Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Twitch Check this thread for reference: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...connector.html I noticed the plug was loose during my clutch install. ...
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Re: Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98).

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Check this thread for reference: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...connector.html

I noticed the plug was loose during my clutch install. Slid it back in, but with all the work going on I forgot to secure it . Anyways, my oil temp has not gone above 210 (usually around 235 with light driving) and I'm up at least .5V.

Tony
    Sweet thanks Tony. My temps are still going off and I am to the point of replacing the sensor and/or grounding it better. I'll check out the connector though.

EDIT/ Which connector of yours was loose? The level/temp sensor plug or the starter connector? (I know my starter connector looks scary so I'm not sure I wanna go plugging and unplugging up in there! Brittle old plastic might not like it.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

On the starter, right above the big wire you bolt down. The clip was broken and I just slid it back in. Only reason I even saw it was cuz the tranny/cats were out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    On the starter, right above the big wire you bolt down. The clip was broken and I just slid it back in. Only reason I even saw it was cuz the tranny/cats were out of the way.
    Thanks. I will take a look at it when I get a minute to get underneath her. Thats what she said.

ddeem is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Well, I can't explain this one... I had the high oil temp gong alarm for the last two years. It was getting worse and would typically go off 10 times during a long trip...even when it is cold out. Definately worse in warmer weather. I cleaned up the ground on the fender well but it did not fix the problem. Never got to cleaning the back of the head or other grounds...

My motor mounts were completly shot and totally seperated. You could spin the top of the mount inside of the bottom larger portion of the mount. I replaced with the new Creative Steel mounts. Guess what, no more overheating oil alarm. I have been driving now for 3 months in cold and warm weather and the oil temp never goes above the 225 area. I can not answer what could have fixed this? The only thing I did was remove the negative battery cable during the install due to the starter being so tight to the mount & swaping in the new mount.

All that I know is this... Something I did during the motor mount upgrade fixed my oil temp alarm issue... I don't believe there is any continuity through the motor mounts so I am pretty much stumped...But very happy...

Dave

FINALLY FIXED!!!

I have had this finally taken care of for about a month now and its consistently in the 90's so I know I am good to go. Just ended up running another ground wire from the stupid sensor and that took care of it! (Temps don't exceed 224* and no combination of windows/ac/etc will cause it to raise).

iwantactsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V with a nice lobe

Fluctuating oil temp

Today I was driving in some good old Texas heat and my oil temp warning indicator beeped at me. I checked the oil temp and it read 295. I got really worried and coasted for a little but and the temp dropped to 240. I decided to try and make it home, during which the temp fluctuated around 250-270, spiking once more to the 280-290 range.

I never had this issue before my header and cam install in 6000 miles of driving. I driven less than 1000 miles on with the new setup so far. Mods are B&B headers, SNL cam (with supporting hw), intake, modified exhaust and tune. I currently do not have a 160 thermostat or oil cooler.

Anyone have a similar issue after mods? Trying to figure out what I need to do. I'm guessing oil cooler?

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: Fluctuating oil temp

Got a digital voltmeter?

Go read the sticky about high oil temps.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Got a digital voltmeter?

Go read the sticky about high oil temps.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...arms-here.html

iwantactsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V with a nice lobe

Cool...I'll try that. If it reads high and I don't add the washer, aside from the annoyance of the alert, no issues, right?

Thanks guys!

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

I did it about a week ago and have noticed more consistent oil temps. It should work and a pack of 10 of those washers only costs $1.

Need Help...

Does anyone know if the oil level / temp sensor is one combination sensor? I have cleaned the grounds on the back of the head, main battery ground, replaced the oil sensor in the oil pan and added a jumper from the negative to the frame. Seems to work better for a while but I am now getting the alarm again. Turning on / off headlights and air conditioning causes the oil temperature to jump 50 degrees. I seem to be all out of options and and really sick of this alarm for over two years now. I wanted to make sure I replaced and added the jumper to the correct sensor.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Yeah it's the same sensor.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

It is one sensor.

Just "cleaning" the connections may not fix the problem.

Do you have a meter?

Measure the voltage drop across each connection (bolt head to battery negative).

Also, could be a bad crimp in the plug that goes into the sensor.

Thanks for the quick reply... I just read this entire thread again and will add the star washers to the grounds. Also, you may have something with the sensor plug. When I replaced the motor mounts the problem went away for a while. I probably banged against this plug and shook it up a little... My ground jumper is directly outside of the plug but if the plug is bad internally, none of these fixes work.

I am going out with the volt meter now and will add the washers first. Hope it is not the plug as it looks like something hard to find...

Thanks again - Dave

Cobraguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

The only problem with that fix is it doesn't make one bit of sense. The oil temp grounds through ground number 142...which is the back of the passenger side head.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.