Winter driving
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Winter driving in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Has anybody had any experience driving a V on winter roads? Is it possible or should I budget for a ...
    WannaV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Winter driving

Has anybody had any experience driving a V on winter roads? Is it possible or should I budget for a backup car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Winter driving

Even trying to get moving from a stop is a huge challenge with a bit of snow on the ground... the traction control will kick-in almost immediately... you can switch that off and spin your wheels. Definite need for SERIOUS winter tires.

As a side note, the V is awesome in the rain. The tires whisk away water and stick well, and the traction and stability control works great if you get greedy with the throttle. The "compliant" nature of the bushings and suspension also help IMHO.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

In a word...YIKES.

I don't even like driving the car on wet roads, I would only take the V out in the snow if my life depended on it.

AZstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '09 CTS-V

It's been about 110 degrees here in Phoenix the last several days. I can't even image snow at this point. Then again, it hasn't rained here for 65 days, and we don't expect rain for another month or so. Ah, life in the desert.

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

I have never taken mine out in the snow but based upon my experience w/ RWD in western PA, I would expect your traction control to buzzin' all the time.

Besides, where would you get Supercar snowtires?

For bad weather, I run a 4x4 Ford pickup that can take the weather and abuse (road salt and grime)

CadillacBoy1992 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Winter time? Thats the best time of the year to have some fun. I like to find a empty parking lot and do some "stuff". You don't need to even go over say 20mph to get some slide. It's a great way to learn car control skills.....ok ok ok so it's alotta fun also . Just make sure you don't go very fast cause I learned the hard way in my Explorer that you slide forever on ice . But thats the fun I guess.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

There is no tire made that I know of that is V or W rated that would do well in the snow. I am running Goodyear Eagle HRs (H rated M&S) on my T-Bird SC and they are actually quite good for snow traction but I certainly wouldn't push them at high speed.

I don't plan to drive my V in the winter here in Colorado any more than necessary even if I find something more aggressive for snow than the F1s. A second car is a must for snow travel - leave the V in the garage.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Bridgestone Blizzaks would do the trick, and come in performance sizes... but as mentioned speed rating will be an issue. So you mount them on separate wheels and only use them in the snow, and I doubt you will need to go much over 100+ on slush and salt covered roads. In Europe there is less stigma about mounting snow tires (and chains) on expensive cars (i.e. Porsche, BMW, etc). But just the same, if I personally planned on driving in the snow, a 4WD truck it would be.... hell, your investment in wheels and tires will go quite a way towards buying a beater anyhow. Dan

Wienk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I plan on buying a set of wheels and snow tires. I do the same with our BMW M Roadster, which is worthless with Pilot Sports in the snow, but with a skinnier (same diameter) Winter tire it is driveable all winter in Chicago. I expect the same will be true with my new V, if I can find the right tire size. Tire Rack already lists a couple of winter tires that might be close enough in overall diameter, a Bridgestone Blizzak in 235/45-18 and a Pirelli Winter 240 Snow Sport in 235/50-18, both V speed rating. So I can only go 149 mph in the Winter, so what? And, they probably will have more to pick from by Fall.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Bridgestone Blizzaks would do the trick
    Blizzaks are not a snow tire as much as they are an ice tire. Their rubber compound does a fine job gripping slick surfaces. However, for snow more than a few inches deep you need a snow, winter, or all season tire with aggressive tread on the edges for reasonable traction.

Wienk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

West of Denver you get SNOW! Here in Chicago we get slush, a mixture of snow, salt, and road grime. Winter tires are quite adequate to such driving.

T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS

all this is the reason i went with an escalade EXT instead of a V or vette. i'd rather have the performance, but have to get to work in the winter no matter what the weather is like.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.