GtechPro intitial results - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GtechPro intitial results in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Cal CADILLAC across the front windshield has been tested out at another 15hp. i was thinking of ...
    urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: GtechPro intitial results

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    CADILLAC across the front windshield has been tested out at another 15hp.
    i was thinking of doing that....and putting one of those calvins pissing on the Ford symbol on the back....

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Just for clarification, I'm using the GtechPro Competition model. I didn't realize they were both "pro" models in my initial post. Kind of a fun toy, and seems to really consistently let me know when I launch like garbage. Nothing like 0-60 times along the lines of my wife's Murano!

[/QUOTE]Can any one with a pro verify there is a method to download results? On the comp it mentions a serial port (so you can download) on the pro it does not mention this. I also looked at the spare parts you can order from G-tech and you can order a cable for downloading on the comp, but not on the pro.

Dgtal[/QUOTE]

Dgtal -

I can verify that the standard pro version does not, repeat does not allow you to download results. At least this is true for the one I used to have. I purchased it about 2 years ago and it had no serial port or otherwise, to the best of my recollection.

The competition model does have some software, a serial port and cable. I'll try to play with it this weekend.

Also, I had a hard time getting the unit to recognize the RPM signature. I finally mounted it to the instrument cluster, just to the right of the speedometer and it picked up the RPM's pretty good there.

DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V CAI, CAM, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I have the regular G-Tech Pro I got a couple years ago for a present from my girlfriend. She said she paid $130. I can ask her where.

It is raining and wet here in MD today so this weekend I will get some numbers.

The G-Tech Pro does not hook up to the computer. It shows readings for

0-60 time
    60-0 braking distance
    1/4 mile ET
    1/4 mile trap speed
    Horsepower (at wheels)
    Intantaneous G's
    Continuous G's

As I mentioned earlier, it is consistent. I used it on my 1986 Camaro IROC-Z that had an auto. I just hit the gas and did not have to worry about inconsistentcy from shifting.

I used it for any mods I did to see what difference they made off of an initial run (HP reading).

DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V CAI, CAM, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus

fyi -- on ebay the regular g-tech pro is about $50.oo USD.

Dgtal

JBsZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp

The newer one for 249 is great..Its got a three stage shift light and registers 60ft times, 330 ft etc..as well as zero to 60mph..

I found the 60 ft times to be most beneficial to getting the launches right without having to worry about tickets etc..

Getting the 60ft times really dictates a great portion of the acceleration times throughout the quarter mile...

The shift lights are excellent to nailing the shifts too.

I have had both gtech units and strongly recommend the newer one for 249 dollars.

I got mine from www.pfyc.com

OK, I've been playing with this thing off and on over the last week. What I've found is that it is VERY consistent (when I am) if nothing else. For those of you interested in the More Performance CAIK, it is worth it. There has been a measurable gain. Sorry, I still have not played with downloading yet.

Prior to installing the CAIK my best launch was from day one with 5.029 0-60, 109 mph - 13.677 1/4 mile.

Since them my 0-60's are right there, with a best of 4.838 and are consistently (at my secret test bed, of course) about 1/10th faster since the CAIK was installed. Mind you I'm doing my best to avoid wheel hop and keep the clutch/tires alive. The 4.8 0-60 listed above was a very sweet slipping clutch, mild squirming launch that I doubt I'll ever be able to duplicate. Normally I'm achieving 5.2-5.3 0-60 - FWIW.

My best 1/4 mile currently stands at 13.274 112 mph. This was before the CAIK - as I've not had the space for 1/4 mile runs since then - only short romps up to 70 mph or so.

I've also read and tried out the HP estimation function and if I'm doing it correctly, it is showing 346 hp as a best so far. I believe the manual states this is net HP so not sure how it applies. Incidentally, this number also comes from the fastest 1/4 mile listed above. EDIT - Not actually from the 1/4 mile run - just managed to do that run during the same time period. The method for measuring HP is different and 1/4 mile runs will not give you the best estimation, per the manual.

Just thought I'd update. I'm having a blast with this "toy". The best part is that it did in fact record a performance increase after my first engine mod - the CAIK. Makes me feel better about spending the cash now.

Just FYI, YMMV.

Vedder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Is your 0-60 consistantly 4.8-4.9 or just that one launch?

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder
    Is your 0-60 consistantly 4.8-4.9 or just that one launch?
    I have only managed one sub 5 second 0-60 - and that is the one I listed. I am consistently about 5.2-5.3 0-60 time. I do believe that if one wanted to destroy the clutch & tires in short order, you could manage multiple sub 5 second (maybe even 4.6 seconds - but don't think I can pull that one off) 0-60 times. It would just be somewhat costly.

0-60 doesn't make or break this car in my book. Wheel hop is more important to me as I've experienced it not only on launches, but cornering, 2nd gear, and rain which are far more common occurences in the real world, at least in my book.

I'm still using a weight of 4,050 lbs in the Gtech Competition, however, I did weigh in at the scale across the alley from my shop (salvage yard) and the number was 4,028 lbs. 1/4 tank of gas, and my arse I suppose. They claim their scale is accurate below 8,000 lbs to +/- .5% FWIW.

I'm confident that I, with some practice, and a willingness to replace parts/argue warranty when necessary, I might manage a 13.1 (dare I say 13 flat) in the next few weeks during an evening test and tune at top gun raceway in Fallon. I'll give it my best for the hell of it. Of course, my old CBR600F3 ran low 12's nearly bone stock without abuse...but that's a different world.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I am installing this thing today. Thanks for the tip on the RPM thing earlier in the thread I will keep everyone posted once I figure it out, and install the software as well for the heck of it.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

13.2 first run

13.4 second run (at 96mph, go figger!)

13.8 third run (horrible launch)

The thing is still calibrated a bit funky, but my best 0-60 time was 5.2sec.

I'll get the hang of it and get some better graphs I can actually upload to the computer.

I wish I had a video camera for the burnout I did, I was trying to heel/toe launch since I was on a bit of an angle and when I let off to rev to 2200rpm I would drift backwards, and I floored it too early. Had at least a 15 second burnout with the ass end wiggling every which way as I prevented her from going 90 degrees. Fun times!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.