Ground As Per P.I. #2034644, Run Wire From Low Oil Sender to G200 as Per P.I."

Hope this helps someone!
    The low oil sender is not related to the temp sender??

If one of the three wires is a ground going to the sensor maybe that lead should be rewired directly to the block or negative terminal on battery?

And if one more person recommends a cooler , were trying to solve an electrical issue here!

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

Hope this helps someone!

Hey, thanks for the post. I'm right by Brogan and might go and do this. It has been bothering me like crazy since summer started. Even disconnected it just for V-day (thank god). It's still disconnected. If you don't mind me asking, when did you get this service done? Was it recent?

JUst to confirm. They added a ground to the sensor on the oil pan?

I agree with NOT running an oil cooler. I don't want my oil too cold. You might go from an annoying electrical issue to a big mechanical problem.

They performed this service on Friday, July 10th.

I haven't gotten up under the car to look around at what they did yet, so I don't know the answer to the question "They added a ground to the sensor on the oil pan?" All I know so far is what's written on the service slip they gave me.

FYI - saw a silver V from NY there the same day I was picking mine up

CtsVrod is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V / 06 Escalade

Hmmm.... Would love to know more details... I might shoot this over to my Service Advisor and see what he thinks

dmilamj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V Platinum

...It's fixed. Yea! The service order says "Poor Ground As Per P.I. #2034644, Run Wire From Low Oil Sender to G200 as Per P.I."

Hope this helps someone!
    It's starting to get warm here in H-town, and the bong is back! Did you ever figure out exactly what they did? If you could check out the wiring and let us know, it would be most appreciated.

I was wondering when this thread was gonna pop up again lol
    Been lazy, but I'm gonna run another ground to the sensor. Let you guys know how it works.

Tony

dmilamj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    I was wondering when this thread was gonna pop up again lol
    Been lazy, but I'm gonna run another ground to the sensor. Let you guys know how it works.

Tony
    Take some pictures and let us know how it goes.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    I agree with NOT running an oil cooler. I don't want my oil too cold. You might go from an annoying electrical issue to a big mechanical problem.
    A proper oil cooler setup has a oil-stat to keep oil temps up where they should be.

And I really need to get off my ass and see about properly grounding my sensor, as I still get some unusual/incorrect high readings, despite having the dealer TSB "fix" done a year or two ago.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

814V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 PLATINUM CTS-V

My car has been acting up with this issue lately.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.