Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Twitch I'll be getting to that one soon. It bothers me that my car rarely stays above ...
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Re: Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98).

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    I'll be getting to that one soon. It bothers me that my car rarely stays above low 13's voltage wise.
    Yeah It didn't seem to change anything for me but I need to go back through and star washer all of them. I am getting a lean spike for a second after each shift but it could actually be tied to our grounding offset and not actually a true lean spike...ah Mod Hell how I love you.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Take a wire brush to the lug and the surface.

Put the star washer between the bolt head and the lug, not between the lug and the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Take a wire brush to the lug and the surface.

Put the star washer between the bolt head and the lug, not between the lug and the surface.
    Hmmm I sure will, hopefully this takes care of all of the anomalies that I have.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    Yeah It didn't seem to change anything for me but I need to go back through and star washer all of them. I am getting a lean spike for a second after each shift but it could actually be tied to our grounding offset and not actually a true lean spike...ah Mod Hell how I love you.
    Lean spikes between shifts seem pretty common. I don't pay enough attention to them to know if I get it or not. Still good to find more ground points to clean up.
    '05 Platinum l LPE CAI l Magnaflow l V1 (hardwired), w/ custom mount l UUC shifter l UUC Alcantara shift knob l K9 GEAR rear seat cover lHID fogs lHotchkis sways lCG-Lock l Specter Bushings l FG2s l Ground control 550/600 l MAGGIE 439RWHP/414RWTQ (Dynojet) l Heavys fire extinguisher bracket l Interceptor scan-gauge l Billet pedals l Meth l NO HEADERS l Original diff l 90mm upgrade l 2.6" drive pulley l LS7 clutch w/16lb. FW l Alcantara

Lean spikes between shifts seem pretty common. I don't pay enough attention to them to know if I get it or not. Still good to find more ground points to clean up.
    Yeah that is what I am reading/finding as well. Also my electrical gremlins tend to come out when the revs dip low (similar to shifting). Perhaps it has something to do with the voltage drop when the motor isn't spinning the alt. as fast?

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    voltage drop when the motor isn't spinning the alt. as fast?
    If you didn't have a 122, I'd recommend an 8" pulley
    '05 Platinum l LPE CAI l Magnaflow l V1 (hardwired), w/ custom mount l UUC shifter l UUC Alcantara shift knob l K9 GEAR rear seat cover lHID fogs lHotchkis sways lCG-Lock l Specter Bushings l FG2s l Ground control 550/600 l MAGGIE 439RWHP/414RWTQ (Dynojet) l Heavys fire extinguisher bracket l Interceptor scan-gauge l Billet pedals l Meth l NO HEADERS l Original diff l 90mm upgrade l 2.6" drive pulley l LS7 clutch w/16lb. FW l Alcantara

If you didn't have a 122, I'd recommend an 8" pulley
    Heads (and all the trimmings), and Cam are next on the list. Gotta beef up the valve train anyhow so I am figuring "while I'm in there"! Then perhaps I will look at getting the boost back up where it is now with an 8 rib setup including the 8" crank pulley.

On a thread related note I spent the good part of 3 (back crunching) hours today locating and cleaning grounds. Preliminary results are good but I will wait a week or two before I say yes for sure and upload some more pics.

Got these fixed! All I had to do was raise the Clutch in DFCO to 284*. Everything feels much nicer when I am getting back on the throttle now and when I push the clutch in it feels nicer.

UPDATE:
    Spent about 3 hours the other day and finally got these high temps under control! I still can make them fluctuate with turning on/off accessories but only by a few degrees and not 20 like before.

I ended up adding star washers to the following grounds as well as sanding the lug and area the lug attached to. (didn't sand the heads just cleaned them)

Drivers side head rear.

Passenger side head (both rear not pictured and the side facing the fender/battery pictured)

The ground below the underhood fuse box.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

The first rule in ASIC design: GROUND IS NOT GROUND

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    The first rule in ASIC design: GROUND IS NOT GROUND
    I had to Google ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) and I still don't know what the heck it is! I can share in the head banging though as these damn cars and their electrical gremlins can be frustrating. Although it wasn't all for not as I was able to clean up some wiring and route the evap and fuel line a bit cleaner and out of the way...

mrmojo95 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Cts-v Ls7 Clutch/Fly, Cam, LEDint/ext, side exit exhaust

What a great tribute to the Forums! Thank you to all for this information, i will be implementing it soon...I'm curious has anyone noticed that on a cold cold day, (key on, no start) the oil temp can be quite a bit below the actual or forcasted ambient temp? I wonder if this is related or just a weird attribute of oil? I'm in Texas, so I have only seen it on a rare morning here...

Quote Originally Posted by mrmojo95 View Post
    What a great tribute to the Forums! Thank you to all for this information, i will be implementing it soon...I'm curious has anyone noticed that on a cold cold day, (key on, no start) the oil temp can be quite a bit below the actual or forcasted ambient temp? I wonder if this is related or just a weird attribute of oil? I'm in Texas, so I have only seen it on a rare morning here...
    I'd say its the correct temperature in that scenario. The engine would hold the cold from the night before and even though the ambient was now warmer it would read colder.

The grounding offset issues take some driving time to show themselves.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mrmojo95 View Post
    I'm curious has anyone noticed that on a cold cold day, (key on, no start) the oil temp can be quite a bit below the actual or forcasted ambient temp? I wonder if this is related or just a weird attribute of oil?
    I figure it's just a bit of gauge inaccuracy. The oil temperature sending unit is optimized for measuring temperature well above freezing, whereas the external air temperature sending unit is optimized for measuring the typical range of air temperatures.

A sump full of cold oil will warm slowly as the ambient temperature rises (so the oil temp will lag behind the air temp), but I've seen my oil temp indicating 3 or 4F lower than the air temp ever got. That's not a weird attribute of oil, that's just error in the indications.

kevm14 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V

You'd get a better feel for accuracy by comparing oil temp to coolant temp right at startup.

Check this thread for reference: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...connector.html

I noticed the plug was loose during my clutch install. Slid it back in, but with all the work going on I forgot to secure it . Anyways, my oil temp has not gone above 210 (usually around 235 with light driving) and I'm up at least .5V.

Tony

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.