Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98). in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Glad to hear such positive results. Of course you know only supporting members are allowed to use this fix.........
    heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

re: Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98).

Glad to hear such positive results.

Of course you know only supporting members are allowed to use this fix......

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Took a two our trip in the evening. It was 85* and the temps were in the 220 range for a while. Turned on the fog lights (A/C on but not headlights) and it quickly rose to high 250s. As soon as I turned off the fogs it instantly dropped back to 220. However, by the end of the trip with A/C and headlights on she was up around 240. This is consistant with last weeks trip. That one was only with the A/C on.
    When I get the chance, I'll clean up the connections on the startert. They were pretty bad last year, and my voltage in usually in the low 13s.

Tony

814V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 PLATINUM CTS-V

Heavy,

Yesterday I pulled off the bolt under the hood support and sanded the paint, cleaned up the battery terminal and my problem is gone. Today its 115 outside and i just turned on every light possible and the AC on high and the temp doesnt bounce around anymore. Thanks again

Derek

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Re: Damn! High Oil Temp and alarms? Here is a fix for it (page 7 post #98).

Ok so I measures the the voltage drop at the ground on the side with everything on. Not too bad at .130 mV. I went ahead and cleaned the paint off and added the star washers. Looked around for some more grounds. Found two ground wires broke off at the back of the DS head. I fixes those and star washered them too. Found another ground up by the computer and star washered it as well. The temp no longer bounces all over the place but I still get a spike when I turn on the A/C and lights. I can also make the temp decrease when I slide the dimmer down when the lights are on. Anybody have anything I could check? The only grounds I haven't checked yet are on the PS head. I'd like to put this crap to bed and thought I would by fixing those broken grounds but it didn't work for me.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

There is one other ground on the passenger side of the motor right above the starter.

ogamiitto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post

The culprit in his case turned out to be the ground right under the hood support and very easy to get at.

Sorry guys but I am just a newbie to the forum. If I am looking at the engine from the front, where is this bolt located?

Michael

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

"Right under the hood support", as stated in the sentence you quoted. There's only one hood support, so I'm not sure I understand what more information you're looking for.

Left edge of this picture, the bolt right next to where the hood prop attaches to the fender. You can see the thick black cable running to it.

Fudge!!!

Hot assed summer! Oil temps are still a bit off, but no where near 300.

Well, I went to the track yesterday. It was in the low 60s, so I figured I'd be fine. WRONG, after a few hot laps in the first session it started gonging. FYI it was still jacket weather at this point lol
    Normal driving it's between 225 and 245.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Strangely enough, at V Day 4, when it was hot as hell, I didn't get any alarms until the final session. At VIR 2 weekends ago, with ambient temps about 20F cooler, I was getting the alarm every session. I wasn't pegging it at 329F like I used to, but it was getting into the 3-teens indicated. My cruise temps are the same as yours (in other words, too high).

Later this week I'm planning to temporarily install an Autometer gauge reading oil temperature from above the oil filter, where the Vettes (and F bodies?) had their temp sensor. Just waiting on 12mm-1.5 to 1/8" NPT adapter so I can put the Autometer sending unit in place of the Vette sending unit.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

BLSracing is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

This was a consistent problem for me. 300+ oil temps having no correlation to driving style or outside temps, high oil temp alarm 'Bonging' all the time. I noticed the strange relationship with various electric accessories especially the sunroof. I thought it screamed of a ground loop issue. So I removed the ground at the Pass side strut tower, found the metal fully painted including ID of the threads. Pathetic GM QC... Anyway, scratchy scratchy until it was shinny and the problem is gone for good. For good measure, you should clean up the lug face while you're there is case there is some corrosion. If you want to go crazy, a star washer between the lug and the sheet metal with some 'No-Ox' Electrical Grease would be a good idea, but I didn't bother.

cheers,
    mh-

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    Found another ground up by the computer
    I missed this part. Where exactly is this ground?

Vecstasy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I put a star washer on mine. So far (knock on wood) I haven't seen anything above 230! I am very happy!

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Well I am getting to join the club! I did the hood prop ground before my 850 mile trip to PA and never got one ding and the temp hovered around 220. Fast forward to the return trip and it is bonging again! Although I couldn't be happier because the initial "fix" took care of my LC-1 Wideband problems for which I was about to "fix" with a new O2 sensor.

Monday I will check out all my grounds and install my catch can I got for Christmas, we shall see.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Little Update with an additional ground located:

This ground is located below the under hood fuse panel and is a 10mm. Of course the spot underneath was completely painted and the ground itself was somewhat "weathered". While I didn't do a wonderful clean up job on it I did what I could without getting under the car.

I don't think this still has completely fixed my problem as the gauge still changes with different items turning on/off but at least it isn't bonging! (For now).

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    Little Update with an additional ground located:

This ground is located below the under hood fuse panel and is a 10mm. Of course the spot underneath was completely painted and the ground itself was somewhat "weathered". While I didn't do a wonderful clean up job on it I did what I could without getting under the car.

I don't think this still has completely fixed my problem as the gauge still changes with different items turning on/off but at least it isn't bonging! (For now).
    I'll be getting to that one soon. It bothers me that my car rarely stays above low 13's voltage wise.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.