Oil Temp Reflash still not available? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Oil Temp Reflash still not available? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I got talked out of going to the 3 day event this weekend by my biz partner. Not sure when ...
    Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Oil Temp Reflash still not available?

I got talked out of going to the 3 day event this weekend by my biz partner. Not sure when my next road days will be, but as I said in the other thread when Englishtown opens their road course I may be there for smaller events. The only problem with PDA is that there is the potential for accidents or to hit walls (2 accidents the day I went) so I don't know. Personally I don't care but people are bellyaching at me to be careful. Shucks.

jeffgtx is offline Cadillac Owners Member

the only time i am not satisfied with the car lately is when i am here reading these posts... they make me feel like i bought a camry... now i am worried i didnt get mobil 1 on my oil change cause i didnt think i had to ask for it from teh dealer...

with no proof that the new cars got the reflash, i dontthink we can say that they are sticking it to previous owners. in fact i still think they are putting it in a care baskeet with some new FG2-and-a-half suspension package that will arrive at every existing owners doorstep to say here... your oil temp is right now and how about a 4.6 0-60 time for ya? thanks for buying a caddy.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

You didn't know the V has a Toyota engine?

:rolleyes2

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JKG
    When one of the magazines tested the car 6 months ago, they had a problem with wheel hop, rubbery shifter, and oil temp warning. That article indicated those were all problems of the prototype and would not be production issues. Obviously, absolutely nothing has been done by GM about any of the issues.

The shifter is what it is, and wheel hop is apparently just part of the design, but this oil temp problem is bad. I assume it is a calibration issue, and that my oil temp is not 40 degrees higher than water temp every day. Good thing we have synthetic oil. GM's lack of interest is frustrating, and I would not be surprised if the new cars have no fix.

I love the car, but am disappointed with acceleration below 3500 RPM. I have a friend with a Z06 that is MUCH faster than the V. The shifter really is lousy, and the exhaust is lame. I would never repeat this anywhere else, but I find the acceleration disappointing. (The handling and braking are awesome, though.) No one can match GM's claim of 0-60 in 4.6 seconds...
    Agreed... apparently the oil temp thing is two fixes... the first one was on the cluster side and done prior to production... and the second one on the voltage side. BUT, BUT.... HOW could they not have noticed? I put a call into the head comms exec at GMPD who apologized for the problem, confirmed what that he was told the same thing as me back in March (that something would be out in two months) and promised to contact the engineering team to understand the hold-up. As many of you know, I am very patient with new car things... but this is a bit annoying now.

As far as power, the LS6 engine should have the same powerband characteristics in boths cars... but the V does weigh 800 lbs more, with only a 3.73 (vs 3.42) axle to try and help it along... so yes, it will feel sluggish compared to a Z06. And that 4.6s crap is something that GM needs to address accross the board... they're still going to sell'em if they claim 4.9s (or anything under the magic 5s) which MAY be possible.

Trilio is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Maybe I am the only one to experience the secondary result of the false oil temp reading. What happens next if you ignore it long enough as I did at Road America is that the computer will put the car in "limp" mode which shuts down cylinders so they suck cool air to protect the engine. My experience was on a nice cool april day and since then can only manage a couple of low speed autocross laps before the alarm goes off. Perhaps I am overly sensitive but at RA at over 130 MPH and trying to pick the proper line, let up point , brake point, turn in point and exit, that alarm and a flashing warning going off is more than just a nuisance. Having the car go into limp when setting up a 100 MPH kink was really interesting to say nothing about the worry that I just destroyed my engine. Don't get me wrong the car is awesome in the truest sense of the word. Wheel hop is no concern as I am not out to impress anyone at stop lights. I am just PO'd that GM isn't working as hard as they should on solving a problem on a car that is so important to their plans, at least not for those of us that gave it the great kick off we did. 6 months is too long to wait period!!!

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Whoa...nice... put the car into "limp home" mode... I've never heard of that happening for oil temps on a Z06... but I suppose it could. Mostly it's coolant temps or a mechincal issues (i.e. throttle body issue).

Pull the codes, if you have P1518 or P1514 it's a mechnical problem... though i'm sure you're right, it was probably oil temps

Did the display show: "Reduced Engine Power" ?

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I haven't got it into limp mode even after 20 minutes of the chime....

But it's getting hot in NC and the f-in thing is chiming almost every day I get on it... Something is seriously screwed at GM... this isn't a money thing - sounds like one big cluster-f in their process. I'd be very patient if this was complicated, but when it's apparently a software re-flash I am know getting a bit itchy.

OK... clam down know.... remember my meds...

TNT V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My V was built in April and I've had no problem with high oil temps. They run almost exactly the same as on my C5. I just came back from a very agressive run with the Corvette Club in hopes of seeing if the problem exists in mine and the oil temp never went over 215. Did the factory do a fix at some point along the line?

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Bulletin number is: 04-08-49-017.
    DOC ID: TBD
    Afftects: V-series built prior to vin breakpoint 40181396 and built prior to April 14,2004

Above is the breakpoint.. Prior to that, oil temp is wrong.. after that, you are fine.

Info is on the FAQ as well: Http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Reed
    htttp://www.cadillacfaq.com

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

So if my car was built before april 14 I should try to ignore that chime. No damare will be done to the motor?? Cause its really hot and that oil sensor goes off all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadss
    Bulletin number is: 04-08-49-017.
    DOC ID: TBD
    Afftects: V-series built prior to vin breakpoint 40181396 and built prior to April 14,2004

Above is the breakpoint.. Prior to that, oil temp is wrong.. after that, you are fine.

Info is on the FAQ as well: Http://www.cadillacfaq.com

Reed
    htttp://www.cadillacfaq.com

TNT V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadss
    Thanks! I'm 40183690, so that answers that question. Any other late model year improvements that anyone is aware of?

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

referring back to the notes complaining about the fix in new cars but no retrofix yet: this may be due to the fact that the mfr. can control the installation of the software for the new cars, but not sold cars; having dealers do it requires the preparation of instructions, training the dealers and "dealer hot line" tech support personnel, and testing to see how badly it can be screwed up in the field.

Since it is a retrofit, beleive it or not, they will also have to have everything reviewed by the legal department which...well.....you know.....

The General, like many huge companies, are very big ships that manuever very slowly.

I haven't encountered the chime yet but I haven't spent a day at the track yet. As the summer hits the mid-atlantic I guess I can expect to see temps climb above the usual 250 or so that I see.....

D

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.