Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by LV_V What do you mean by "check your battery ground"? I am trying to sell my V ...
    CtsVrod is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V / 06 Escalade

re: Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98).

Quote Originally Posted by LV_V View Post
    What do you mean by "check your battery ground"? I am trying to sell my V but want to resolve this oil temp gauge issue before doing so. The dealer already did the TSB, twice, and the issue has come back...
    I think Heavy means check the connection, make sure its properly fastened etc. I just had the dealer call me after taking it back for the 3rd time (Different Dealers for the last two times), and they swear they fixed it, I was told that the resistor was sending the wrong voltage to the Gauge, especially when any other electronics where enabled. Im going to be picking it up today, so we'll see what happens. If it works I'll give you guys the details... Im keeping my fingers crossed.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

The battery grounds (some of them) are made to aluminum surfaces on the rear of the heads.

You might need to take a wire brush to the contacting surface and a star washer probably wouldn't hurt either.

onebadcad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!

I feel like I am at an AA meeting,,,

My name is Darren, and I, too, have the oil temp sensor issue. Goes from 220 to 300 in about half a nano-second. Problem started three years ago, after the motor swap, my tech spent at least 8 hours trying to fix, no resolution, so I told him to unplug the sensor. Reconnected it two months ago, changed the oil to 15W, same problems, from 220 to infinity (and beyond) within seconds, alarm sounds, my kids get the shakes and start bailing out rear doors at 70mph---okay, I am lying about the kids' thing. I am ready to pull the plug again, as when the alarm is dinging/buzzing/pissingmeoff at 300, the oil is about 40psi and the coolant is at 190---I would be concerned if these two gauges were out of the norm. Hey, who needs the oil temp if the car runs fine,,,

The oil temp makes sense for your autocrossers and track guys, but I would rather live with a faulty sensor---cheap bastard am I!

Quote Originally Posted by onebadcad View Post
    I feel like I am at an AA meeting,,,

My name is Darren, and I, too, have the oil temp sensor issue. Goes from 220 to 300 in about half a nano-second. Problem started three years ago, after the motor swap, my tech spent at least 8 hours trying to fix, no resolution, so I told him to unplug the sensor. Reconnected it two months ago, changed the oil to 15W, same problems, from 220 to infinity (and beyond) within seconds, alarm sounds, my kids get the shakes and start bailing out rear doors at 70mph---okay, I am lying about the kids' thing. I am ready to pull the plug again, as when the alarm is dinging/buzzing/pissingmeoff at 300, the oil is about 40psi and the coolant is at 190---I would be concerned if these two gauges were out of the norm. Hey, who needs the oil temp if the car runs fine,,,

The oil temp makes sense for your autocrossers and track guys, but I would rather live with a faulty sensor---cheap bastard am I!
    Yep Sounds About right!! Yea I even told the dealer if they can just get rid of it, I would be perfectly fine with it... but that dinging is HORRIBLE!! Seems like alot of V's have had this problem some have had luck with the TSB fixing it (even if it returned later) and some have had no luck whatsoever.... Im hoping/praying that the dealer figured it out this time... They said it runs perfect, and there is not a thing wrong anymore... Temps dont rise above 230 - We'll see about that

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I had mine in to have it fixed shortly after buying it about a year ago. Although the temperature improved, I still don't think it's fixed. In normal driving my oil temp runs ~240-245F, which is about 30F higher than I've seen others post. (And about 30F higher than I would expect for oil temp on a street engine.) When I turn on the A/C the temp doesn't immediately go >300F, but it does instantly jump 20-30F, and it drops right back down as soon as I turn the A/C off. So it's better than it was before, but it ain't right.

I actually have an Autometer electric oil temp gauge sitting in my garage. It'll be going into my Mustang car eventually, but maybe before I undertake that project I'll just do a temporary install in the V to see how the Autometer gauge compares to the factory gauge.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

v-sam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Did they try replacing the sensor?
    Bulletins are good but sometimes the car actually has a bad part on it.

Spoken like a man that spent countless hours chasing down my oil temp problem.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

What's even worse is when the replacement part is defective.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Oh man... don't get me started on that one!
    It doesn't happen often but man when it does.... nothing like thinking you have just fixed something only to find the same problem... or a new one!

onebadcad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!

Took my V to a carshow last night, air temp was around 80, about 25 miles to get there, cruised at 75mph, hit 329 degrees at around the 20 mile mark, coolant was 192, pressure was 40, there were times it bounced from 270 to 329 abd back to 270 within 5 seconds,,, car is fine, sensor blows.

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

TSB for my 04 took care of oil temp issue at the track,

Thanks to Bill and crew at Lidsay Cadillac !

Mine seems to be better now... Looks like they replaced the Wiring Harness... Keeping my fingers crossed!!

odla is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

hey onebadcad where was the show at?

LV_V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Evo Green V Coupe - 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by onebadcad View Post
    Took my V to a carshow last night, air temp was around 80, about 25 miles to get there, cruised at 75mph, hit 329 degrees at around the 20 mile mark, coolant was 192, pressure was 40, there were times it bounced from 270 to 329 abd back to 270 within 5 seconds,,, car is fine, sensor blows.
    I have been having the exact same problem. Taking into the dealer today to have this "fixed" for the third time...

Mines STILL not Fixed... It doesnt happen as often as before but its still really high, and goes off occasionally. Good Luck, hopefully they can figure your out.... I've been emailing back and fourth with Cadillac Customer Care about this issue, and there last response was "What are you seeking from Cadillac?" UMMMM.... My Oil Temp Sensor to not be malfunctioning!! After 5 Dealer visits I really dont wanna take it back.

LV_V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Evo Green V Coupe - 6MT

Alright. Gotta love the dealership. What a f*#$ing joke...

I get my car back today. They say they test drove it 3 times trying to get the oil temp overheat warning to come on; to no avail, of course. I pick it up and drive it home and guess what comes on before I even get home (~5 miles away)? The f'ing oil temp overheat warning. I wanna just scream at them. So ridiculous. This is why I, and others, hate dealing with the service department.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.