CTS-V top speed? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V top speed? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; And for a follow-up question, how expensive/complicated is it to swap in 3.42's? That would move the rev limiter to ...
    TGrits10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 STS, Black/Tan

Re: CTS-V top speed?

And for a follow-up question, how expensive/complicated is it to swap in 3.42's? That would move the rev limiter to 178 and put peak power at just past 160.

MikeNice is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Cadillac cts-v 2006

it's an 05 6 cyl. bone stock...333 hp? but not to be a braggart...i also beat the new v8 a few weeks back...now take into consideration...we are on state enforced highways,...so i'm not gonna say with another driver as wreckless/confident as i were behind that wheel, it woulda made a better race even though the v8 m3 could use more tq. that was obvious. =]
    my only mods are lpe cai, and str8t pipes (cut off mufflers)& eibachs... and a total lack of respect for the law. lol

Mystical_Ice is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V

that's going to catch up with you one of these days.

ask whisler what it's like getting a ticket at 145mph+

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Ice View Post

Agreed! The track has saved me. It humbled me too. I let a lot of would be races go now and just wait for the next track day.

145+ is a felony stop isn't it? Guns drawn, hands up, lay on the ground type stuff.

When it comes to the #'s, StealthV is on it. I think he is a mathmatician. I wish the old graphs were still on that old post. He covered it. Air drag limits it to under 200 I think.

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    We do have a fuel cutoff, however, we won't even hit that without some huge gains in horsepower and/or gearing changes.
    Just for clarification, that refers to 6th and not 5th, right? i.e. at redline, way past power peak, the car can still pull beyond 163 in 5th. How much farther is anyone's guess, though it seems Darth Vader has upped the rev limiter enough to hit 166.
    Fuel cut off occurs at a certain speed and is not related to what gear the car is in. I believe it's at 175 mph. Obviously, with stock gearing and stock red line, 175 mph happens to be in 6th gear. However, even if the gearing/red line were modified such that 175 could be attained in 5th, that would be where fuel cut off would occur. I think fuel cut off occurs even lower, at 168, if possible oil starvation is detected. The fuel cut off can be tuned out, by the way.

If Darth Vader increased his rev limit, he would have had to changed some internals, as well. Otherwise, he'd better be ready for something to let go and, when things let go, they can often take anything else in its path along with it. So it's not exactly a simple 'up the rev limit' and, "Yay, let's go!" type a deal.

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Ice View Post

I very rarely speed anymore because of that ticket.

Fuel cut off occurs at a certain speed and is not related to what gear the car is in. I believe it's at 175 mph. Obviously, with stock gearing and stock red line, 175 mph happens to be in 6th gear. However, even if the gearing/red line were modified such that 175 could be attained in 5th, that would be where fuel cut off would occur. I think fuel cut off occurs even lower, at 168, if possible oil starvation is detected. The fuel cut off can be tuned out, by the way.

If Darth Vader increased his rev limit, he would have had to changed some internals, as well. Otherwise, he'd better be ready for something to let go and, when things let go, they can often take anything else in its path along with it. So it's not exactly a simple 'up the rev limit' and, "Yay, let's go!" type a deal.
    Hmmmm I can't help being skeptical of a limiter well beyond what the car can reach from the factory....I mean limiters are for liability, be it the engine blowing up or the tires blowing out or the car becoming unstable...but if someone goes and modifies the car enough to go 175 then they're far from stock and the factory can't be held responsible....so what gives?

As for the revs, the LS6 is good for almost 7k on stock valvetrain, but the power falls off quick past 6500 on the stock cam so what's the point unless you're swapping the cam in which case you're gonna upgrade the springs anyway. Bumping the rev limiter up is how stock '01-'04 Z06's get from 171 to 175 with no adverse affects.

MikeNice is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Cadillac cts-v 2006

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post
    I very rarely speed anymore because of that ticket.
    whisler what did happen? just curious

Hmmmm I can't help being skeptical of a limiter well beyond what the car can reach from the factory....I mean limiters are for liability, be it the engine blowing up or the tires blowing out or the car becoming unstable...but if someone goes and modifies the car enough to go 175 then they're far from stock and the factory can't be held responsible....so what gives?
    Well, you can ask StealthV to confirm that. He's quite intimate with the tune state of the V and all of it's parameters. Actually, you can ask anyone with LS1 Edit to just look it up with the program. It should be an easy verification, either way.

As for the revs, the LS6 is good for almost 7k on stock valvetrain, but the power falls off quick past 6500 on the stock cam so what's the point unless you're swapping the cam in which case you're gonna upgrade the springs anyway. Bumping the rev limiter up is how stock '01-'04 Z06's get from 171 to 175 with no adverse affects.
    Can you tell me where to find this info? I wouldn't mind increasing the revs, if it were that simple. So does that mean hitting the rev limiter every day will have no ill effect on the engine? Thanks.

Can you tell me where to find this info? I wouldn't mind increasing the revs, if it were that simple. So does that mean hitting the rev limiter every day will have no ill effect on the engine? Thanks.
    I'm going from memory on this from a few years ago when I was up on things (I got busy with life, then I sold my last LSx and bought a Northstar, etc.), but it most likely came from corvetteforum (where I got 95% of my C5 tips) or LS1.com's technical/engine sections (where I was a mod and wasted my college years). The LS6's high-rev durability is similar to LS7 in that both are plenty safe well past factory redline, but there's no power up there in stock tune and it gives GM an extra margin of safety to cut the revs off early.

EDIT: Of course, shixxt does happen...increased rev limit and warranty are mutually exclusive...

What about hitting the rev limiter regularly? Of course, not that I plan to do so, as there's really nothing to gain, besides looking like an idiot. Just outta curiosity.

What about hitting the rev limiter regularly? Of course, not that I plan to do so, as there's really nothing to gain, besides looking like an idiot. Just outta curiosity.
    Bouncing off the rev limiter isn't any harder on an engine than sitting at that rpm, it just sounds/feels awful.

RGRATTAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

155mph in the V no issues felt solid she had more left but too scared of going to jail to test again.
    189 on the bike (04 CBR1000) felt great wanted more, the stock cut off is 186 but I was on a little downhill strech and it crept to 189 for a moment 186-187 all day. :-D. No worries on the bike they can't catch me on two wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by RGRATTAN View Post
    155mph in the V no issues felt solid she had more left but too scared of going to jail to test again.
    189 on the bike (04 CBR1000) felt great wanted more, the stock cut off is 186 but I was on a little downhill strech and it crept to 189 for a moment 186-187 all day. :-D. No worries on the bike they can't catch me on two wheels.
    Heh, yeah on a liter bike you get up to top speed and back rather quick. A car takes juuuuust a bit longer, really gotta pick your spots.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.