Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Mine comes on whenever I have the A/C running. Just wanna know where the damn sensor is. I saw something ...
    Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

re: Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98).

Mine comes on whenever I have the A/C running. Just wanna know where the damn sensor is. I saw something on the pass side of the oil pan. Could that be it?

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

mine drives me crazy! 2005 LS6, if the outside temp is 70 or above and I drive for 10 minutes, the temp is up to high 200s. If there's traffic, I commonly peg it out at 329 with an oil pressure of around 24psi and water temp of around 210. The oil temp will jump from 329 to 266 back to 293, etc. within seconds.

I haven't gotten a dealer to look at it for me yet. I need to look up the TSB numbers and hope that'll point them in the right direction.

Any other advice?

CtsVrod is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V / 06 Escalade

Yep AC is a main culprit...I have NO clue what the problem is (except its electrical).. I had the TSB done by two different dealers, and had everything replaced from the sensor back to the car, and it still does it!! I notice in traffic that when I take my foot off the brake it goes down a little - then re-apply and it goes back up, even when I press both windows up, it goes up!!

I wish I could just unplug it as well. I really dont need this info, and I see the Water Temp, and Oil Press are fine.

Unplugged mine. Didn't drive it yet, but when you start the car, you get "check oil level" on the nav. Hit OK, and it seems to go away.
    I checked the oil level, and it was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Unplugged mine. Didn't drive it yet, but when you start the car, you get "check oil level" on the nav. Hit OK, and it seems to go away.
    I checked the oil level, and it was fine.
    Hmmm... If thats works, Ill be doing that as well. Let me know how it works!

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

So have we come to the final conclusion that the sensor is wrong? I mean don't get me wrong, the dinging is annoying as hell, but sometimes I wonder if my oil is really 300+ degrees. It's not right...its the sensor thats messed up? Is there any way to make sure this is the case? My oil pressure and engine temp are usually fine so I usually assume the best. Still kind of worries me a bit though, naturally

Quote Originally Posted by CtsVrod View Post
    Hmmm... If thats works, Ill be doing that as well. Let me know how it works!
    Just got back from a short ride. At startup, the nav tells you to check your oil level. Press OK once, and it wont bother you till you turn the car off. I did check my level, and its perfect.
    You might be able to get to the plug with the car on the ground, and wheel turned to the left (I had the wheel off anyway). Its on the oil pan, facing the pass wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by c4ss View Post
    So have we come to the final conclusion that the sensor is wrong? I mean don't get me wrong, the dinging is annoying as hell, but sometimes I wonder if my oil is really 300+ degrees. It's not right...its the sensor thats messed up? Is there any way to make sure this is the case? My oil pressure and engine temp are usually fine so I usually assume the best. Still kind of worries me a bit though, naturally
    I was worried about the same thing, but theres no way it can go +/- 20-30* in seconds. And the coolant temp is the same if the oil temp is 200*, or 300*. But I was convinced when I turned off the car, turned it back on, and the oil temp drops 70*.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Just got back from a short ride. At startup, the nav tells you to check your oil level. Press OK once, and it wont bother you till you turn the car off. I did check my level, and its perfect.
    You might be able to get to the plug with the car on the ground, and wheel turned to the left (I had the wheel off anyway). Its on the oil pan, facing the pass wheel.

I was worried about the same thing, but theres no way it can go +/- 20-30* in seconds. And the coolant temp is the same if the oil temp is 200*, or 300*. But I was convinced when I turned off the car, turned it back on, and the oil temp drops 70*.
    Good to Know!

Yea i was thinking the same thing... No way go the actual temp go from 300+ down to 220 - then back up to 300+ in 6 seconds.

mikedi57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

If i do a high speed run say 20 seconds, 135 + mph, I get a warning, Think that is normal, that the oil is actually heating up that fast on a high speed run?

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by c4ss View Post
    I'm with you... i don't want to immediately say it's the sensor. But I don't smell anything burnt on the dipstick, the water temp never goes above 212 and, if all else, the fact that the oil temp jumps from 266 to 300+ and back and forth again indicates something's wrong. Oil is more stable than to swing like that in that short a time (seconds).

I've also noticed that my sensor goes off at different temps - always goes off at 300 degrees, but sometimes it'll go off around 260.

Oh, some day i'll have a 220 oil temp

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

So update on this issue. Today was about 75 degrees and sunny in New Jersey. I realized when I manually turn my lights on (from auto, to down 1 notch), my oil temperature goes up approximately 25 degrees. Try this on a warm day and see if it happens to you. Damn sensors on this car

Yea its def. electrical, and it seems to be VERY common on these cars. Most people just dont notice it (i think) - Its gotten to the point to where I almost thought about selling the V - Its drives me NUTS!!! I love my V - but one problem after the next, and the numerous trips to the dealer are making me second guess owning this car.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

I would offer to go over the grounds with ya, but your gonna have to bring it to Torrance.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    I would offer to go over the grounds with ya, but your gonna have to bring it to Torrance.
    I was gonna try n clean up the ones on the head, and plug it back in.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

I suggest you use a good stiff wire brush to clean it up (especialy the aluminum head surface) and a new star washer.

There are about three places on the rear of the heads that have ground points.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.