Rolled With A Very Fast Pick-Up Truck(Lightning).
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Rolled With A Very Fast Pick-Up Truck(Lightning). in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I was enjoying my V today and I came upon a Lightning(Ford, I think). As I was passing the truck, ...
    V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.

Rolled With A Very Fast Pick-Up Truck(Lightning).

I was enjoying my V today and I came upon a Lightning(Ford, I think). As I was passing the truck, the driver(tints) sped up next to me and pumped the gas a few times. The truck jumped to attention. Not downshifting, I put it to the floor in 4th. We rolled nose to nose for a good 40 mph or so. Then we were coming up on traffic so I backed off. Has anyone else rolled with nice vehicles out there???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Rolled With A Very Fast Pick-Up Truck(Lightning).

M3
    CLK55 AMG
    CLK430 AMG
    Lancer EVO
    SVT Cobra
    V8 STS (hehe)

That's about it so far.

Walked 10+ car lengths on the 430. M3 was even, EVO pulled ahead on a 2 second turbo drill but I walked him as he laid off. SVT didn't REALLY want to go, but pretended and got smoked because he let off. I dropped out of the STS in 2nd gear as I was pulling ahead, if that gives you any idea of how ridiculous that was, just goofin around.

And the summer has barely begun!

MotorMouth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I come across fast cars all the time. Actually look for them. The V is such a sleeper I love to see their contorted teutonic faces when the V blasts by. BMW guys are the best. With close to 400 ft/lbs of twist there are VERY few cars that can run with the V if you start when both of you are moving. The V's challenge is launching from a dead start.

Sounds like you were pretty slow at start (only up to 40 when you quit) next time get it down to second. Otherwise all you do is let this "pickup truck driver" think he got the best of you. I know we got lots of torque but work the gears bro. She simply screams when you stoke her right.

Also with the V's brakes that mammoth Ford POS, not you, would have to brake first or smash into the cars in front of him....................Throw some curves into the mix and you will never see that truck again.

Now get back out there and do us right!

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I rolled with a Porsche in newport beach a few weeks ago... I was behind him at the light (3 guys in it- no plates- test drive maybe...) he took off and I took off.... I pulled to his left after we cleared the intersection and traffic.... We were very close, but I was ahead by about a half of a car length before we shut down approaching the next light.... He and his friends were all smiles and I am sure he was thinking... "what has he got in that thing".....

Those FORD lightnings are very fast trucks (14 sec 1/4).. next time down shift and you will walk away from him above 60 MPH...

Reed
    Http://www.cadillacfaq.com

P.S. My girlfriend loved it!

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadss
    I rolled with a Porsche in newport beach a few weeks ago... I was behind him at the light (3 guys in it- no plates- test drive maybe...) he took off and I took off.... I pulled to his left after we cleared the intersection and traffic.... We were very close, but I was ahead by about a half of a car length before we shut down approaching the next light.... He and his friends were all smiles and I am sure he was thinking... "what has he got in that thing".....

Those FORD lightnings are very fast trucks (14 sec 1/4).. next time down shift and you will walk away from him above 60 MPH...

Reed
    Http://www.cadillacfaq.com

P.S. My girlfriend loved it!
    unless it's got pulley and some other minor mods in it.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

I had some fun this past Thursday with a convertible Cobra. Guy and his girl tooling along at 65 in a 65. I rolled by at 75 not really paying attention. Then I heard him hit it and pass me. He slowed down to 65 again and I gained with the cruise set at 75. As I got next to him (with his top down) I shifted into neutral and burped the throttle twice. He looked over and smiled and I "hit it". Clutch in, V in 3rd, revs up to 4,000 then released the clutch. The V lurched forward and he pursued. He stayed within 4 car lengths never gaining but never falling back either. We slowed after a run up to 1**mph (won't admit). He gave me the thumbs up which told me he was NOT playing possum. Fun stuff.

BTW, before the lectures start. I don't weave in and out of traffic and never do I "play" in traffic or on surface streets. The open highway is just that, open highway.

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Lightnings are pretty fast. I had one and found that all the power was down low. A V should be able to kill one from any kind of roll and pull away fast after 100mph.

DgtalPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V CAI, CAM, BB X-pipe, Baer Extreme Plus

-M3 (in town traffic)
    -M5 (onramp of freeway then down the freeway)
    -Cobra SVT (this guy and I ran freeway and light to light)
    -"worked" Mustange (This guy was pissed and try several times as if the three lights we ran were "luck" on my part.)
    -SRT-4 (in town traffic, and the guys buddy was laughing so hard when they pulled up to the light I was waiting at for them he wouldn't even stop and talk)
    -Mazda RX-8 (was a little to easy)

I would like to try out a Subaru WRX.

Dgtal

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

The STi is about as quick as the Evo and they will basically pull away from you at a jump, but the V will easily trounce them in the 3-digit mph range. We have a crapload more pull from 3rd gear on, their 4 bangers weren't meant for that kind of abuse. From a rolling 45mph or so the Evo got about 1 length on me, then couldn't pull away anymore, except he let off before I hit the higher rpms in 3rd so who knows what would have happened.

Clintonwmills is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have had some really good races this past week, lucky I guess This car is made for that. It is so much fun because people have no idea what they are getting into. By the way I am very safe, but it is a bad hobby!

My first was a Porsche V8 and we pulled up next to each other at about 10 MPH, both sitting in 1st. Any V owner knows, nothing is going to get the best of you once you are already moving. So we both hit it at the same time and I walked on him as if he was sitting still. Didn't even need to put it into 2nd, because he already know what was up. Now the ironic thing about this is I pull up to an EVO right after that. I am thinking I just blow away a V8 75K Porsche and I am sitting next to a inline 4 POS, with a big wing. The guy is going crazy about my car, loving it (he must have some what of a good taste.) and the light changes and by the time we get the other side of the intersection he is a car length away. He never pulled any further, but I was dieing. This thing just took me off the line. So I had to stay with him and get another try and stick up for the V owners all around. I know he would be telling all his friends he beat a V. So we got side by side first gear and I finished out 2nd with him at my bumper. I even let him hit it first. Like everyone says this is not the best drag car out there, but if you do it right you can run low 13 and if you are already moving you are a 12 second car!

By the way, I raced a new SVT yesterday. Those are the best to race. We both pulled onto the onramp and I was about 4 inches from his bumper the whole way on (not that smart), and I had to let up. (He had to feel pretty bad, with a four door car all on him with nothing he can do) He wouldn't roll with me after we got on the highway. And his was modified.

It's a lot of fun, but be safe!!! Keep the storys coming, I love hearing them. O yeah and my borther has a Z06, don't mess with them at a light, only if you are in 2nd. But i guess my borhter can really drive 12.5, no mods.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Clintonwmills
    I have had some really good races this past week, lucky I guess This car is made for that. It is so much fun because people have no idea what they are getting into. By the way I am very safe, but it is a bad hobby!

My first was a Porsche V8 and we pulled up next to each other at about 10 MPH, both sitting in 1st. Any V owner knows, nothing is going to get the best of you once you are already moving. So we both hit it at the same time and I walked on him as if he was sitting still. Didn't even need to put it into 2nd, because he already know what was up. Now the ironic thing about this is I pull up to an EVO right after that. I am thinking I just blow away a V8 75K Porsche and I am sitting next to a inline 4 POS, with a big wing. The guy is going crazy about my car, loving it (he must have some what of a good taste.) and the light changes and by the time we get the other side of the intersection he is a car length away. He never pulled any further, but I was dieing. This thing just took me off the line. So I had to stay with him and get another try and stick up for the V owners all around. I know he would be telling all his friends he beat a V. So we got side by side first gear and I finished out 2nd with him at my bumper. I even let him hit it first. Like everyone says this is not the best drag car out there, but if you do it right you can run low 13 and if you are already moving you are a 12 second car!

By the way, I raced a new SVT yesterday. Those are the best to race. We both pulled onto the onramp and I was about 4 inches from his bumper the whole way on (not that smart), and I had to let up. (He had to feel pretty bad, with a four door car all on him with nothing he can do) He wouldn't roll with me after we got on the highway. And his was modified.

It's a lot of fun, but be safe!!! Keep the storys coming, I love hearing them. O yeah and my borther has a Z06, don't mess with them at a light, only if you are in 2nd. But i guess my borhter can really drive 12.5, no mods.
    which porsche did you run? to my knowledge only the cayenne is v8 rest are flat 6.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend

955?

rabid is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I think one of the older models has a V-8. 928 maybe?

MotorMouth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yeppers...........The 928 had a V8. Nice enough car back in the 80's but kind of a pig.

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Run a few of the group we've all seen, mostly from rolls:

M3 (won one, tied one, two different cars)
    M5 (neither of us were really trying)
    RX8 (in the twisties, a friend of mine, during break in so it was close)
    R32 (another friend, in the twisties, and these two cars are actually pretty fun to rally against each other, though the V wins handily)
    Lightning (surprised me, and not enough room to find out the truth before he bailed)
    A few 'vettes of various breed (damn, there is one friggin fast Z06 around here, rolling or not)

But lately it has been boy racer week around here. Seems the kids in the EVo's, STi/WRX, and SRT4's are out of school and wanting to play. All relatively quick cars, but I haven't really ran against any of them heads up yet. Haven't had the opportunity in a safe place as of yet.

I did chase down an SVT through the twisties this morning. I guess he was tired of me being right on his ass (he was trying) and finally pulled over after about 15 miles. After I got around him it was a beautiful open road for the next 32 miles and then I was at the end of my journey :-(

It is a blast to be in a sleeper...but it seems the public is learning through the mags and maybe just first hand experience what that nifty little V emblem is all about on these cars.

By the way, not to Bimmer bash, but why is it that most of the M3's I see have a somewhat arrogant looking younger male with two of his friends slammed in there with him (at least this is true of this one convertible I keep running into). Chances are he'd beat me if he dropped some of that dead weight!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.