Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it

151K views 211 replies 58 participants last post by  matt2thepoint 
#1 ·
I know that many have had problems with their Oil Temps reading incorrectly.... Mine has been acting up lately, and after the 3rd dealer visit, it still went off on me today on the freeway. It seems to stay ok until warmed up (approx 30 mins) then jumps up to around 240-250 then if I slow down/stop, or Turn on the A/C it Jumps up to 300 and Ding Ding... SOOOO ANNOYING! Its weird because it seems to be Steady, but high, until i come to a stop, or turn on A/C, The dealer has done the Ground Fix, 2 times at one dealer, and 1 time at another... I got off the phone with them and want me to bring it back on Monday. Seems like my car is at the dealer more than at my house :crybaby:
Anyone Ever Resolve this Issue?? Anyone have the same problems when turning on their A/C?? I would just ignore it, if it wasnt for that stupid Chiming Sound going off!

#3 ·
I have the CadillacFaq Memorized - Doesn't Help

Either way... That is an OLD fix, that no longer applies, the new TSB is to Re-Wire the Ground Wire from the Sensor to the Kick Panel... This supposedly fixes it, but not mine!! :banghead:

#12 ·
The grounds that are on the back of the heads can be a problem source also.

Also, check your battery ground.
What do you mean by "check your battery ground"? I am trying to sell my V but want to resolve this oil temp gauge issue before doing so. The dealer already did the TSB, twice, and the issue has come back...

#6 ·
Oil Cooler is your friend... The LPE adaptor, one 150 coupler and one 180 coupler as well as a 8-10 pass cooler will solve any heat issues you may have...I am runnin at 220F in the oil Pan while the ambient temp is about 120+...

With all the hot ambient temp hooverin in that engine bay you need to cool it all off.

I presently have a 8 pass on and am thinkin of upgradin to the ten pass but i need to do a few things prior to that.

1. Need to remove front bumper, then send to body shop for paintin...Scrapped it on the way down a ramp.
A. Remove Condensor / Radiator / Radiator Fan
2. Install New Camshaft
3. Send side fenders to body shop to make Brackets to hold on new CF ones
4. Change all Bulbs in Headlights to be Low amp draw and high output.
5. Put it all back together...

Then Drive Drive Drive

#7 ·
Oil Cooler is your friend... The LPE adaptor, one 150 coupler and one 180 coupler as well as a 8-10 pass cooler will solve any heat issues you may have...I am runnin at 220F in the oil Pan while the ambient temp is about 120+...

With all the hot ambient temp hooverin in that engine bay you need to cool it all off.

I presently have a 8 pass on and am thinkin of upgradin to the ten pass but i need to do a few things prior to that.

1. Need to remove front bumper, then send to body shop for paintin...Scrapped it on the way down a ramp.
A. Remove Condensor / Radiator / Radiator Fan
2. Install New Camshaft
3. Send side fenders to body shop to make Brackets to hold on new CF ones
4. Change all Bulbs in Headlights to be Low amp draw and high output.
5. Put it all back together...

Then Drive Drive Drive
Naf, you're gonna have to fill me in on the details there once you get that done. I remember you briefly mentioning the problem before, but I didn't really get the whole picture. I'll have to bug ya later. :D

#8 ·
It was the battery ground for me. But I was pretty sure mine was not truly a high temp issue with the oil because it was jumping around wildly in my case (240 to 300 back to 245 up to 310 all within seconds, and up and down with AC like in your case). If its heading up after warming and staying up, I would be sure to check it out.

#15 ·
I feel like I am at an AA meeting,,,

My name is Darren, and I, too, have the oil temp sensor issue. Goes from 220 to 300 in about half a nano-second. Problem started three years ago, after the motor swap, my tech spent at least 8 hours trying to fix, no resolution, so I told him to unplug the sensor. Reconnected it two months ago, changed the oil to 15W, same problems, from 220 to infinity (and beyond) within seconds, alarm sounds, my kids get the shakes and start bailing out rear doors at 70mph---okay, I am lying about the kids' thing. I am ready to pull the plug again, as when the alarm is dinging/buzzing/pissingmeoff at 300, the oil is about 40psi and the coolant is at 190---I would be concerned if these two gauges were out of the norm. Hey, who needs the oil temp if the car runs fine,,,

The oil temp makes sense for your autocrossers and track guys, but I would rather live with a faulty sensor---cheap bastard am I!

Reactions: j_Son
#16 ·
Yep Sounds About right!! Yea I even told the dealer if they can just get rid of it, I would be perfectly fine with it... but that dinging is HORRIBLE!! Seems like alot of V's have had this problem some have had luck with the TSB fixing it (even if it returned later) and some have had no luck whatsoever.... Im hoping/praying that the dealer figured it out this time... They said it runs perfect, and there is not a thing wrong anymore... Temps dont rise above 230 - We'll see about that

#17 ·
I had mine in to have it fixed shortly after buying it about a year ago. Although the temperature improved, I still don't think it's fixed. In normal driving my oil temp runs ~240-245F, which is about 30F higher than I've seen others post. (And about 30F higher than I would expect for oil temp on a street engine.) When I turn on the A/C the temp doesn't immediately go >300F, but it does instantly jump 20-30F, and it drops right back down as soon as I turn the A/C off. So it's better than it was before, but it ain't right.

I actually have an Autometer electric oil temp gauge sitting in my garage. It'll be going into my Mustang eventually, but maybe before I undertake that project I'll just do a temporary install in the V to see how the Autometer gauge compares to the factory gauge.

#18 ·
Took my V to a carshow last night, air temp was around 80, about 25 miles to get there, cruised at 75mph, hit 329 degrees at around the 20 mile mark, coolant was 192, pressure was 40, there were times it bounced from 270 to 329 abd back to 270 within 5 seconds,,, car is fine, sensor blows.

#21 ·
I have been having the exact same problem. Taking into the dealer today to have this "fixed" for the third time...

#22 ·
Mines STILL not Fixed... It doesnt happen as often as before but its still really high, and goes off occasionally. Good Luck, hopefully they can figure your out.... I've been emailing back and fourth with Cadillac Customer Care about this issue, and there last response was "What are you seeking from Cadillac?" UMMMM.... My Oil Temp Sensor to not be malfunctioning!! After 5 Dealer visits I really dont wanna take it back.

#23 ·
Alright. Gotta love the dealership. What a f*#$ing joke...

I get my car back today. They say they test drove it 3 times trying to get the oil temp overheat warning to come on; to no avail, of course. I pick it up and drive it home and guess what comes on before I even get home (~5 miles away)? The f'ing oil temp overheat warning. I wanna just scream at them. So ridiculous. This is why I, and others, hate dealing with the service department.

#24 ·
Alright. Gotta love the dealership. What a f*# joke...

I get my car back today. They say they test drove it 3 times trying to get the oil temp overheat warning to come on; to no avail, of course. I pick it up and drive it home and guess what comes on before I even get home (~5 miles away)? The f'ing oil temp overheat warning. I wanna just scream at them. So ridiculous. This is why I, and others, hate dealing with the service department.
Perhaps they are lying to you, but then again maybe they are not. It is possible they did test drive it 3 times and the problem did not occur. My point is just that intermittent problems can be frustrating for everyone involved. I wish you luck.

#27 ·
I had mine going off on the way to the dealer - So when I pulled in I didnt shut the car down - I ran in Grabbed my Service Writer turned on the A/C, and BAM 270...280... DING DING - But they still cant fix it!! I've even contacted Cadillac directly, and they have been no HELP at all.

#28 ·
So does anyone know what is really causing this behavior?? I can reduce the behavior by cleaning the ground connections, etc., but I can't completely eliminate it. I also can turn the car off and right back on and the issue will go away again. (That tells me that the temp isn't really the temp at that point because it goes from 325 (ding, ding) to 210'ish simply by turning car off and on.)

What else can I do here to get it to go away? (How do I know when the sensor itself is bad? Is that DIY changeable?)

#29 ·
Same deal here had it in 3 times for same thing, last time they did the wiring bulletin and changed the oil temp sensor, it is a little better but still not right, running 240 and with AC and hot day in the 270 range, still way off.
I don't know what to do either at this point! Cant understand why they cant fix it if so many cars have the same problem, mine is an 05. BTW the service manager drove with me and observed the crazy 20-30 degree changes in a matter of seconds.

#30 ·
I'm going to bump this oldish thread. Anyone have any updates on the issue? Anybody found the winning solution?

My '05 has the same issue. I'm going to take it to the dealer to have it looked at but I'm not hopeful.

This seems like a grounding issue: the change with the A/C being turned on and off, the improvement with cleaning the engine block grounds, large reduction in the temp reading by just turning the ignition on and off. As discussed earlier, it sound like a floating ground on the temp sensor, and the voltage difference between the temp sensor ground and the real ground slowly increases as the car is operated.

Do any 06 or 07 V's have the problem?

Perhaps we could examine how their oil temp sensor is wired.

#31 ·
Wow My Old Thread... Still have not fixed the problem.... Its actually going back to the dealer tomorrow for this issue again.

I know for sure its electrical. It's also linked to the Tail lights (while Braking), and after the car is nice and warmed up 30+ mins. But it sure is anoying!!!

#32 ·
Looks like I got it now :mad:

#33 ·
Must be contagious...

Some V owners might have the same issue, just dont even know it.

It only happens when I've been in Traffic for 30+ mins.

Driving for 30+ mins, sometimes coming to stop w/ AC On.

So If your driving short trips, and not using AC, etc. You might never get this issue.

I can make it come on now though... Since I've dealt with it for soo long. Just wait for the Car to Warm up (30+ mins) Hit the Brakes, Turn on AC, Hit the Window Up Buttons, and WA LAH!!! Ding Ding Ding - Pisses me OFF!!

#34 ·
I had this problem all last summer... too lazy to take it in... first "nice" day this year with a 1 hour drive... trouble kicks in...

I really need to get off my rump and just take it in... I have started a nice laundry list of warranty items, so it will be "worth my while"...

#35 ·
Where is the sensor? I may end up unplugging it. But I wanna clean up all the connections first.

#36 ·
Mine comes on whenever I have the A/C running. Just wanna know where the damn sensor is. I saw something on the pass side of the oil pan. Could that be it?

#37 ·
mine drives me crazy! 2005 LS6, if the outside temp is 70 or above and I drive for 10 minutes, the temp is up to high 200s. If there's traffic, I commonly peg it out at 329 with an oil pressure of around 24psi and water temp of around 210. The oil temp will jump from 329 to 266 back to 293, etc. within seconds.

I haven't gotten a dealer to look at it for me yet. I need to look up the TSB numbers and hope that'll point them in the right direction.

Any other advice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.