Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Try this: With the oil temp reading "high" turn on everything, A/C and lights. Watching the oil temp, turn off ...
    heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98).

Try this:

With the oil temp reading "high" turn on everything, A/C and lights.

Watching the oil temp, turn off the A/C and lights.

Does the temp drop?

If it drops as soon as you turn the stuff off, it is a bad ground.

That could be a bad ground at the sensor end.

The temp sensor is part of the oil level switch on the pan.

Since you said everything worked till it got wet, the sensor connector may be funky as that is the only one under the car (for this circuit I believe).

Pillow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade ESV & 2005 CTS-V

My oil temp gauge is starting to flake out as well. Tested with the dash dimmer switch last night. As the dash lights go from brighter to darker the oil temp fluctuates drastically. Simple test that works!

I will probably perform the Big 3 at the same time as some people seem to have done. Just 4 gauge wire, I'm not going full bore with 0 at this time.

FWIW ALL ALL my GM vehicles over the years suffered from cruddy grounds. They just need cleaned yearly and occasionally the main grounding wire replaced. I think with todays sensitive electronics they are more susceptible to ground resistance issues.

Great thread!

Pillow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade ESV & 2005 CTS-V

Ok, update. I only cleaned the hood strut mount grounding location and the problem is solved.

Cleaned the contact surfaces thoroughly and then applied some di-electric grease and bolted the strap back down. 5-10 min job.

Big thank you to this thread's contributors!!!

mac_henderson2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V LS6
    Cleaning grounds worked here. Cleaned hood support, back of heads, starter, engine, and the ground under the air filter. Running down the highway at 110mph and 75* outside oil temp was only about 215. When I turned on the a/c the temp only went up an additional 6*. Car also starts better so I'm pretty happy

TST_Brah is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 V

Look like I've got this issue too now. Happened yesterday for the first time and had me worried for a minute. Alarm went off and the temp was around 290. Noticed it bouncing around from 260-300, so I was slightly less worried when I saw that. Got home and parked it, popped the hood, didn't feel or smell abnormally hot. Turned the key on, and temp was down to about 238. "Hrmmmm that's weird, wonder if this is a real issue." The water temp was a bit high, round 220-230.

Question...will the fans run with the key on engine off? Just want to make sure the fans are coming on as well. Double checked because I replaced the radiator two days after I bought the car because it gave out and started spewing dex out the top seam. And yes, I plugged the fans back in lol.

Guess it's time to start down this rabbit hole and take care of this thing.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The fans will run with the key off. Sometimes my fans kick on as I am walking away from the car presumably from the heat soak from coming to a stop.

The fix in post #98 does do the trick for most cases.

kbraniff is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock

I have this problem too. Mine's an 05 108,000. Mine happens in very slow or stopped traffic. Happened a few times with A/C and/or defroster on (compressor engaged). If I can get moving through traffic it will cool down after a while as long as I keep air flowing through the engine bay. I've heard about ground wire problems at the sensor but haven't checked mine yet.

Update: I did the fix on the grounds that were the most easily accessed (under hood support, in fuse box and two in the trunk). After I was done I drove the car about 10 miles and heated it up good. Oil got to about 230. Next morning I took a short trip (about 40 miles) and the oil got up to about 240. On the trip home the oil temp got up into the 290's and the alarm came on. The owner's manual suggests letting the car idle to lower the temps but the oil temp went well over 300 so I decided not to do that anymore. As long as I keep moving the air flow seems to lower the temps and, since the fix, they do decrease faster.

I did have one thought where I could have made a mistake. Especially on the ground wire below the hood support is it necessary to take it down to bare metal? I scuffed it up pretty good but there is still some paint around the bolt hole.

Quote Originally Posted by kbraniff View Post
    Update: I did the fix on the grounds that were the most easily accessed (under hood support, in fuse box and two in the trunk). After I was done I drove the car about 10 miles and heated it up good. Oil got to about 230. Next morning I took a short trip (about 40 miles) and the oil got up to about 240. On the trip home the oil temp got up into the 290's and the alarm came on. The owner's manual suggests letting the car idle to lower the temps but the oil temp went well over 300 so I decided not to do that anymore. As long as I keep moving the air flow seems to lower the temps and, since the fix, they do decrease faster.

I did have one thought where I could have made a mistake. Especially on the ground wire below the hood support is it necessary to take it down to bare metal? I scuffed it up pretty good but there is still some paint around the bolt hole.
    Since the issue persists, I would (a) freshen the top grounds that bolt to the back of both the driver's side and passenger side cylinder heads; (b) take the hood strut ground to bare metal with a star washer; (c) replace the oil temperature sender; and (d) add a ground to the ground wire that runs to the oil temperature sender.

AAIIIC is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Update: I did the fix on the grounds that were the most easily accessed (under hood support, in fuse box and two in the trunk). After I was done I drove the car about 10 miles and heated it up good. Oil got to about 230. Next morning I took a short trip (about 40 miles) and the oil got up to about 240. On the trip home the oil temp got up into the 290's and the alarm came on.
    Did you have your A/C on when the temperature went >300F? If so, next time it happens, turn off the A/C and watch what happens to oil temperature, then turn the A/C back on and see what happens. I used to see a 40-50F swing in a matter of seconds just by turning the A/C on and off.

Bare metal-to-metal contact is best, but it's not the end of the world if there's still some paint there.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, 19x8.5/10" CCW T140s with Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Thanks guys. I figured the grounds on the heads would be next but I was trying to avoid that. I've heard about the faulty ground on the sensor itself so I also figured a new sensor and added ground would be next.

I don't use my A/C much but the one time I tried it out yes the oil temp alarm sounded. Happens when I use the defogger too seemingly because the A/C compressor engages. Yesterday I tried to eliminate certain conditions when the alarm sounds but turning off the lights, radio and disconnecting all other unnecessary electrical devices. The oil temp did decrease but only about 10 or 15 degrees or so. One thing I did notice last night was the oil temp stayed low I believe due to the weather was a little cool and damp. But the temp swung from about 230 to 114 instantly then back again just as fast. Obviously that did not seem normal...

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

There is one other ground for the dash on the left side under the carpet side well area next to the shifter. The oil temp goes to the dash readout first, then is class II'd to the computer. Try cleaning up that one.

As these cars get older, the grounds don't get better.

Remove the bolt and install a "star" washer between the bolt head and the terminal, not between the terminal and chassis. This is your main chassis ground.

AAIIIC is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    There is one other ground for the dash on the left side under the carpet side well area next to the shifter. The oil temp goes to the dash readout first, then is class II'd to the computer. Try cleaning up that one.

As these cars get older, the grounds don't get better.
    Can you provide more detail on where we should be looking, or a pic maybe? Is it accessible by pulling out the shifter surround, or do you have to pull the center console to get to it? Thanks!
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, 19x8.5/10" CCW T140s with Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

See attached.
    Attached Files

Thanks heavymetals. The ground by the shifter was not on the list I had. Definitely I'll check that one. I wasn't sure about the placement of the star washer. I'll re-check the one I just did by the hood support. And, as usual darkman, the pdf's are awesome. No doubt where to look now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.