Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). - Page 15
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by verywhitedevil I just purchased this with the Hotwire kit. So you have pics on your ground kit ...
    OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Re: Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98).

Quote Originally Posted by verywhitedevil View Post
    I just purchased this with the Hotwire kit. So you have pics on your ground kit installed?
    It's very simple. A wire from the battery terminal to the chassis ground. I will add a picture when I get a chance.

spdracer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Man am I glad I found this forum. I just bought a 2005 V last week. I was reading about sat nav update firmware. I noticed this thread but payed little attention to it because I wasn't experiencing the sensor problem. Yesterday the oil temp alarm went off. And panic ensued. Then I remembered this thread and started watching temp go from 300 to 270 then 250 then back to 300 and realized it must be the ground issue. so this morning I cleaned up the chassis ground and installed star washer. Temps now staying under 220 and not fluctuating so bad. When I have more time I will attack the other ground wires. Thanks for saving me a bunch of stress. If I hadn't read this thread I would still be stressing out thinking I just bought a broken car.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by verywhitedevil View Post
    I just purchased this with the Hotwire kit. So you have pics on your ground kit installed?
    If I remember I'll grab you one tomorrow. It is really simple though, I have mine run to an open bolt near the 18mm strut bolts. I think its like a 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by spdracer View Post
    Man am I glad I found this forum. I just bought a 2005 V last week. I was reading about sat nav update firmware. I noticed this thread but payed little attention to it because I wasn't experiencing the sensor problem. Yesterday the oil temp alarm went off. And panic ensued. Then I remembered this thread and started watching temp go from 300 to 270 then 250 then back to 300 and realized it must be the ground issue. so this morning I cleaned up the chassis ground and installed star washer. Temps now staying under 220 and not fluctuating so bad. When I have more time I will attack the other ground wires. Thanks for saving me a bunch of stress. If I hadn't read this thread I would still be stressing out thinking I just bought a broken car.
    Yeah the dinging alarms can be quite nerve racking until you realize its a grounding offset issue. Thanks those early pioneers like Heavymetals and Reed for the direction to go down!

ddeem is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

I know this battery ground to the chasis seems simple but after having this problem for two years, nothing has been simple for me. Can someone explain hot to connect this 8" hotwire kit (Racetronix) with the battery terminal lugs that are provided? I do not see any 10mm bolts near the battery or strut tower that would be a quick connect. In addition, doesn't the battery ground go directly to the strut tower now? I have replaced the oil temp sensor, cleaned grounds on the back of both heads & main strut ground, added the star washers, added a ground wire from the black lead on the sensor pigtail to the lower part of the chasis and still have this jump in the oil temp from 220 to 300 in seconds while driving. I am at a loss and would really appreciate any help to finally resolve this issue...

mlimanti is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have added this ground wire from the negative battery terminal to the chassis ground, and this still does not fix the problem. It is a large battery cable. Is there any reason why a large gauge wire would be any less beneifical in solving this issue?

mlimanti is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Where exactly is the sensor? I think I would like to try grounding it.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Sensor is on the passenger side of the oil pan. To the inside of the wheel. It has three wires.
    Knowing I can't trust the sensor, I cut the wire for the temp, I think it was green and white (look back several pages). Now I get --- in my display but the oil level sensor still works. FYI same sensor for oil and temp.

joshuajohn1981 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS V

OK guys, I have a question, and I'm sorry if this has been covered but bear with me. I am looking at buying a V and when I went to test drive it it was having the oil temp gauge issues. However, the coolant level was staying nice and steady and didn't show any issue. In your opinions, would I still be safe buying this car? The price is pretty damn right! Thanks

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The probability that the indicated high oil temp is anything other than a gauge/grounding issue is quite small. You could, presumably, attempt cover the issue is the sales agreement.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

My fix in post 217

I would think your safe. You WILL be annoyed, but safe.

Talyon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth CTSV & 2004 SRX V8 AWD
    Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. 1.00 worth of washers and no more oil temp warnings. My bad ground was at the passenger side fender. 5 mins and done. Thanks again

V user is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTSV

Well I added the star washer and it worked until I drove in the rain and then it started again. The next fix is
    to ground the sending unit from the oil pan to a chassis ground anyone else do this yet? Where did they attach the ground?
    I have to put the car up to install my new Revshift trans mount and will take car of the ground at the same time.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by V user View Post
    Well I added the star washer and it worked until I drove in the rain and then it started again. The next fix is
    to ground the sending unit from the oil pan to a chassis ground anyone else do this yet? Where did they attach the ground?
    I have to put the car up to install my new Revshift trans mount and will take car of the ground at the same time.
    The best solution is to add an additional grounding strap from the battery to the chassis. I have tried everything else and this is the only one that has worked for me long term.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

The two "main" grounds are:

1. Under the hood support. This one is the WORST and you have to wire brush the surface, both sides of the terminal, everything else on the bolt and use contact cleaner on the threads. Install the star washer between the bolt and cable terminal, not between the cable and surface.

2. Right above the starter motor. Engine ground

OTHER GROUNDS:

3. Behind the heads, two.

4. Driver side near radiator bottom.

5. Dash board instrumentation, buried in the dash

A couple of guys (I think it was a couple) found a bad crimp for the ground connection on the sensor plug in.

V user is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    The best solution is to add an additional grounding strap from the battery to the chassis. I have tried everything else and this is the only one that has worked for me long term.
    Well I went this route , I even had some leftover 4 AWG and bought nice connectors to make it look nice. And still have the problem so either the sending unit or the ground somewhere else?
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.