CTS-V top speed? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V top speed? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by TGrits10 Threads related to LS6 rpm limits: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1971101 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2000644 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1988291 Thanks for the info. Would be interesting ...
    atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: CTS-V top speed?

Thanks for the info.

Would be interesting to see a dyno graph of a stock LS6 with the rev limit increased to 6900-7000, to see where the power drop off is. Even with a power drop in the higher revs, you'd still have the gearing advantage, which may, in all likelihood, produce stronger acceleration and warrant sticking through the lower gears.

So the ability to hold a gear longer (i.e., accelerate longer for each gear) and have stronger acceleration in that lower gear, during that extended range (relative to one gear higher), poses a very good reason to increase the rev limit. Seems like a relatively simple way to gain performance, if, in fact, we can spin the stock internals that high.

Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10 View Post
    Bouncing off the rev limiter isn't any harder on an engine than sitting at that rpm, it just sounds/feels awful.
    You know, thinkin' bout it, I actually seem to recall, I think, that Stealth offers a soft cut off (i.e., throttle body closing), as opposed to the hard fuel cut off in the stock configuration. In other words, I think hitting the rev limiter is less than ideal, especially, if someone continues to keep their foot in it, leading to a lean state, due to the fuel cut off. I think it's for that reason that Stealth offers a soft cut off - so that you don't risk going lean.

TGrits10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, Black/Tan

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    You know, thinkin' bout it, I actually seem to recall, I think, that Stealth offers a soft cut off (i.e., throttle body closing), as opposed to the hard fuel cut off in the stock configuration. In other words, I think hitting the rev limiter is less than ideal, especially, if someone continues to keep their foot in it, leading to a lean state, due to the fuel cut off. I think it's for that reason that Stealth offers a soft cut off - so that you don't risk going lean.
    Ya know, I hadn't thought about that. Makes a lot of sense.

TGrits10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, Black/Tan

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Would be interesting to see a dyno graph of a stock LS6 with the rev limit increased to 6900-7000, to see where the power drop off is. Even with a power drop in the higher revs, you'd still have the gearing advantage, which may, in all likelihood, produce stronger acceleration and warrant sticking through the lower gears.

So the ability to hold a gear longer (i.e., accelerate longer for each gear) and have stronger acceleration in that lower gear, during that extended range (relative to one gear higher), poses a very good reason to increase the rev limit. Seems like a relatively simple way to gain performance, if, in fact, we can spin the stock internals that high.
    True, as long as you have more power at rev limit than you do at the rpm you shift to, you can benefit from more revs....which may be why there's so much discussion about bumping the limiter on these motors.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Quote Originally Posted by bpitas View Post
    ... I remember reading somewhere (maybe it was "All Corvettes are Red"?) ...
    Good book - Just read it again for the umpteenth time. A similar book on V1/2 development would make for a very interesting read.
    V Owners: Wheelhop sucks. The diff sucks.
    GM's Public Side: It doesn't wheelhop when driven properly and the diff meets design criteria.
    GM Internal Memo: Don't let this happen on V2 or they'll be really pissed.

tdyguy2k is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 12 Blk Diamond CTS-V M6, 05 Stealth Grey V Traded

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post
    whisler what did happen? just curious
    Check this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l-element.html

I asked the same question this afternoon.

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post
    whisler what did happen? just curious
    Sorry...missed this post. Check out http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ph-i-need.html then http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ng-ticket.html to see the conclusion.

Everything is good now. The ticket never hit my record. I'm guessing it had something to do with the three states that had to communicate with each other (Nevada, Arizona and Texas).

cobra29svt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

As fast as I've been in the V so far.

92nsx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V , 07 EXT

Quote Originally Posted by cobra29svt View Post
    As fast as I've been in the V so far.

And then................?????

v-ape is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (did) CTS-V

I got to 155 then had to shut it down. I was on 540 in NC and it was starting to come to a curve/and my exit. Also, my friend with the V1 was in front and I had just blown past his VW VR6, he was rollin at ~140 when I passed him at 155.

He now has a Turbo VR6 and says hes smoked a V from a roll. Anyone in NC want to run him for me? I sold my car and am in Tokyo now.

Arigato, Mr. Roboto.

And then???

I refuse to play your Chinese food mind games!

No and then!!

sleepys4 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS V

174 Mph the other day I have a friend that can confirm. I have the mods listed below. I was doing 162 up a slight hill then hit 6th expecting the motor to fall flat on its face, It pulled steady all the way up to 174, before a turn. It was kinda stable at that speed. It must be from my lowering springs. I know people will not believe this, but I have no reason to lie. It can be done! I will get a video next time.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by sleepys4 View Post
    174 Mph the other day I have a friend that can confirm. I have the mods listed below. I was doing 162 up a slight hill then hit 6th expecting the motor to fall flat on its face, It pulled steady all the way up to 174, before a turn. It was kinda stable at that speed. It must be from my lowering springs. I know people will not believe this, but I have no reason to lie. It can be done! I will get a video next time.
    Your mods aren't listed. Also, a great way to confirm is to get the GPS in the video.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.