CTS-V top speed? - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V top speed? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Will be making a video of a 175 mph or better this weekend. If I get some new front tires. ...
    sleepys4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS V

Re: CTS-V top speed?

Will be making a video of a 175 mph or better this weekend. If I get some new front tires. Will have gps to confirm. Stay tuned!

kelleyperformance is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by bpitas View Post
    I have an '04, and I've found that the LS-6 really needs to be high in the RPM band to get any real power out of it, and if you're not, plenty of "regular" cars will walk you. Cars that you wouldn't think you would need to downshift for. I find that I have a tendency to drive my V like my LS1 Vette, which is not downshift unless I'm racing something significant (like Vette/Viper/M5/M3/AMG, etc). But with the V, you'll get embarrassed if you do that, and then you have to live with the knowledge that that guy probably went to his home forum and posted a "kill" on a "slow-ass CTS-V" when he got there.

By the same token, if you're shifting right (i.e. at redline) you can destroy some pretty fast cars.

A 330i (not a 335i) is pretty slow, and if one walked you then there's a problem. Assuming you're not running on 7 cylinders or something, and not knowing where you were shifting, I'd say you needed to be in a different gear. Racing an SRT8, I found that 4th gear is magically faster than 3rd, which doesn't make sense in a torque-multiplication spreadsheet, but proved to be true on the highway. You'd think from a 60mph rolling start you'd want 3rd gear in the V, because you'd be up in the meat of the power band, but I found I actually ran much better starting in 4th even though the starting RPM is lower than what I would consider the lower side of the HP curve.

I'm lowered about 1.5" and for whatever reason my car feels really loose at higher speeds under WOFT acceleration. Could be the shocks I have (k-sport) not having enough nitrogen pressure to stay up under acceleration squat or something, or maybe my rear cradle bushings are shot (again) but once I'm on the loud pedal for a while in 4th, my car starts to get squirmy. If you stay in it, it seems to get a bit more stable, but definitely not as stable as my C5 was. I don't get up to any real speeds often enough to worry about it too much - just thought of it now because I ran up against a new STi on the highway last night and embarrassed him in 4th...
    yea i know on the RPM... i was racing, i tend to run up to the redline he was pulling on me while i was in 4th at about 5k rpms all the way till the shift into 5th. and my car has nothing wrong with it, i am a GM certified tech lol. the cars stable at these speeds, just much slower than id expect. guess aerodynamics and wieght are the main culprits

bpitas is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by kelleyperformance View Post
    yea i know on the RPM... i was racing, i tend to run up to the redline he was pulling on me while i was in 4th at about 5k rpms all the way till the shift into 5th. and my car has nothing wrong with it, i am a GM certified tech lol. the cars stable at these speeds, just much slower than id expect. guess aerodynamics and wieght are the main culprits
    Seriously man - our cars are actually FASTER in 4th gear up than they are at slower speeds (compared to other cars like the M's and SRT-8s) so unless that guy was packing a super/turbo charger or something you should have walked him easy!
    Any chance you were really heat soaked or something? (like getting an opening in traffic after sitting still for a while?) There is NO WAY a stock 330i would even come close to a V... I walked a stock 330i in my old WRX Wagon several times through traffic, and the WRX's terminal speed in the quarter was only 102mph vs 109mph for the V...

Mystical_Ice is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V

...and the WRX's terminal speed in the quarter was only 102mph vs 109mph for the V...

^^^ and that's with a much better start than the V too, by the way.

4 wheel drive vs. 2 wheel, bad rear-end drive

Seriously man - our cars are actually FASTER in 4th gear up than they are at slower speeds (compared to other cars like the M's and SRT-8s) so unless that guy was packing a super/turbo charger or something you should have walked him easy!
    Any chance you were really heat soaked or something? (like getting an opening in traffic after sitting still for a while?) There is NO WAY a stock 330i would even come close to a V... I walked a stock 330i in my old WRX Wagon several times through traffic, and the WRX's terminal speed in the quarter was only 102mph vs 109mph for the V...
    its very possible that the BMW had a dinan package on it or something... those are just stupid fast. that would make the most sense but still. like i said, i feel like my car crawls past 110 or so... ive owned M3's and even two SRT8 300's. i know for fact that the M3 with minor modifications will wipe me out (buddy just did the other day lol) at highway speeds. i kinda pulled about 2 or 2 1/2 cars until about 110 then he began to pass me

the car wasnt heat soaked at all. if anything, the opposite. i had been on a highway going a steady 50-60 mph for about 10 minutes before hand, and that night was about 60 deg which is cold for us

some stats according to fast-autos.net-
    04 CTS- V :
    0-60 mph:5.2 sec
    0-100 mph:12.2 sec
    ¼ mile:13.7 sec @ 107 mph
    Top Speed:163 mph
    Lateral acceleration:.90g
    Braking 60-0 mph:118 ft

i cant find "set in stone" stats for the SRT8 300, but the general stats agree on low 5's 0-60 mph, and mid to upper 16s 0-100-0 mph. that sounds like a damn close race to me.... more so their advantage to the average driver vs. average driver, since their 5spd autos. (425 hp @ 4100 lbs roughly)

the M3 (E46) generally has these stats:
    0-60 mph in high 4s (4.8-4.9 sec)
    1/4 in 13.3 @ 104 mph
    (333 hp @ 3500 lbs)
    top speed of 176 mph (gov removed)

using those, that puts them at (lbs/hp):
    CTS-V: 9.75
    SRT8 300: 9.65
    E46 M3: 10.51

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

My '04 pulls hard and fast all the way to 163. An M3 would need some good mods to be pulling on me anywhere...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

SgtMcClellan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTSV

I maxed mine out at 163MPH on the cruise control between Lubbuck(sp?) and Amarillo, Tx.

VforMe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V with 2 carseats in the back and a f'ing minivan

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMcClellan View Post
    I maxed mine out at 163MPH on the cruise control between Lubbuck(sp?) and Amarillo, Tx.
    On a closed track without anyone else around, right?

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

i would be shocked to see a stock m3 walk on a cts-v....

and even a modded m3 would need a good deal more power to walk a v. from a stop maybe, but not from a roll

814V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 PLATINUM CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    i would be shocked to see a stock m3 walk on a cts-v....

and even a modded m3 would need a good deal more power to walk a v. from a stop maybe, but not from a roll
    ide race one

testosterone? toblerone?

smokisnshellz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

bmw 330i's shoulnever ever beat you in a V!

nevar!

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

and by m3 i meant e46 chassis

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.